2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dimond
Dimond

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Dunlay wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:36
I won't be surprised if Lando starts talking to other teams like Red Bull and Aston Martin.
Do you think he would make fewer mistakes in those teams?
Last edited by Dimond on 01 Sep 2024, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

JPower
JPower

Dunlay wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:36
I won't be surprised if Lando starts talking to other teams like Red Bull and Aston Martin.
Would be an epically stupid decision given McLaren's trajectory.

Dimond
Dimond

saputra_25 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:39
I still don't understand why they have not made up their mind to put Lando a priority...
Apparently, the team think Oscar is the first driver

stonehenge
stonehenge

McLaren is just puzzling to me. So puzzling I’m not even sure whether to criticize their decisions. Are they playing three dimensional chess? I really don’t understand what they’re trying to do.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Dimond wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:51
saputra_25 wrote:
I still don't understand why they have not made up their mind to put Lando a priority...
Apparently, the team think Oscar is the first driver
Because he drives like one.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 01 Sep 2024, 16:55, edited 2 times in total.

wickedz50
wickedz50

Mcl_G10 wrote:
Pit wall should have told oscar to stay out and manage. I don't think Charles would have caught and passed oscar.
Very difficult to see the logic here, all due respect to the strategist and the team, yet they look like amateurs today. The more I watch these races everything looks orchestrated by FIAs to make F1 GaGa again, how fair and how good the racing in new regs, absolute brazen way to lose the win

Swed3121
Swed3121

Piastri really needs to learn his place, and that is lando’s backup. This was another McLaren master lads in throwing away a race victory. Will they ever learn

Somehow this team makes watching your team have the fastest car a chore.

Emag
Emag

This team is in midfield mentality. Either of the other top teams would have won at least 2 or 3 more races with a car like this.

It’s honestly embarrassing, I wouldn’t wanna be part of that “strategy” team or sitting in the pitwall while this sh!tshow unfolds.

Seerix
Seerix

The first lap overtake by PIA was great, but WAY to aggressive against his own teammate. He exploited Lando being (kinda) in WDC, so he knows NOR will be careful not to crash. VER did the same thing in 2021 being super aggressive, when HAM was behind in points and HAM could not afford risking crashes. Not very nice from PIA, not a team play.
Strategy I'd say was lucky for Ferrari. They want to win here no matter what, so they went for it and it worked even though noone expected it.
Lando had a day off, although fastest lap was great once again. I expected the team to swap them last lap, but they did not, so WDC is not happening. However unlikely it was until today, it's much more unlikely now, without team arranging for maximum points for NOR.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Tvetovnato wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:30
Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:23
Oscar putting leclerc in front of Norris ruined that race for the team.

But, tge plan was for a 2 stop, and that's why Piastri was gunning all those fastest laps. The Mclaren wasn't great on its tyres.
Well it’s not fair to blame Oscar. He did what he was allowed to, and did it very well. It’s McLaren who needs to decide what they want. If they realistically think they could win the WDC, they need to be assertive and switch Oscar and Lando in the final stint and needs to be VERY clear going forward.

Anyways, 8 points on Max is still OK, and if Mercedes and Ferrari continue to sneak in between it can still erode quickly. Exciting times ahead.
In hindsight it's very fair to blame Piastri. He almost caused a crash with his teammate, he pushed his teammate behind another car and brought that other team into the championship battle.

If Oscar doesn't pull that move, Lando isn't being Leclerc, and they probably cost to an easy 1/2 and go towards pushing Ferrari out of tge challenge for the title. He did, and it caused all the issues.

But, I think it will now be cleared up going forward.

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

wickedz50 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:54
Mcl_G10 wrote:
Pit wall should have told oscar to stay out and manage. I don't think Charles would have caught and passed oscar.
Very difficult to see the logic here, all due respect to the strategist and the team, yet they look like amateurs today. The more I watch these races everything looks orchestrated by FIAs to make F1 GaGa again, how fair and how good the racing in new regs, absolute brazen way to lose the win
Its almost like watching Ferrari swapped strategists with McLaren recently, i am quite sure they wont win any championships at this rate, maybe even Ferrari might catch them on constructors.

chasefreak
chasefreak

WOW WOW WOW

Mclaren has 200% given up on the drivers championship.
I wonder if this is how you build a world championship team.

What was all that talk abt u will need Oscar and team to win it.
When land was called into his 1st pitstop he was abt to over take Charles, I mean literally.

All hats off to Ferrari and Charles, they pulled a blinder on Strat.

The rift within drivers have officially started.

I still feel Lando is not ready to be a champion. And this would actually mould him to be one.

You may just see a new Lando after this.
The cool down room was rather tense thsn cool

Ben1980
Ben1980

Mcl_G10 wrote:
Oscar punished his tyres a lot at tge start of tge stint. Trying to not be undercut.

Alex_Z
Alex_Z

Swed3121 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:55
Piastri really needs to learn his place, and that is lando’s backup. This was another McLaren master lads in throwing away a race victory. Will they ever learn

Somehow this team makes watching your team have the fastest car a chore.
Norris is not championship material I'm afraid. I don't see the same drive and hunger to capitalise on all the chances he's been given. Frankly, he should be leading the WDC today - that's five race wins squandered now, how many more chances does he need? When the car is not as dominant as it was in Zandvoort, he fails to deliver time and time again.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:23
Oscar putting leclerc in front of Norris ruined that race for the team.

But, tge plan was for a 2 stop, and that's why Piastri was gunning all those fastest laps. The Mclaren wasn't great on its tyres.
Everyone had to go through a graining phase on the hards but most people pitted during the graining phase. Ferrari went through it and no longer had graining at the end which is why he wasn't caught.

Mcl_G10 wrote:
This is what makes me so mad. Piastri was about 5 seconds ahead of Leclerc and 15 or so ahead of Sainz. You are not under threat of undercut or being overtaken if you have one or two bad laps. You have a significant buffer against a car that is slower than you. Only car that was doing a 2 stop and was "threatening" Piastri if his tires go off later is Norris. Since Norris was already on a two stop, why put both cars on that strategy when there is a chance that it may end up being a one stop race?

If Piastri starts to lose pace and Leclerc starts to catch him by a second a lap, then sure, go ahead and pit him even though even then it might be smarted to keep him out to block/slow down Leclerc so Norris has a better chance of catching up.

I do understand that if one stop tires went off the cliff, they would have made the right call but in that case Norris gets the win (great result) and it is still likely that Piastri with his buffer will prevail against Ferraris.

Completely unacceptable strategy call, similar in how bad it was to Silverstone where they didn't double stack Piastri.

About the race, Piastri looked to be faster but maybe he was always expecting to two stop so used his tires more. Hard to tell. I am annoyed by the risky T2 overtake that could have ended their race and then gave the position to Leclerc who was then a constant thorn in McLaren side. Leclerc in P2 forced Norris to undercut him early, which led to Piastri defending against Leclerc undercut which led to this stupid two stop strategy. If you get Norris and Piastri 1-2 after the first lap and tell them to work together to build a gap against Leclerc, then you can open up racing if you want later.