2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lucky
Lucky

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Espresso
Espresso

Motörhead wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 22:31
…. Wherever you got this information from about kerb riding in a wind tunnel is completely false.
Having worked on wind tunnel systems for decades, it’s completely impossible to simulate.
Cross winds, yes, with yaw and a turntable but on a rolling road with a belt, Kerb riding can NEVER be simulated in a wind tunnel…..
Curb riding can be simulated, but not 100%. Firstly need to be able to give the car vertical movement. Thats not too difficult.
Implementing the rolling axis is the difficult and expensive part. Because unlike an airplane the movements need to be sudden and fast.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Espresso wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 08:02
Motörhead wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 22:31
…. Wherever you got this information from about kerb riding in a wind tunnel is completely false.
Having worked on wind tunnel systems for decades, it’s completely impossible to simulate.
Cross winds, yes, with yaw and a turntable but on a rolling road with a belt, Kerb riding can NEVER be simulated in a wind tunnel…..
Curb riding can be simulated, but not 100%. Firstly need to be able to give the car vertical movement. Thats not too difficult.
Implementing the rolling axis is the difficult and expensive part. Because unlike an airplane the movements need to be sudden and fast.
This topic is very interesting. I think everything is tied not only to the wind tunnel, but also to the simulation in the CFD, as well as the uneven road simulator, which is used by all modern car design factories. Pumps connected to the wheels simulate all the unevenness that is on the track. I think this information, together with what is received in the wind tunnel, is already entered into the simulator and there the racers and test racers check how it really is. If this general system is well calibrated, then there should be no problems with finding the basic settings.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 22:03
Also, one last tit that I heard from Lando today, he reckons the Mercs are looking after their front tyres better than McLaren so will be a big challenge in the race.
It wouldn’t surprise me if we only see one McLaren on the podium tomorrow
Lando just takes the worst case scenario and assumes that’s what will always happen. Lewis might have had better deg in the friday long runs, but that’s only because he started so slow compared to the others.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ferrari has better deg than all of them, but I don’t believe they should be significantly worse than Mercedes, if at all.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 09:25
CjC wrote:
Also, one last tit that I heard from Lando today, he reckons the Mercs are looking after their front tyres better than McLaren so will be a big challenge in the race.
Lando just takes the worst case scenario and assumes that’s what will always happen. Lewis might have had better deg in the friday long runs, but that’s only because he started so slow compared to the others.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ferrari has better deg than all of them, but I don’t believe they should be significantly worse than Mercedes, if at all.
Yea, I’ve since read what other drivers have said and watched Karun’s analysis of Landos and Russels fastest lap and Karun said Russell had understeer whereas Lando didn’t, the Ferrari drivers complained bitterly about understeer yesterday and as we know Red Bull seems to have inherent understeer, so all might not be that bad for McLaren?

The pessimist I’m me wouldn’t be surprised if McLaren have a bad start and it turns out that clean air is king or if McLaren have a good start then slipstream is king :roll:
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 10:14
Emag wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 09:25
CjC wrote:

Yea, I’ve since read what other drivers have said and watched Karun’s analysis of Landos and Russels fastest lap and Karun said Russell had understeer whereas Lando didn’t, the Ferrari drivers complained bitterly about understeer yesterday and as we know Red Bull seems to have inherent understeer, so all might not be that bad for McLaren?

The pessimist I’m me wouldn’t be surprised if McLaren have a bad start and it turns out that clean air is king or if McLaren have a good start then slipstream is king :roll:
Ah yeah, the start is another matter. I am almost 100% convinced they will drop positions at the start. I don’t remember the last time Lando had a start where he held position.

mwillems

According to Zak they got stuff wrong last week, without being specific, and they have addressed it for this week.

But that doesn't explain the previous starts. I don't think we'll lose first but I'm wary of the team trying to.unpick the mess if we have a bad start. It's a tight field and Max will be in the mix.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

I imagine there will be an instruction not to fight after the first corner.

-Bandit

nudgeme
nudgeme

A bit of fun. Enjoy the race everyone.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Today is all about execution. The 2 papaya side by side making themselves as wide as possible into turn 1. Oscar not passing lando and then from there trying to manage the race, building a gap if possible but the main focus being tyre preservation until it is clearer what others are planning on. I will be very surprised if we get a 1/2 I'm just not sold on Oscars tyre management in comparison to others around us but if he ends up helping lando build a strong lead and finishes p3/p4 I will still be very happy.
Russell is the big danger imo at the start, the ferraris will be desperate to make positions but both will be more cautious, it's a long race.
We also have to factor in that there is every chance that max could ruin his own race through frustration and desperation in trying to pass those in front who will not yield anymore seeing as machine for machine others are now an equal.

It's going to be interesting. I hope we can eat into the WCC and WDC today [-o<

mwillems

I think whoever gets to the corner first goes through unchallenged, is going to be the instruction. Particularly after their last bump at Monza.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 11:42
I think whoever gets to the corner first goes through unchallenged, is going to be the instruction. Particularly after their last bump at Monza.
Ahead of the Italian Grand Prix, McLaren Team Principal Andrea Stella reminded his drivers of the rules of fighting…

Andrea Stella: "They are free to fight on the track, taking the necessary precautions. We try to achieve synergy between our two drivers, and not to say: "Your teammate is your main rival." We try to avoid this approach, because it is counterproductive.

The first corner is a papaya rule, so you have to be extra careful if there's a car in the same colours next to you.

It's really important to us, especially with the car being so competitive, that both drivers see the flag in the highest possible position."

Lucky
Lucky

Ben1980
Ben1980

There has to be an agreement not to fight at the start. It shouldn't matter who gets there first, as long as they keep the rest behind. They cannot worry about each other, and then the aim shoukd be a 1 and 2 with Lando and then Oscar.

mclaren111

We have a win in Indycar as well... :D