2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 09:47
FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 22:52
They always say Red Bull is turned down more. I should really go and look it up.

I don't think there is a big difference. McLaren definitely doesn't glory run Fridays.
But the last time that was suggested and everyone got upset, we dropped back in a big way against Merc and RB in qualifying.

In any case, I'd take it all with a pinch of salt. So much more than engine modes, like deployment, fuel, tyre life, setup and how much the driver is pushing, for instance.
Can you remind me which race was that. Spa?

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 11:01
mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 09:47
FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 22:52
They always say Red Bull is turned down more. I should really go and look it up.

I don't think there is a big difference. McLaren definitely doesn't glory run Fridays.
But the last time that was suggested and everyone got upset, we dropped back in a big way against Merc and RB in qualifying.

In any case, I'd take it all with a pinch of salt. So much more than engine modes, like deployment, fuel, tyre life, setup and how much the driver is pushing, for instance.
Can you remind me which race was that. Spa?
I actually don't remember, it was before the summer break and I've had a few sleeps since then, it'd need a look back. But I don't think it is the first time either.

I think that the point being is that there isn't a template really of who is doing what on a Friday and that it is only a Friday, I wouldn't worry too much about all the predictions or if something has an opinion that doesn't flatter Mclaren.

I don't know what will happen here. Ferrari have brought upgrades and will have made Monza a big target to do well, so the car may well be in contention for the first time since Monaco. Red Bull should always be considered a threat and a resurgent Mercedes is in much the same ball park.

The weekend will definitely shake down some winners and losers, of course, but there is a real chance that is going to be a helluva fight and no one can take anything for granted this weekend.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Well said. There are so many factors it is hard to read into.

I don't think anyone shared F1.com view of things, they put McLaren fastest in qualy but third in race pace (very small margin).

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Id66fYNKNz

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 10:48
LionsHeart wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 10:10
SilviuAgo wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 09:01
A lot of debate about packing order in Monza, but not to forget that this track is not a normal one, if you can say this. Is more like Monaco, an one off. Not even Spa is close to Monza. This is the Temple of Speed, where a car 90% of the time is full throttle and you only have to go (almost) straight. This is the reason that Williams since 2022 performed very well here. You do not need DF, mechanical grip, fancy stuff, just a rocket :))
Yesterday on F1TV Croft said that if McLaren beat RB here then they can beat them everywere. And this is due to the particular layout of Monza.

So let's wait for the race and enjoy whatever the team was able to put together for this weekend.
I don't agree at all. Williams had a top speed of 353 km/h, and Albon finished practice 0.8 seconds behind, and Lando only had 345, I think. Top speed alone is not enough here. It is precisely here that grip is needed more than anywhere, due to hard braking and certain corners. Vettel took pole in 2011 with the lowest top speed, and then won a day later.

I will also note that Lando was given a Spa spec rear wing for the second practice. And the front wing is in the usual uncut configuration. So far this only indicates that their package for Monza turned out to be excessive in terms of reducing downforce. If they don’t use it in Monza (which I’m not quite sure about yet), it can be retested in Baku and Las Vegas.

But since top speed at Monza is important to defend your position in the race, I hope the team will return to the package that Lando tried in the first practice.
I believe Oscar was running the low df config on FP2 and as far as one-lap pace goes, he was set to be around 0.2-0.3s faster than Lando had he not had the moment in Ascari.

You could argue the low df package makes the car tricky to drive and Oscar actually complained about graining on the long run, even if his pace was actually quite strong early on.

It’s up to them to find the right balance now and whether they can minimise wear with the low df package, because it certainly seems like the faster option.
If I remember correctly, in the second practice the package was the same for both cars. The Spa spec package. But there is no confirmation of my words. Everything needs to be carefully checked.

Edit: Okay, I checked. In the second practice, the package was indeed the same for Oscar and Lando. Spa spec. The front wing is normal, without cutting.

FP2:

FP1:

Note the rear wings and the beam wings. The Monza spec requires a beam wing with a larger area and angle of attack. The Spa spec allows the use of a beam wing with the smallest size and angle of attack. In the first practice Lando had a top speed of 348 km/h, in the second practice 345 km/h.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 31 Aug 2024, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

That’s a shame then. Resources dumped into a rear wing which cannot be used.

Let’s wait for FP3 but I’ll doubt they’ll return to it after ditching it for FP2.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 12:23

Let’s wait for FP3 but I’ll doubt they’ll return to it after ditching it for FP2.
I have updated the post and attached photos.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 12:23

The FIA documents show no new rear wing. Perhaps we're missing something? Certainly it would suggest none of these parts were introduced here. Perhaps it is only a new configuration.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Looks mighty close. I would say though that the mclaren looks much calmer than the merc and ferrari. Hard to know exactly why.

mclaren111

Only soft tyres this session... Saving Mediums for race ?

Emag
Emag

FP3 is only fueling my suspicions so far. Not looking good.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Time will tell, too many variables especially at a track like monza.

Either way it's fine margins

CjC
CjC

It’s tight and they looking on the wrong side of it
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

Mcl_G10 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 13:20

I actually think one of the Ferraris will have pole comfortably.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 13:22
Mcl_G10 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 13:20

I actually think one of the Ferraris will have pole comfortably.
Maybe so. I'm not arguing that mclaren are necessarily fastest but cone qualifying things can and will change.
If anything at monza I'd personally prefer p2 or p3 start over p1

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

They changed something on the car between the 2nd to last and the final run on that set of softs. I think it helped. Looked better. Just a mistake at the 2nd chicane that slowed the final run. Purple final sector.