2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

It’s a shame to only get P4 as I thought more was possible but we do always see a bigger step from other teams in quali - I get the sense Ferrari run a higher engine mode sooner than the others.

That said, qualifying is clearly a weakness of this car - they slightly over corrected from last year - and tyre warmup might also explain issues at turn 1. The race pace is encouraging, as is the straight line speed, so I’m hopeful of more tomorrow.

I can see Leclerc’s concern that, if they’re still behind here, it shows how much they’ll miss at other circuits and that the car still lacks some outright pace but we can’t expect miracles overnight and if they’re competitive in the race that will be the big indicator.

ScuderiaLeo

search wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:45
in the post qualifying interview on Sky, Leclerc said Sainz' S1 was faster due to a different setup, though
I don't think they're contradicting each other. Leclerc has been worse in S1 for most of the weekend, realistically I'm sure they both knew they'd be better in different areas and yes they did have setups targeting different areas. It's just that they both encountered more understeer than expected in the areas where they were weak. Leclerc knew he'd be slower in S1, but not that much slower. Sainz knew he'd be slower in S3, but not that much slower.

"Consciously sacrificing" might've been bad wording on my part however. It's more like Sainz didn't think his losses in S3 would erase his gains in S1.
f1316 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:56
I can see Leclerc’s concern that, if they’re still behind here, it shows how much they’ll miss at other circuits and that the car still lacks some outright pace but we can’t expect miracles overnight and if they’re competitive in the race that will be the big indicator.
I didn't get the impression he was concerned about their performance relative to Mercedes/Red Bull for future races, but he was very disappointed about the fact they put effort into Monza specifically and it didn't come to fruition.

I'm surprised at so many people saying the upgrades did nothing. We honestly have no idea how much they did, we have no comparison to how they would've done without it, but neither driver has named the upgrades as the reason for their disappointment today. Unlike during the Barcelona triple header where they were very clear about it not being a gain.

Emag
Emag

Interesting comment by Leclerc regarding the bouncing but I suppose it does make sense. You have such low downforce here, perhaps they wouldn’t be close to the threshold of triggering bouncing even with the old car.

We will get a proper answer in the next couple of races if the new updates fixed it or not.

bluechris

I'm very happy because i see a stable car. Soon the car will be faster and this is very positive. They do seem to understand what went wrong in Barcelona spec and have made good corrections.
Now if tomorrow the heat is the same imo it will be a race between us and McLaren.

deadhead

yooogurt wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:40
deadhead wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:36
That's not how it works... they would be even better in Singapore, would that be because of the upgrade as well?

If they ran two races back to back at Zandvoort, then you can make that comparasion, otherwise it's a usless thing.
So you think a bouncing SF24 in Monza would have done just as well?
Do you think this upgrade is worth 0.8s ?

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

deadhead wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 20:16

Do you think this upgrade is worth 0.8s ?
how can we even quantify that? i feel like Zandvoort qualification was like an anomaly considering race pace.

Xyz22
Xyz22

f1316
f1316

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:57
search wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:45
in the post qualifying interview on Sky, Leclerc said Sainz' S1 was faster due to a different setup, though
I don't think they're contradicting each other. Leclerc has been worse in S1 for most of the weekend, realistically I'm sure they both knew they'd be better in different areas and yes they did have setups targeting different areas. It's just that they both encountered more understeer than expected in the areas where they were weak. Leclerc knew he'd be slower in S1, but not that much slower. Sainz knew he'd be slower in S3, but not that much slower.

"Consciously sacrificing" might've been bad wording on my part however. It's more like Sainz didn't think his losses in S3 would erase his gains in S1.
f1316 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:56
I didn't get the impression he was concerned about their performance relative to Mercedes/Red Bull for future races, but he was very disappointed about the fact they put effort into Monza specifically and it didn't come to fruition.

I'm surprised at so many people saying the upgrades did nothing. We honestly have no idea how much they did, we have no comparison to how they would've done without it, but neither driver has named the upgrades as the reason for their disappointment today. Unlike during the Barcelona triple header where they were very clear about it not being a gain.
Yeah exactly but this is what I meant: if they’ve put this much effort into this track specific package, it stands to reason that the gap could be more on a track where they don’t have track specific parts.

But I’m actually more and more convinced that this is a qualifying pace issue not a global pace thing. Eg

(1) Carlos said that the under steer got worse in Q3 when the clouds came in and temperatures dropped - this fits with a car that already has tyre warm up issues and especially given they are running lower downforce than most this weekend
(2) Max also said the same about understeer getting worse in Q3 - they also trimmed wings overnight to reduce downforce
(3) McLaren went the other way - adding more downforce overnight - and it paid off for them (not sure about Mercedes but I think they were running more as well)

Now conventional wisdom might suggest that having more downforce might also help preserve tyres in the race, but I’m not sure in this case: (a) because warm up will no longer be an issue (and a more understeery car can often be better for tyre life) (b) because there’s a lot of “free” time you can gain on the straights and this means you don’t have to push so hard in the corners. If we can get a good start (eg pass one car) then I think we have a shot.

deadhead

According to this LEC lost the front because of temperature:

https://x.com/fred__18/status/182993783 ... 2n8am2mMAg

ScuderiaLeo

deadhead wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 22:02
According to this LEC lost the front because of temperature:

https://x.com/fred__18/status/182993783 ... 2n8am2mMAg
The X auto-translate on this confused me so I asked my Italian friend to translate:

Leclerc said that he and Sainz were rotating the car differently, especially in the slow corners. My impression is, seeing how early Leclerc gets back on the throttle, especially in slow corners (keeping the throttle down even in the turn), and how many times he has asked for more front-end grip, Charles tries to plant the front end and rotate the car by shifting the rear with the throttle. This is the famous oversteer that he likes to control. Thinking back to the start of the year, the car had a lot of front-end grip under braking and he was comfortable with it. However, this changed when the car started to not rotate as easily, likely due to the balance shifting a bit towards the rear.

Sainz mentioned that as the temperature dropped, he lost performance at the front end (you can see how it doesn't turn at Lesmo1 and the Parabolica). This would align with what happened to Charles as well, who, by losing some front-end grip, couldn't rotate the car as he wanted. In effect, the same issue happened for both of them but appeared in different areas due to their driving styles, impacting Leclerc in the chicanes and Sainz in the long corners.

scuderiabrandon

Strange feeling before the race. The new tarmac really blurs the picture, especially with 4 teams so close to each other. Obviously, it has evolved a lot since FP2. Feels like the car will be quite raceable with very good straight line speed, but a big question mark over the deg for everyone really. McLaren, feel a bit inevitable at the moment. George sneaking in ahead of us might prove himself a bit of a headache.

Waz
Waz

Is the front tire temp an issue that will affect race pace? Or is the pace slow enough compared to Quali that it shouldn't matter?

Or ... Will the harder compounds hold temp better for the race? Charles has been driving really well lately, and a hustled win at Monza would be awesome.

search

scuderiabrandon wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 22:36
Strange feeling before the race. The new tarmac really blurs the picture, especially with 4 teams so close to each other. Obviously, it has evolved a lot since FP2.
Toto Wolff said with Friday's conditions it would have been a 3-stopper for them. The track for sure has improved since then, of course, but hopefully not enough for the usual easy 1-stopper for everyone.

MichaelFerrari

Good to see the upgrades working so well. Exactly as Fred predicted 😆

deadhead

MichaelFerrari wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 05:10
Good to see the upgrades working so well. Exactly as Fred predicted 😆
How do you know they are working well? This is a very low downforce circuit so we won't really be able to see if they've fixed the bouncing with DF piled on.