BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PNSD
PNSD

Re: BrawnGP

The problem on Saturday was not temperature, but being on the wrong tyre at the wrong time.

At that time the track was warm enough for the Brawn. Nick Heidfeld showed the quickest tyre to be on at the time was the harder of the two, and both Brawns used the softer. Jenson had no grip, and the Q3 time for Rubens was poor given his fuel load. He set that time on the softer of the two whilst the rest used the harder and did a much better job.

gcdugas

mstar wrote:i guess we back to the drawing board, on saturday for qualy when temp was down, jenson struggling to get tyre temp which left him with a unstable car. Jeez i cannot understand this is driving me insane lol

personally i think either they need to help jenson (as his driving style which is a advantage in most cars but not the BGP001) tyres or they will keep suffering on the colder tracks.

either way one positive it seems the team has reduced drag on the car in the last 2 races :D
Use up some of the drag reduction with a bit of extra toe-in F&R. That should heat up the tires very well.As little as a quarter of a degree (15 minutes) should result in a detectable difference.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

mstar
mstar

post race today (monza) rubens commented since Silverstone they have solved his braking issues, any eagle-eyed person seen what brawn actually done for rubens (and Jenson??) for braking?

PNSD
PNSD

Most likley just for Rubens.

He has always been very particular about his brakes. He's had problems with them since joining Honda in 06 and never really been happy.

siskue2005

what exactly is his brake problem?

Super racing
Super racing

they dont work like he wants them to

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Jenson likes a smooth even attack on the brakes, progressive to the turn in where he realeases just after. This way he gives his tyres a break, and can posibly make them last a couple laps longer, fuel permiting every stint.

Rubens likes a sharp instant attack, realeasing over the brakeing zone, realeasing before the turn in. More agressive on the tyres, and good for getting critical temp into the tyres. Rubens likes to come off the brakes just before turning in to a corner.

The problem at the start of the season is that Rubens couldnt get the temps in to the tyres in braking, as Jenso could as the mechanical setup gave Jenson a advantage. Then, Jenson lost some of the mechanical advantage, thus allowing Rubens to use his more agressive style to his advantage with brake setup to get the temps into the tyres.

One thing the BGP001 is very sensitive to is camber, i recon that 0.2 to 0.5 degreese can get the tyres working well or not well enough, and this is one the things that they have to find out each Friday for a succesful setup and weekend.

May be totaly wrong tho.

mstar
mstar

well your right rubens been saying since 06, so why every year he complains about the brakes then they fix it and he is fast again. seems weird every year they have to fix his brake issues.

your right on jenson way of braking he doesn't brake as hard and rolls the car carrying as much corner speed as the tyre allows. the problem is that his style relys on the tyre working to allow him to carry his corner speed. rubens sorts out his braking by braking later generating more tyre temp.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I think they break as late as each other, just that they like diffrent brake styles. Jenson is still breaking on the turn in, basically breaking and turning in to slow the car down, Rubens prefers to brake in a straight line, then realease the pedal, turn in and then get the power down.

Basically, Jenson has more entry speed, but carries it thrugh to the exit till the power goes back down. Rubens has a higher exit speed as he has done all the slowing down first, loosing out on entry speed to Jenson.

Think back to 2007, the same happened at McLaren, Hamilton just couldnt break as late as Alonso, why, brake problems. Hamilton decided at Magney Cours that he would switch from Carbone Industrys to the Hitco Alonso Signature discs (i think) and instantly he gained that .5-.8 a lap on brakes alone. Since then, Hamilton uses the Slonso signature brake discs with either Hitco or Carbone Industry pads, ocasionally he uses Brembo pads, such as in wet races. As brakes were the story of how the STR3 was so fast in the wet last year at Monza. Everyone was on Carbone Industry pads and STR were on Brembo, just perfect for the wet ocasion.

Theres many other ocasions where drivers have complained about brakes, Alex Zanardi had to used steel discs as he couldnt get used to carbon discs, he was used to the steel brakes that CART used at the time.

mstar
mstar

so i guess it really is circuit/corner dependant who is quicker over a lap. So i guess rubens way would generally rely more on the brakes for his laptime?

timbo
timbo

It was also said that Rubens has problems with left foot braking since his leg was injured at Imola crash. His left leg is not as sensitive as it could have been.

zgred

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Practicing a nose cone change during a pit stop?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raceman

zgred wrote:Image
:twisted:

this nose cone is for my car.....

:lol:

pipex
pipex

Any new pics of the new package for Singapore?
Thanks
"We will have to wait and see".