2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
venkyhere
venkyhere

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

It's staggering, how just 10mins and a crash by a rookie is triggering so many 'oh, he's no good, Toto's next blunder' or 'yes, he's the next Hamilton, Toto's helmut marko moment' type reactions. Truth is, we haven't seen enough. By a long shot. Why can't we simply 'wait' and not pass any comments about the new rookie ? To be totally agnostic to a team's driver academy F2 guy getting the mandatory FP run in F1 ?

I mean...
"how hard can it be?"

Jurgen von Diaz

Toto finally got his own young Verstappen.

Dunlay
Dunlay

CaribouBread wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 05:00
Dunlay wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 04:00
It's really ridiculous to criticize or write down a rookie for making a rookie mistake. Seems like people have forgotten what it's like to introduce new drivers to F1 and that should be allowed to make some mistakes. Comparing to previous rookies is naive. Next FP1, he should do better and I don't mind him crashing again. Neither Mercedes driver is currently in contention for WDC and neither is Mercedes a WCC contender. Safe situation to let him make mistakes. If he is their driver for next year, let him get some real opportunities to drive the current car and get a taste of it's behaviour.
I agree in principle with your point but the circumstances surrounding Kimi (hype as a prodigy, replacing 7x wc Lewis) does lend itself to heightened scrutiny. Not completely unwarranted imo.
Why scrutiny and why is that warranted? One driver is leaving and another is getting an opportunity. That's life. Old things go and new things come. Would you keep criticizing every new thing that replaces old? Whatever the situation of Lewis' exit is, what sense is there in villifying the new kid who has nothing to do in those decisions.

Lasssept

It's official! Andrea Kimi Antonelli will join Mercedes in #F1 next year to replace Ferrari-bound Lewis Hamilton.

Lasssept

Toto Wolff: “Our 2025 driver line-up combines experience, talent, youth and out-and-out raw speed. We are excited about what George and Kimi bring to the team both as individual drivers, but also as a partnership.”

“Kimi has consistently shown the talent and speed needed to compete at the very top of our sport. We know it will be another big step up, but he has impressed us in his F1 testing this year and we will be supporting him every step of the way in the learning process.“

SiLo

I think this is going to be pretty fun to watch next year!
Felipe Baby!

Waz
Waz

Dunlay wrote:
It's really ridiculous to criticize or write down a rookie for making a rookie mistake. Seems like people have forgotten what it's like to introduce new drivers to F1 and that should be allowed to make some mistakes. Comparing to previous rookies is naive. Next FP1, he should do better and I don't mind him crashing again. Neither Mercedes driver is currently in contention for WDC and neither is Mercedes a WCC contender. Safe situation to let him make mistakes. If he is their driver for next year, let him get some real opportunities to drive the current car and get a taste of it's behaviour.
Plenty of rookies or juniors come in without wrecking their car in 10 minutes, some in more difficult conditions or tracks..

MtthsMlw

Finally another Kimi on the grid

Dunlay
Dunlay

Waz wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 09:56
Dunlay wrote:
Plenty of rookies or juniors come in without wrecking their car in 10 minutes, some in more difficult conditions or tracks..
Would it have been acceptable if he would have crashed in the last 10 mins, instead of first 10? Or crashed after 3 or 4 FPs? Those who don't like him, for motivated reasons, can't see things beyond his crash. When he starts driving full time and then turns out to be a Kvyat, KMag, Grosjean or Maldonado, it's understandable that he doesn't belong. I saw an experienced ex F1 mechanic, putting out similarly childish post comparing him to Max's first win in F1 as a yard stick to deserve hype.

ME4ME

Great news to see Kimi Antonelli announched!
It's going to be great to see how he does next year.

Not only is he a huge talent, it's great to see a top team take a chance.
Especially Mercedes and Wolff who otherwise are calculated and boringly professional.
It's a breath of fresh air.

Dispite F2, I think Antonelli and Bearman are both hugely talented.
Now I just wish Red Bull finally commit to Lawson instead of wasting him.

It has vibes of when Russel, Norris and Albon joined the grid.

damo46
damo46

Congratulations to Kimi on getting the drive for next year. Seems like a few people have a negative opinion about it and they are entitled to it but we don't know how he will go. So many have come through looking talented and failed and some have looked average and done well. Obviously Mercedes have the resources and understanding to know better than us. We will find out next year.

Luscion
Luscion

Different front wings between Lewis and George

George

Lewis

Dunlay
Dunlay

George's P3 race sim on mediums looks unreal, if it's done on race fuel load l!!! If that pace is real, then Mercedes is the team to beat in this race.

PlatinumZealot

Dunlay wrote:
That's an extremist take to have and it lacks context. He is not really being downtrodden as you are suggesting. He is just being brought down from the stars back to earth. He did a good job. Probably a great rookie. But he is not "the one."
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 09:07
Toto finally got his own young Verstappen.

Congrats. The team badly needs and injection of youth. Time for change.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028