2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:01
billamend wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:00
Did i miss something, or both the front and rear wing were not the upgraded ones?
They weren't upgrades per se, just parts designed to run at Monza. Evidently they proved ineffective so they used a higher-load configuration that was already tested at Spa.
But where were they introduced if they aren't new parts this weekend? Feel like there's a bit of this picture missing and we are getting ahead of ourselves with this rear wing.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:36
Emag wrote:
billamend wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:00
Did i miss something, or both the front and rear wing were not the upgraded ones?
They weren't upgrades per se, just parts designed to run at Monza. Evidently they proved ineffective so they used a higher-load configuration that was already tested at Spa.
But where were they introduced if they aren't new parts this weekend? Feel like there's a bit of this picture missing and we are getting ahead of ourselves with this rear wing.
Teams are known to have missed listings in the upgrade sheet before. It isn't such a big deal.

They haven't been tested anywhere because there's no other tracks you would use a rear wing like that and the same goes for that cutout front wing. In either case, we would have had pictures the moment they were seen anyway, if they had been run before.

Emag
Emag

Mcl_G10 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:32
I think it's a slight concern if the rw and fw they bought here aren't on the car as it would suggest they did not pay the intended dividends. I'm not sure spa spec downforce is quite enough for monza although we should in which case be faster through the higher speed corners. This coupled with mclarens fantastic slow speed cornering should bode well overall.

We will find out soon enough
I think they got caught off-guard by the track changes. Some corners got faster because of the more forgiving kerbs and there is now more "track" available on both entries and exits. That means a little bit more downforce now actually helps out more than before in terms of laptime.

Couple that with a green track which increases tire wear, they probably saw the extra-low df package wasn't the way to go.

mwillems

Mcl_G10 wrote:
I think it's a slight concern if the rw and fw they bought here aren't on the car as it would suggest they did not pay the intended dividends. I'm not sure spa spec downforce is quite enough for monza although we should in which case be faster through the higher speed corners. This coupled with mclarens fantastic slow speed cornering should bode well overall.

Feels like Ferrari may well be faster or they are pushing more. To me, this gap in speed on the straights coupled with the manner in which we are dropping speed at the end of the straight prior to the braking zone makes me suspicious.

I really think this is tight. I didn't watch FP3, did someone say Ferraris fastest lap was on used softs vs our new softs?

Last edited by mwillems on 31 Aug 2024, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:24
CjC wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:20
Wow, 0.135 and 0.145 down on an FP3 time at a track where you don’t need any downforce and we now have ourselves a new favourite for the WCC and WDC titles #-o

Mclaren still have upgrades to come as well
You're taking things out of context. There was an "if" associated with that statement ...
I know and I’ve since read your previous statement too.
I agree, Mclaren don’t look favourites here for even a podium but this is unique Monza. Ferrari looked good here last season too so I’m not re-writing a pecking order tomorrow based on the result in Monza.
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:41
mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:36
Emag wrote:

Teams are known to have missed listings in the upgrade sheet before. It isn't such a big deal.

They haven't been tested anywhere because there's no other tracks you would use a rear wing like that and the same goes for that cutout front wing. In either case, we would have had pictures the moment they were seen anyway, if they had been run before.
I checked TeamStream, it has indeed been introduced here. They usually make specific reference to the wings and they did in FP1.

It looked new to me. But I also know what we can all be like when we see upgrades, real or perceived!

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:45
Mcl_G10 wrote:

Feels like Ferrari may well be faster or they are pushing more. To me, this gap in speed on the straights coupled with the manner in which we are dropping speed at the end of the straight prior to the braking zone makes me suspicious.

I really think this is tight. I didn't watch FP3, did someone say Ferraris fastest lap was on used softs vs our new softs?

https://i.postimg.cc/RVmSj0gJ/Mclv-Fer-MONZA.png
Looking at the telemetry, it is clear that McLaren are strong in the second sector. It is even surprising here how Oscar was keeping up with Leclerc. Maybe Lando loaded the tires more, which is why he overheated in the third sector. Or he simply made some minor mistakes.

