2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lucky
Lucky

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 14:59
Back briefly to the rear wing. In Teamstream, Mclaren had predicted before the start of FP1 that the ultra low downforce wing would not be optimum here.

Andrew Jarvis
August 30th, 2024 12:23

Obviously, Monza is famous for its long straights, which makes it a low drag circuit, so understanding our rear wing choices is going to be important too. We’ve got two versions with us: there is the low-downforce rear wing that was introduced for Spa, and an ultra-low downforce version being introduced here that may also be useful in Baku and Las Vegas.

We’re going to split the cars for FP1 to run both versions and assess the difference between the two. Our simulations suggest the Spa wing might be a bit better, but that can change very quickly – for example, if the new tarmac has a bit more grip than we expect. Oscar is also going to be running a front wheel wake rake at the very start of FP1. With Zandvoort being very wet, there’s also some tests that we didn’t complete there that we’re going to do here.
the asphalt is very hot, the hold is getting worse, so the new wing does not work.

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:14
Lucky wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:13
mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:10
Ferrari are typically dropping back in the races. But Ferrari design their cars to do well at Monza and have done this for a long time.
Ferrari is driving better in the race this year than in qualifying.
Recently? I was looking at their starting positions vs finish over the 6 races before summer break and they'd been dropping decent qualifying positions.
This year they have problems in qualifying. They can't warm up the tires.

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:17
mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:14
Lucky wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:13

Ferrari is driving better in the race this year than in qualifying.
Recently? I was looking at their starting positions vs finish over the 6 races before summer break and they'd been dropping decent qualifying positions.
This year they have problems in qualifying. They can't warm up the tires.
I take it back, I think they got ahead of their Qualy positions twice.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:15
mwillems wrote:
Back briefly to the rear wing. In Teamstream, Mclaren had predicted before the start of FP1 that the ultra low downforce wing would not be optimum here.

Andrew Jarvis

Obviously, Monza is famous for its long straights, which makes it a low drag circuit, so understanding our rear wing choices is going to be important too. We’ve got two versions with us: there is the low-downforce rear wing that was introduced for Spa, and an ultra-low downforce version being introduced here that may also be useful in Baku and Las Vegas.

We’re going to split the cars for FP1 to run both versions and assess the difference between the two. Our simulations suggest the Spa wing might be a bit better, but that can change very quickly – for example, if the new tarmac has a bit more grip than we expect. Oscar is also going to be running a front wheel wake rake at the very start of FP1. With Zandvoort being very wet, there’s also some tests that we didn’t complete there that we’re going to do here.
the asphalt is very hot, the hold is getting worse, so the new wing does not work.
Yes, the team mentioned the tarmac.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:

Andrew Jarvis

Well, that's pretty much what I was saying earlier. True, I had a cherished hope that there would be enough grip to use a wing with ultra-low downforce. Oh well. Let them choose the option that is optimal from all points of view.

mwillems

Not doubting it. Just showing the team prediction and the reasoning.

It'll be interesting to see if this works at Baku. I have my doubts.

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

From TeanStream

"There's at least seven drivers looking at FP3 and fancying their chances of pole position later on this afternoon. Very exciting times at Monza."

I'm assuming they've left out Checo, ouch!! I digress, I was just trying to make the point that the margins are too close to declare anyone favourite, or out of it. All top 4 teams have a decent chance of pole today.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:35

Baku will definitely not have this wing, they will leave it for Monza next year.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

It's exciting despite perhaps not being favourites. Just imagine a norris p1 with verstappen p7! Unlikely yes, but possible

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:39
From TeanStream

"There's at least seven drivers looking at FP3 and fancying their chances of pole position later on this afternoon. Very exciting times at Monza."

I'm assuming they've left out Checo, ouch!! I digress, I was just trying to make the point that the margins are too close to declare anyone favourite, or out of it. All top 4 teams have a decent chance of pole today.
This is my feeling. Can't say I have any confidence that we will be on top, or any confidence that we won't. I hope this is a fantastic 4 team battle and we can edge it.

-Bandit

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:41
mwillems wrote:

Baku will definitely not have this wing, they will leave it for Monza next year.
Indeed, it would be highly surprising. And yet they mention it.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:43
Lucky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

They could have an upgrade plan which could produce more DF by the time we get to Baku allowing them to potentially use a smaller wing?
But I’m just speculating
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:50
mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:43
Lucky wrote:

They could have an upgrade plan which could produce more DF by the time we get to Baku allowing them to potentially use a smaller wing?
But I’m just speculating
I don't think so, Baku isn't like Monza and needs reasonable downforce despite the huge straights as it is also a tight street circuit.

Can't ignore the fact the team mentioned it, I'd be curious to understand that more, we'll just have to wait but I have my doubts it will run.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Qualifying started. Let's give it our best. Go Mclaren.

Oscar should do one more lap. Hopefully he didn't fry the tyres. Very good time from Norris without TOW. Looks like Mclaren might have been hiding something after all or probably a set up tweak. Still it will be much closer than Zandvoort.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Good start by lando. As suspected they had a little more.

Readying the cilla black surprise, surprise gif