2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sergej
Sergej

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

at this point seriously they should go for a new PU, it's the worst possible quali result in a track where you can overtake (ok not super easy but still)

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sergej wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:12
at this point seriously they should go for a new PU, it's the worst possible quali result in a track where you can overtake (ok not super easy but still)
Why do they need another PU?

Venturiation
Venturiation

The moment fia clarify the rules redbull pace disappear

Paa

Sergej wrote:
Yes, they should take an engine if they need it. Max has quicker cars in front of him, so it will be difficult to improve even just 1-2 places during the race. So he is due to score like 10 (+/-2) points. (without engine penalty)

Even if he starts from the box tomorrow, he should be able to climb up to around 6-8th place at least. So 6 (+/-2) points.

This means that the effective expected cost of the engine penalty is like 4 points.
Last edited by Paa on 31 Aug 2024, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

Sergej
Sergej

AR3-GP wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:13
Sergej wrote:
could they get to the end with the freshest PU being the one of Spa ? 10 races without mounting a new PU ? I'll believe it when I see it

JordanMugen

Is it possible that Red Bull are struggling without Newey's input into development direction at the factory and car setup at the track, or is it unrelated to that? :?: :)

Or does Red Bull Racing already have a good plan to improve the car balance and revert ineffective upgrades in place of effective ones? :)

Personally I think the choice to develop an "old" RB19 engine cover package (and internals) just for high downforce races seemed kind of strange (almost like a sign of a team which is lost?). That Hungary/Zandvoort/Singapore package doesn't seem like an efficient use of resources (please correct me if I'm mistaken)? :?:
Last edited by JordanMugen on 31 Aug 2024, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sergej wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:17
AR3-GP wrote:
Sergej wrote:
could they get to the end with the freshest PU being the one of Spa ? 10 races without mounting a new PU ? I'll believe it when I see it
The regular season would have required 4 PUs. They lost 1 PU. They replaced it in Spa.

Isn't this just regular season mileage? Why do they need 5 in the pool?
Last edited by AR3-GP on 31 Aug 2024, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

FNTC
FNTC

JordanMugen wrote:
Is it possible that Red Bull are struggling without Newey's input into development direction at the factory and car setup at the track, or is it unrelated to that? :?: :)

Or does Red Bull Racing already have a good plan to improve the car balance and revert ineffective upgrades in place of effective ones? :)

Personally I think the choice to develop an "old" RB19 engine cover package (and internals) just for high downforce races seemed kind of strange (almost like a sign of a team which is lost?). That Hungary/Zandvoort/Singapore package doesn't seem like an efficient use of resources (please correct me if I'm mistaken)? :?:
Bingo. Ever since Newey stopped working on the car, the performance has gone off a cliff...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:

The team starts to look exactly like Aston Martin in terms of development. Odd setups. Odd car configurations. Mixing and matching old specs. Nothing working.

Paa

AR3-GP wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:18

The regular season would have required 4 PUs. They lost 1 PU. They have 4 in the pool after Spa.
Why does the season require a 5th PU?
Even if they can finish the season with the ones they have, it could be more comfortable to have 1 spare if they can get it with low relative costs. It it not just the ICE, they could have a spare for the electrical stuff as well etc.
They might be able to run them a bit higher or just have a spare in case an other unexpected failure. (could be due to a crash as well, not just reliability).

It is just a standard cost-benefit calculation. Giving up ~4 points might be worth for a new engine even if they don't strictly need it.

Sergej
Sergej

AR3-GP wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:18
Sergej wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

The regular season would have required 4 PUs. They lost 1 PU. They replaced it in Spa.

Isn't this just regular season mileage? Why do they need 5 in the pool?
they needed 2 PU to do 8 races until Canada, I know PU rotation and bla bla bla but I really cannot see how they can do 9 more races with the PUs they have (basically one from Spa and one from Montreal); many power limited tracks are left, Monza, Baku, Austin, Mexico, Vegas, Brazil....I will eat my hat if they don't fit a new PU somewhere

anyway it depends on what they think they can achieve tomorrow, is it realistic to think they can overtake Mercedes/Ferrari in the race ? if not (and I think it's not) then fit a new PU, point loss will be just a little higher (maybe) but you have a new fresh PU which will be helpful.
Last edited by Sergej on 31 Aug 2024, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

JordanMugen

AR3-GP wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:22
The team starts to look exactly like Aston Martin in terms of development. Odd setups. Odd car configurations. Mixing and matching old specs. Nothing working.
Christian Horner:
We did a 1:19.7 on scrubbed tyres and a 1:20.0 on new. The balance isn't there. Something fundamentally is happening that we don't understand. There is something missing, the others can all improve on new tyres. We tested a variety of specs and we had the same issues with handling characteristics. There is something that clearly isn't working on the car and we are trying to unravel that. Firstly we have to understand the problem, then we can address it.
:shock:

Unless I'm mistaken, having an experienced Chief Technical Officer who is across almost all aspects of race car design and setup would certainly help with that? :?:

Max Verstappen:
It's very difficult to drive and find a balance. If you fix one issue then it shifts to another issue. In Q3 everything felt really bad again. I had a lot of understeer that I cannot explain. Struggling a lot with that for whatever reason which I don't understand at the moment. The problem is that our car is not balanced. We have to turn it around and become more competitive.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 31 Aug 2024, 17:33, edited 2 times in total.

FNTC
FNTC

"The problem is, our car is just not balanced" -Max to Sky
Said he had massive understeer in Q3.

JordanMugen

FNTC wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:32
"The problem is, our car is just not balanced" -Max to Sky
Said he had massive understeer in Q3.
Is that the problem or just the symptom of the actual problem(s)?

Suspension? Aero balance or aero map issues?

It sounds like a lot of it is to do with tyres. Tyres are the most important part of the car after all. Are Red Bull really struggling with something as basic as having the right tyre temperature? :?:

organic

Ah well p7 is not so bad at Monza with a long run to T1. Can get some places at the start and be in the thick of it by the first pitstop