2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mosin123
Mosin123

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:23
Yeah Hamilton fans better prepare for the worst imo. Age and not utilising his driving style with these cheese tyres are costing him bigtime. Fair play to Russell, He had limited running and still put ham in his place. Leclerc will steam role him next year. The regs are still the same and possibly the tyres. Tough times for Hamilton.
The tyres are changing next year to try to reduce overheating and degradation https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-an ... /10543647/.

Also, FIA have comfirmed they are looking to change things to improve following for next year after drivers complained.. https://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-2025- ... s-tombazis

Macklaren
Macklaren

Luscion wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:50
AR3-GP wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:35
Luscion wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:30
i expect Lewis to make his way up to p4 fairly quickly tomorrow, Charles was on radio complaining about the car being difficult in the slow speed, race engineer said he was losing 2 tenths alone in turns 1 and 2. unsure if Max will be a threat tomorrow as it seems he has a car thats not very good this weekend.
Ferrari is always better in the race. I'm a bit dissapointed with Lewis today. He was fast all weekend up until that session. He still has incredible race pace, but he gives himself too much work to do in the races. If he could start on pole, he would win in this car. Norris is not a better driver than him on Sunday.
Yea its been a thing at a few races now where he's topping the times all weekend and then cant really deliver on the last runs in Q3. He's pretty disappointed in himself as well

That Kimi reference/jibe at the end was unnecessary. Surely, is not been on his mind/ bothering him this weekend?!

SKYnRacing24

Mosin123 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:38
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:23
Yeah Hamilton fans better prepare for the worst imo. Age and not utilising his driving style with these cheese tyres are costing him bigtime. Fair play to Russell, He had limited running and still put ham in his place. Leclerc will steam role him next year. The regs are still the same and possibly the tyres. Tough times for Hamilton.
The tyres are changing next year to try to reduce overheating and degradation https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-an ... /10543647/.

Also, FIA have comfirmed they are looking to change things to improve following for next year after drivers complained.. https://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-2025- ... s-tombazis
Oh wow thats interesting, thanks for the links. Hopefully when Hamilton resets for next year he can utilise them properly. All wishful thinking though when he has to get used to the characteristics of a Ferrari car. For now he's out of answers, yes the gaps have hardly anything in it but he can't drive the way he can that made him a qualy demon not only in his dominant days but the Mclaren days aswell. Theres been numerous articles on his driving style and how it hinders his one lap performance, he can't attack corners because of overheating thus driving a unconventional way. His race pace is mega still but unfortunately most of the damage has been done in qualy this year.

Russell has maximised that merc in qualy trim everytime,he can dig deep for extra laptime and does it so effortlessly , his race pace is still hit and miss but generally he's not that far off. He will deal with Antonelli easily next year.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

PlatinumZealot

I am not enjoying this old, covid-riddled, Abu-dhabi'd, version of Lewis. Ever since he got Covid his one lap pace has lost out a bit and the abu-dhabi saga has put bigger dent in him.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:59
I am not enjoying this old, covid-riddled, Abu-dhabi'd, version of Lewis. Ever since he got Covid his one lap pace has lost out a bit and the abu-dhabi saga has put bigger dent in him.
You think maybe he is looking to the future and considering hid decisions?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Dunlay
Dunlay

PlatinumZealot wrote:
:lol: Age has nothing to do with it and neither is a fast young team mate.

Future is going to be far bleaker against, arguably fastest qualifier on the grid

Matt2725
Matt2725

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Or maybe George is an extremely good qualifier? Perhaps the best on the grid at the moment.

Luscion
Luscion

Dunlay wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Future is going to be far bleaker against, arguably fastest qualifier on the grid
Possible hot take but i think Lewis will actually do better at Ferrari next year. Every Merc of this generation has had rear instability problems and they just havent suited Lewis' driving style, something both Shovlin and Allison pointed out, combine that with the sensitive tires. While the w15 is better than the other two it still has rear tire overheating issues, . Pirelli are also making changes for next year

Mosin123
Mosin123

Dunlay wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

GR is the fastest guy on Saturdays, Its why he is Mr Saturday.

he will be going up against some one slower than GR when he lines up against CL...

PlatinumZealot

Dunlay wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

There is a reason you don't see athletes entering sports near their forties.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Matt2725 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Or maybe George is an extremely good qualifier? Perhaps the best on the grid at the moment.
He is good. Very good. Perhaps the best on the grid yes that is true. But it is unrelated to Lewis' natural (age) and unnatural decline (Covid + Abu Dhabi blues).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Mosin123
Mosin123

PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:33
Matt2725 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:
He is good. Very good. Perhaps the best on the grid yes that is true. But it is unrelated to Lewis' natural (age) and unnatural decline (Covid + Abu Dhabi blues).
i think its more AD blues personally, i think he feels Mercades let him down by not challanging the result, because in the end, all that happened was the FIA admitted a mistake happened and LH still lost out on a title and Mercades waved away any right to protest just to get the FIA to admit what every body aready knew...... Thats some hurt
Last edited by Mosin123 on 31 Aug 2024, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Dunlay wrote:
I think this is a bit of denial. Age has absolutely massacred Hamilton's 1 lap pace but that's life.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

So what is the general consensus on kimi being in the merc next year?

The kid IS lighning fast and I understand you can't teach that at this level they either 'have it' or they don't
Having said that f1 is so so much more than that. When these cars bite they bite pretty damn hard and quite often drivers (even max) have to scale back on simply driving as fast as they can due to the car, tyres, conditions etc. I think kimi has a humongous amount to learn and that next season for sure will almost be a write-off in terms of him having any real contribution to Mercedes which is a shame as they could have a great car. I can see alot of incidents, crashes, tyres running out and falling off a cliff.

Don't get me wrong he's got speed and he will impress but it's far far from certain he will survive.

bluechris

Give Lewis a car that can win and you will see him stand out. All the previous years with all the troubles that MB had reduced his confidence but his is there in Sundays.
He is not 20 years old to do that extra that is needed to just finish one place higher, this place must be for the pontium... He is a multi WCD winner and we like it or not, it's like this in his head.