2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Overall, the Spa spec looks good. And in Spa itself, it looked good on the straights. True, towards the end of the session, it was shown that Lando has the lowest speed on the straights - 343 km/h, as well as Red Bull Max (the lack of slipstream is having an effect). And this has not stopped them from setting fast times yet. Let's see how qualifying goes. In any case, I do not count on pole and victory in the race for McLaren. It is simply necessary to minimize losses.

And if we believe the graphics on the broadcast, McLaren is more or less on par with Ferrari on straights. Mercedes, on the other hand, seems to be making up ground on braking and entering corners.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 31 Aug 2024, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

geogate
geogate

we could do without two ferrari ahead scoring big points, but we are remember we want to finish ahead of red bull - unless of course there are deluded people that still think WDC is realistically still on

Emag
Emag

geogate wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 13:44
we could do without two ferrari ahead scoring big points, but we are remember we want to finish ahead of red bull - unless of course there are deluded people that still think WDC is realistically still on
FYI, Ferrari is simply 30 points behind McLaren. Pretty much the same margin RedBull has to McLaren, yet somehow people think Ferrari has been left in limbo.

If they are fastest here, and their new floor actually proves useful elsewhere as well, then they become the new favorites for the WCC.

geogate
geogate

FYI? that was kinda the point i was making

Venturiation
Venturiation

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 13:48
geogate wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 13:44
FYI, Ferrari is simply 30 points behind McLaren. Pretty much the same margin RedBull has to McLaren, yet somehow people think Ferrari has been left in limbo.

If they are fastest here, and their new floor actually proves useful elsewhere as well, then they become the new favorites for the WCC.
And WDC

billamend
billamend

Did i miss something, or both the front and rear wing were not the upgraded ones?

Emag
Emag

geogate wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 13:57
Perhaps I missunderstood then. You mentioned that the target is beating RedBull, but that doesn't matter if Ferrari overtakes both and you still finish P2.

Emag
Emag

billamend wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:00
Did i miss something, or both the front and rear wing were not the upgraded ones?
They weren't upgrades per se, just parts designed to run at Monza. Evidently they proved ineffective so they used a higher-load configuration that was already tested at Spa.

Darth-Piekus

What we do here remains to be seen. I don't see why we can't take pole and victory. We aren't very far and our car is superior in terms of tyre preservation.

Also Ferrari still has a lot to do to catch up and nothing indicates that the following upgrades won't increase the distance. After all Ferrari can only win in specific conditions while our car is good in every single situation.

_cerber1

geogate
geogate

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:01
geogate wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 13:57
Perhaps I missunderstood then. You mentioned that the target is beating RedBull, but that doesn't matter if Ferrari overtakes both and you still finish P2.
I probably wrote it sloppy, but yes ferrari big points over us brings them right back in, but right now i do still see RB as the team we need to beat - Monza is Monza

Emag
Emag

I mean, it's still just free practice, and it's not like they're looking horrible so if they somehow end up with pole later today, then all this "speculation" on my part would look stupid. Nevertheless, I want to clarify, I am not saying they are definitely going to fumble here. I am just saying that from what I can see and estimate from the FP data we have,

Ferrari seems to have taken a step and they look quite fast. Even more proof of that is the fact that they were fastest at FP3 with quite old tires. Now grant it, the fuel-burn offsets some of the tire-wear disadvantage, but still, quite impressive showing by them.

Mercedes is also looking quite competitive and even if RedBull doesn't qualify well, it seemed like Max had really good long-run pace.

Whereas McLaren has been hard to read because none of the drivers have managed to pull their best sectors together on their fastest lap. So you see the table shared in the thread here, there is inherent pace in the car, but only when liking up the best sectors of both drivers hinting towards either a difficult to drive car (being on knife's edge), or just drivers going opposite directions with setup.

CjC
CjC

Wow, 0.135 and 0.145 down on an FP3 time at a track where you don’t need any downforce and we now have ourselves a new favourite for the WCC and WDC titles #-o

Mclaren still have upgrades to come as well
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:20
Wow, 0.135 and 0.145 down on an FP3 time at a track where you don’t need any downforce and we now have ourselves a new favourite for the WCC and WDC titles #-o

Mclaren still have upgrades to come as well
You're taking things out of context. There was an "if" associated with that statement ...

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

I think it's a slight concern if the rw and fw they bought here aren't on the car as it would suggest they did not pay the intended dividends. I'm not sure spa spec downforce is quite enough for monza although we should in which case be faster through the higher speed corners. This coupled with mclarens fantastic slow speed cornering should bode well overall.

We will find out soon enough