2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

KimiRai wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 16:04
Alonso
“And we need to get better, we need to understand the car better, we need to bring some new parts for the next races and try to be as we started the year, we were not fighting with the top four teams, but we were a couple of tenths clear of the midfield and we were in that middle position and we want to be back by Abu Dhabi, by the last race.”
Williams and Alpine were a few kilos overweight at the start of the season so I think the gap to them at the start of the year was exaggerated. It doesn't mean Aston didn't move forward.

diffuser

diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 14:38
-wkst- wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 14:14
diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 00:23

That just sounds like the journalist is getting something wrong. Sounds like when my father inlaw asks me a question about computers, I explain it, then I hear him explaining it to someone else and it's all wrong ....It's illegal to copy parts, the way you need to copy them, to make the "COPIED" part work and McLaren isn't just gonna volunteer their car to be laser scanned. You copy ideas but that still means putting them in the wind tunnel to get them to work with your car.

The track team don't develop, they can say whatever they want but they can't make parts. The track teams opinion matters to as point. In the end the track team telling the factory how to do things is equivalent to me telling the God how the world should be.

It is my opinion that, for the most part, the PHDs are in the factory and all the guys not good enough to be in the factor are part of the race team.
Miquel had hardly anything wrong regarding AMR...
What he wants to express is that the team in the factory is most likely once again searching for the "perfect wind tunnel and CFD data" and how low the car should be driven in theory with which set up and the team at the track on the other side says "sorry, but in reality this reight height or this set up don't work". Schmidt from AMuS reported nearly identical stories from AMR engineers, who talked with him last year...
I'm just saying what it sounds like. Maybe he's just over dramatizing it. Literally, the race team have maybe a 5% - 10% input on car design decisions. Really, they have what the factory wants to give them. The factory don't have to listen to them at all. So when they say they are in 2 groups, we'll the factory does whatever it wants. The race team is just noise. No doubt, the lack of success is driving that decision and that's pretty normal too in this situation.
Just replying to myself here as a thought came to mind. What if we had a 3ird group..."the Journalists" and they had their own ideas of how the car should be developed...You think the factory would care? I think the race team is in a similar position. The factory have a wind tunnel and the race team a spreadsheet.

-wkst-
-wkst-

diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 14:38
-wkst- wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 14:14
diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 00:23

That just sounds like the journalist is getting something wrong. Sounds like when my father inlaw asks me a question about computers, I explain it, then I hear him explaining it to someone else and it's all wrong ....It's illegal to copy parts, the way you need to copy them, to make the "COPIED" part work and McLaren isn't just gonna volunteer their car to be laser scanned. You copy ideas but that still means putting them in the wind tunnel to get them to work with your car.

The track team don't develop, they can say whatever they want but they can't make parts. The track teams opinion matters to as point. In the end the track team telling the factory how to do things is equivalent to me telling the God how the world should be.

It is my opinion that, for the most part, the PHDs are in the factory and all the guys not good enough to be in the factor are part of the race team.
Miquel had hardly anything wrong regarding AMR...
What he wants to express is that the team in the factory is most likely once again searching for the "perfect wind tunnel and CFD data" and how low the car should be driven in theory with which set up and the team at the track on the other side says "sorry, but in reality this reight height or this set up don't work". Schmidt from AMuS reported nearly identical stories from AMR engineers, who talked with him last year...
I'm just saying what it sounds like. Maybe he's just over dramatasizing it. Literally, the race team have maybe a 5% - 10% input on car design decisions. Really, they have what the factory wants to give them. The factory don't have to listen to them at all. So when they say they are in 2 groups, we'll the factory does whatever it wants. The race team is just noise. No doudt, the lack of success is driving that decision and that's pretty normal too in this situation.
The race team is for sure not just "noise". At the end they are the one who set up the car in combination with the drivers. The group at the factor devevlops it. No wonder that Newey got a lot of praise for his work at the track, listening to the drivers, what the car is doing, etc.