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
Mcl_G10 wrote:

Yes Ferrari was on used softs. The clipping towards the end of the straights is weird, but it was happening at qualifying last year too, so I think it's a mapping thing. Albeit, it's quite a bit more pronounced here at free-practice.

Lando lost quite a bit of laptime at the parabolica though. He tries to brake later, but Leclerc carries a lot more speed through and also has a better exit. He will most certainly look into that, and if there are no balance limitations, he will change his line for quali.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:52
mwillems wrote:
Mcl_G10 wrote:

Looking at the telemetry, it is clear that McLaren are strong in the second sector. It is even surprising here how Oscar was keeping up with Leclerc. Maybe Lando loaded the tires more, which is why he overheated in the third sector. Or he simply made some minor mistakes.
This is why I want to understand the tyres. if they were all on new then I think Mclaren have this, in my biased opinion. Because I feel like we may be hiding pace. But the car looked so dominant in places that this makes me as suspicious as the top speeds.

-Bandit

mwillems

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:54
mwillems wrote:
Mcl_G10 wrote:

Yes Ferrari was on used softs. The clipping towards the end of the straights is weird, but it was happening at qualifying last year too, so I think it's a mapping thing. Albeit, it's quite a bit more pronounced here at free-practice.

Lando lost quite a bit of laptime at the parabolica though. He tries to brake later, but Leclerc carries a lot more speed through and also has a better exit. He will most certainly look into that, and if there are no balance limitations, he will change his line for quali.
Yeah it happened in places but largely stopped this year. Had some quite heavy back and forth in PMs about it. But the clipping at almost every straight feels like they may not be fully deploying or the engine is not running as hard and the battery is being leaned on more.

I suspected it was used tyres vs new, and that Ferrari may well be pushing more. If this is correct, then I can't call this at all, I won't even bother trying to guess.

Edit: I'm going to sigh and tentatively say Ferrari have a big shot of being ahead of us. But close.
Last edited by mwillems on 31 Aug 2024, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

Back briefly to the rear wing. In Teamstream, Mclaren had predicted before the start of FP1 that the ultra low downforce wing would not be optimum here.

Andrew Jarvis
August 30th, 2024 12:23

Obviously, Monza is famous for its long straights, which makes it a low drag circuit, so understanding our rear wing choices is going to be important too. We’ve got two versions with us: there is the low-downforce rear wing that was introduced for Spa, and an ultra-low downforce version being introduced here that may also be useful in Baku and Las Vegas.

We’re going to split the cars for FP1 to run both versions and assess the difference between the two. Our simulations suggest the Spa wing might be a bit better, but that can change very quickly – for example, if the new tarmac has a bit more grip than we expect. Oscar is also going to be running a front wheel wake rake at the very start of FP1. With Zandvoort being very wet, there’s also some tests that we didn’t complete there that we’re going to do here.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

It being very high deg is probably reason they are opting for a higher downforce wing.

Ferrari was on used set but from what I could see cars could improve on second/third runs on softs. It is probably still rubbering in.

I think Piastri improved on his used run as well.

mwillems

Ferrari are typically dropping back in the races. But Ferrari design their cars to do well at Monza and have done this for a long time.

Edit: This is not fair, sometimes finished ahead of Qual and sometimes behind, on average getting the place they start at if you balance it out
Last edited by mwillems on 31 Aug 2024, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:10
Ferrari are typically dropping back in the races. But Ferrari design their cars to do well at Monza and have done this for a long time.
Ferrari is driving better in the race this year than in qualifying.

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:13
mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:10
Ferrari is driving better in the race this year than in qualifying.
Recently? I was looking at their starting positions vs finish over the 6 races before summer break and they'd been dropping decent qualifying positions.

-Bandit