2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SilviuAgo

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Scuderia Ferrari Monegasque driver Charles Leclerc and McLaren’s Oscar Piastri were at risk of penalties for incidents that occurred during Free Practice 3 for the Formula 1 Italian Grand Prix.

The FIA’s decision
The International Federation has decided that there will be no consequences for the McLaren driver and the Monegasque.

The full document is here:
https://scuderiafans.com/official-fias- ... talian-gp/

Lucky
Lucky

Do you think that only three Oscar qualifications won are normal for a future top pilot?

Emag
Emag

And of course, when things go bad for RedBull they just resort to calling others cheaters :

https://x.com/rbr_daily/status/1829911199536046096?s=46

chrisc90

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:49
And of course, when things go bad for RedBull they just resort to calling others cheaters :

A bit bold to be stating they are calling other teams cheaters. :lol:

Lets face it, its more of a comment of how the front wing can possibly interact with the rest of the car.

Mercedes come out and said it was similar to a 'Eureka moment' when they realised it.

SilviuAgo

Some quali data from F1TelemetryData:

Emag
Emag

chrisc90 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:54
Emag wrote:

Lets face it, its more of a comment of how the front wing can possibly interact with the rest of the car.

Mercedes come out and said it was similar to a 'Eureka moment' when they realised it.
Mercedes didn’t specifically say it was the front wing though, did they. People are just assuming they meant one thing or another depending on what narrative they support.

And there was extra scrutiny regarding front wings at Spa but apparently that didn’t satisfy Helmut.

He is clearly insinuating that something should not be allowed in competitors front wings though, nothing bold on my part.

mwillems

FIA recorded the wings and have taken it away to ponder. Which makes me think they won't do anything till the end of the year, if at all.

I'd say the same if I were Marko. It's a compliment and they are a little desperate.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

chrisc90

Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:59
chrisc90 wrote:
Emag wrote:

Mercedes didn’t specifically say it was the front wing though, did they. People are just assuming they meant one thing or another depending on what narrative they support.

And there was extra scrutiny regarding front wings at Spa but apparently that didn’t satisfy Helmut.

He is clearly insinuating that something should not be allowed in competitors front wings though, nothing bold on my part.
That would be your perception of his comments however.

I agree, there was extra scrutiny around the front wings since Spa - if the FIA have continued to implement this for the remainder of the season, and not made it a tweak for next year.

What Marko could also mean, is how others are using the front wing as a interaction with the rest of the car. Its been said since near day 1 of this era of regulations, that the front wing plays a key role in the airflow around the car and how it acts.

Maybe they need to understand how others' front wings are working that airflow around the car.....rather than something illicit.

Emag
Emag

chrisc90 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 20:09
Emag wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:59
chrisc90 wrote:

That would be your perception of his comments however.

I agree, there was extra scrutiny around the front wings since Spa - if the FIA have continued to implement this for the remainder of the season, and not made it a tweak for next year.

What Marko could also mean, is how others are using the front wing as a interaction with the rest of the car. Its been said since near day 1 of this era of regulations, that the front wing plays a key role in the airflow around the car and how it acts.

Maybe they need to understand how others' front wings are working that airflow around the car.....rather than something illicit.
I just never take Helmut’s words from a positive light, so perhaps I jumped into conclusions.

He was throwing sly comments about the very same topic right around Canada too. I guess when the FIA cleared whatever they might have thought was illegal, they are starting to look into it as a potential area of improvement.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:10
LionsHeart wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:44
mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:41
My vpn is not working. Could you post it as a photo on the forum? Thanks in advance!
Just saying that if the positions remain the same in the race, Mclaren will lead the constructors by 3 points.
Ah, ok. Thank you. There are 9 races ahead. Time will tell.

MTudor
MTudor

I don't know if it's a common knoledge,but today I learnt something interesting about Mclarens new wind tunnel,it can also simulate cross winds and how suspension/tyres work on kerb ridding,that's why all the upgrades are working from the get go.
It's been said that when Rob Marshal saw the new wind tunnel was very impressed.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MTudor wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 20:57
I don't know if it's a common knoledge,but today I learnt something interesting about Mclarens new wind tunnel,it can also simulate cross winds and how suspension/tyres work on kerb ridding,that's why all the upgrades are working from the get go.
It's been said that when Rob Marshal saw the new wind tunnel was very impressed.
But a big thank you to Andreas Seidl for pushing this to the forefront. I remember when he said that the tools, the infrastructure, the simulator, the CFD and the wind tunnel were all outdated. Now McLaren has everything new and that helps.

CjC
CjC

chrisc90 wrote:
Emag wrote:

Agree. Not see it or heard everything he said but I’d imagine it’s a duel purpose comment.
His engineers need to analyse the front wings and make their own or the FIA need to analyse and re- strict the flexing.
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Also, one last tit that I heard from Lando today, he reckons the Mercs are looking after their front tyres better than McLaren so will be a big challenge in the race.
It wouldn’t surprise me if we only see one McLaren on the podium tomorrow
Just a fan's point of view

Motörhead
Motörhead

MTudor wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 20:57
I appreciate your enthusiasm for the above subject. But. Wherever you got this information from about kerb riding in a wind tunnel is completely false.
Having worked on wind tunnel systems for decades, it’s completely impossible to simulate.
Cross winds, yes, with yaw and a turntable but on a rolling road with a belt, Kerb riding can NEVER be simulated in a wind tunnel. CFD, yes, but all teams do that, but that’s sketchy to say the least and that’s best guess.
I hope that helps.