AMR need a very clear leadership. Hopefully Cardile is the right organizer for that with Newey the super brain in the background.

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 19:58

The race team is for sure not just "noise". At the end they are the one who set up the car in combination with the drivers. The group at the factor devevlops it. No wonder that Newey got a lot of praise for his work at the track, listening to the drivers, what the car is doing, etc.

AMR need a very clear leadership. Hopefully Cardile is the right organizer for that with Newey the super brain in the background.
If what the reporter is saying is true, it is noise. It is not their place to tell the factory how to develop the car.

mvfad

Drugovich was due to take part in FP1 in place of Alonso at Monza, but the Spaniard requested to drive in FP1 due to the track changes. Conspiracy theorists claim that this also has to do with Alonso managing Bortoleto's career (who is competing for a seat at Sauber with Drugovich and others).

Big Gun
Big Gun

How good was it last year when Alonso was able to challenge for a podium on the regular. Could of won Monaco, then Finished close to Max in Montreal.
The start of a race weekend was exciting, thinking can Alonso somehow win a race after 10 years.
Now its depressing because at best they can get into Q3. At the start of the year Alonso showed it did have decent qualy pace, but they changed the set up cos the Aston chewed through tires
Think they should take off all the downforce, start on Hards dont pit and gamble on a safety car. with the lowest downforce possible they may be fast enough on the straights that even DRS cars cant catch them. Sadly even the perfect stratergy would only get them 9th or 10th

Ferro
Ferro

Big Gun wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 19:12
How good was it last year when Alonso was able to challenge for a podium on the regular. Could of won Monaco, then Finished close to Max in Montreal.
The start of a race weekend was exciting, thinking can Alonso somehow win a race after 10 years.
Now its depressing because at best they can get into Q3. At the start of the year Alonso showed it did have decent qualy pace, but they changed the set up cos the Aston chewed through tires
Think they should take off all the downforce, start on Hards dont pit and gamble on a safety car. with the lowest downforce possible they may be fast enough on the straights that even DRS cars cant catch them. Sadly even the perfect stratergy would only get them 9th or 10th
267 / 5.000
I don't know if you're joking, mate, but in my opinion that could lead to a real tragedy. If you have a nervous car coming out of the corners, especially in the parabolic curve, with the slipstream and the DRS they can easily pass you even if your top speed is good.

diffuser

Big Gun wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 19:12
I feel that.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Red Bull with downgrades, Mercedes with possible downgrades with the floor, Ferrari having had downgrades... there's no better timing for Aston if they could start developing well now that the top teams except McLaren have stumbled in some form. Sadly, everything with Aston Martin is even more difficult so it's hard to know whether they will take advantage of this :(

In other news, a new low downforce rear wing for Monza (edit: and a couple other circuit specific changes, nothing too big)

KimiRai
KimiRai

Aston (so far) in FP1 continues with the lower top speed trend post-Spa

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

AM will struggle to enter in Q2.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Rikrikrik wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 17:09
Yup..seems it will be worst quali till date.

wiktor977
wiktor977

How they can be so slow on low drag tracks when the main development target for 2024 car was to reduce drag and make DRS more effective? Looks like their floor is bad and they have to run much more drag than others just to be able to turn in the corners.

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 17:41
Rikrikrik wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 17:09
Yup..seems it will be worst quali till date.
Horse - Cart

NOT

Cart - Horse.

xReVo
xReVo

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 16:12
KimiRai wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 16:04
Alonso
“And we need to get better, we need to understand the car better, we need to bring some new parts for the next races and try to be as we started the year, we were not fighting with the top four teams, but we were a couple of tenths clear of the midfield and we were in that middle position and we want to be back by Abu Dhabi, by the last race.”
Williams and Alpine were a few kilos overweight at the start of the season so I think the gap to them at the start of the year was exaggerated. It doesn't mean Aston didn't move forward.
The amr24 from the beginning of the year is superior to this one, before you were fighting with Mercedes, now you dream about it at night