2024 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Aug 30 - Sep 1

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Re: 2024 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Aug 30 - Sep 1

Hammerfist wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:20
taperoo2k wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:07

I mean in terms of downforce vs drag.
It looks more fundamental with the car, than a downforce vs drag balance/sacrifice for a particular track.
That RB20 looks positively ordinary to how it was at the start of the season. It seems like they take a step forward then take 2 steps backwards. Missing Newey's ability to problem solve on the fly I guess.
Why is it so hard to revert back to an earlier configuration that worked, such as China for example? Or did they really take away an illegal toy out of the pram? I vote for the second question.
I think it was posted in the RB thread here that Max actually complained about the balance of this car already when they were dominating, and that it wasn’t taken seriously. They just didn’t have to push back then as the others were too slow. Now they have to overpush all of a sudden, and all flaws are magnified. Serious situation right now, but we also know any team can turn things around now.

dialtone
dialtone

Tvetovnato wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:53
I think it was posted in the RB thread here that Max actually complained about the balance if this car already when they were dominating, and that it wasn’t taken seriously. They just didn’t have to push back then as the others were too slow. Now they have to overpush all of a sudden, and all flaws are magnified. Serious situation right now, but we also know any team can turn things around now.
Every car is under steery in this regulations, Max has never been the only one complaining that he had an under steery car, so pointing that out as if it's they are the odd ones out isn't realistic. Both Ferraris came out of the car saying the car is under steery today and they are still 0.5s ahead of Max. And last year complaining about understeer but winning by 30s each race really shows it's more about Max asking perfection than the real culprit of the car's performance, something else is wrong with the car, not the under steer.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

I distinctly remember the start of the season where even after a race or two of domination there was talk of redbull bringing an upgrade that would be seen as 'completely different direction' and visibly different in appearance.

Whatever that was killed the car and despite continuing wining it was the beginning of the end for redbull. Was it Japan that this happened?

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Haha Perez going off ruined Max's lap. Now not only is the decision to keep Perez nerfing the constructors , this failed tow attempt is going to take a serious hit to Max's drivers title challenge.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

DGP123 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:05
Hamilton & Verstappen coming through tomorrow 🍿

Russell will go backwards. Imagine the Macca’s get the 1-2
Russell takes another head to head qualifying. In a car that was crashed and fixed overnight. Russell is ahead of Hamilton in head to head race pace 👍

djones
djones

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:28
DGP123 wrote:

Russell takes another head to head qualifying. In a car that was crashed and fixed overnight. Russell is ahead of Hamilton in head to head race pace 👍
Yet he losing in the championship like last year and only has 2 wins in all of his races 😅

…..versus 105

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Hammerfist wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:20
taperoo2k wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:07

I mean in terms of downforce vs drag.
It looks more fundamental with the car, than a downforce vs drag balance/sacrifice for a particular track.
That RB20 looks positively ordinary to how it was at the start of the season. It seems like they take a step forward then take 2 steps backwards. Missing Newey's ability to problem solve on the fly I guess.
Why is it so hard to revert back to an earlier configuration that worked, such as China for example?
Cost cap - if you spend x amount of money on new upgrades that don't work? Then it can be quite hard to go back. Especially if you've made changes to the layout of the cooling systems for example.
Or did they really take away an illegal toy out of the pram? I vote for the second question.
The FIA might have told RB to remove something. But it's not something Horner is going to admit. I think it's more likely RedBull simply got the development of the RB20 wrong. It's part and parcel of F1.

Waz
Waz

It is looking really odd that a team who normally just bolt on upgrades that work out the box, are struggling with failed upgrades. This would be quite probably the first time ever.

It's looking more and more like a quietly handled grey area, much like the AMR23 front wing.

ispano6

Waz wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 22:38
It is looking really odd that a team who normally just bolt on upgrades that work out the box, are struggling with failed upgrades. This would be quite probably the first time ever.

It's looking more and more like a quietly handled grey area, much like the AMR23 front wing.
Red Bull no longer has Newey, and McLaren have Rob Marshall.

Matt2725
Matt2725

djones wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:38
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

Yet he losing in the championship like last year and only has 2 wins in all of his races 😅

…..versus 105
What is context.....
One was in a Williams for 3 years, the other had far and away the fastest car on the grid, 8 years in a row. He should have that many wins with having that kind of machinery for so long. It would be bad if he didn't.
This season, scratch the DNF and DSQ (neither which were his fault) and RUS is still ahead in the WDC. Where both cars finish, he's ahead in race head to heads.
Also at least in FP, Russell's race pace looked better than his teammates. So maybe Hamilton will go backwards instead?

Dunlay
Dunlay

I think Lando would have another miserable start today. Unless McLaren prioritises Lando and asks Oscar to play nice, there is no way Lando can keep pole after Turn 1. If they play team game and box George, then this would be major points slash on Max for Lando. If McLaren continues their childish behaviour of driver parity, they would be crying in Abu Dhabi.

xaero
xaero

Matt2725 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 01:05
djones wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:38
TeamKoolGreen wrote:

…..versus 105
What is context.....
One was in a Williams for 3 years, the other had far and away the fastest car on the grid, 8 years in a row. He should have that many wins with having that kind of machinery for so long. It would be bad if he didn't.
This season, scratch the DNF and DSQ (neither which were his fault) and RUS is still ahead in the WDC. Where both cars finish, he's ahead in race head to heads.
Also at least in FP, Russell's race pace looked better than his teammates. So maybe Hamilton will go backwards instead?
Ifs buts .. blah blah
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

search

Official tire update + race strategy suggestions:

chrisc90

If I was Red Bull - aggressive 2 stopper I think would be my option.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 10:22
If I was Red Bull - aggressive 2 stopper I think would be my option.
With a barn door rear wing from P7?

I think opposite makes more sense, going long and use the DRS train.