2024 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Aug 30 - Sep 1

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Elite
Elite

Re: 2024 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Aug 30 - Sep 1

The McLaren did not have rb19 style supremacy today. Maybe last race but not today.

And Mercedes were clear 3rd fastest not second. Hamilton only kept in contact with sainz because Sainz was just slow as hell.

That was unnecessary from Oscar at the start, could've taken them both out.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Elite wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:29
The McLaren did not have rb19 style supremacy today. Maybe last race but not today.
Mclaren was 0.5s/lap faster on the H than anyone else in the middle stint. Still their drivers were hammering in bursts of 1s/lap faster, thus killing their tyres. There was no need to. The Mclaren is very very clearly RB19-like in dominance (hardly 0.1-0.2 in Q, but more than 0.3-0.4 in race)

Elite wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:29
And Mercedes were clear 3rd fastest not second. Hamilton only kept in contact with sainz because Sainz was just slow as hell.
I am talking of overall pace over the last 4-5 races, since Mercedes brought their updates, not just this race in particular. In this race, Ferrari's low-drag setup advantage (which they always have) came through.

PlatinumZealot

Ferrari upgrades obviously working. McLaren could not put a 7 second gap to Charles which is usually the safe zone gap. McLaren should have kept Piastri out and blinked after Charles. Basic strat when your car is the fastest. Who Did they think they were they fighting really?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

search

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:50
Ferrari upgrades obviously working. McLaren could not put a 7 second gap to Charles which is usually the safe zone gap. McLaren should have kept Piastri out and blinked after Charles. Basic strat when your car is the fastest. Who Did they think they were they fighting really?
I think they were worried after seeing Norris' tires. But unlike Piastri, he was pushing hard from lap 1 (to undercut Leclerc). Key for durability today was to bring them in gently.

And to be fair, they asked Piastri on the radio, and he didn't think a one-stopper was possible for him.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

So using everyone's Spa logic , Leclercs car should be under weight.

Piastri and McLaren screwed Norris out of a title. Amazing. All they had to do was tell Piastri not to fight on the first lap of Norris got ahead in the first corner

Gothrek
Gothrek

fourmula1 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:27
Gothrek wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:20
Jambier wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:18
McLaren is throwing away a LOT of wins this year...

On one hand, it is a joy to see them so fast, now they need to be used to be the top team fighting for WCC again

Mclaren, or Norris? Cause Norris failed his first lap again...
Sensationalism. Where’s the fail? Piastri had a tow and sent it with no room for error. If Norris pushes any harder they touch. Sick of reading this stuff.
Sure Piastri had a tow, I am just stating a fact. Norris failed again to keep the lead on the first lap. Which is becoming kind of a habit. And if you let your teammate overtake you like that, you will not become the leading driver either. It must be getting inside his head now, a lot of times he takes pole, but not end up leading after lap1. That with additional pressure of becoming a title contender - does not seem to mix well. Let's see how the year progresses.

dialtone
dialtone

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:06

Piastri and McLaren screwed Norris out of a title. Amazing. All they had to do was tell Piastri not to fight on the first lap of Norris got ahead in the first corner
I keep reading this on Piastri and frankly I don't get it.

MCL was 1-2 for the 2nd stint, if Lando gets 2nd in the end it's still game. Lando did 10 laps on hards in his 2nd stint, is this also Piastri's fault? Piastri was 5s ahead of LEC with comfortable margin to NOR, they still went on and pit him with 14-15 laps to go instead of copying what LEC would do a lap later.

It's not PIA that lost the MCL 1-2, it's the strange strategy calls and whatever reason you may have for Lando making his 1st set of hard tires last 10 laps. The rest is just racing and excuses imho.

EDIT:

This post race Ham interview is very clear, when they told him the times of the front he immediately thought they weren't going to make a 1 stopper and probably went into the race planning for a 2 stopper. Ferrari let up the pace and allowed the 1 stopper come to them, even friday already Charles was talking about their tire management superiority here and that would be how they would have won.

Frankly hearing this even from Ham makes me change my mind... Ferrari took this victory from MCL who frankly went into the race unprepared strategically, team squabbles aside.
Last edited by dialtone on 01 Sep 2024, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

dialtone wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:10
TeamKoolGreen wrote:

MCL was 1-2 for the 2nd stint, if Lando gets 2nd in the end it's still game. Lando did 10 laps on hards in his 2nd stint, is this also Piastri's fault? Piastri was 5s ahead of LEC with comfortable margin to NOR, they still went on and pit him with 14-15 laps to go instead of copying what LEC would do a lap later.

It's not PIA that lost the MCL 1-2, it's the strange strategy calls and whatever reason you may have for Lando making his 1st set of hard tires last 10 laps. The rest is just racing and excuses imho.
Piastri screwed the 1,2 finish on the first lap by going for an aggressive pass on his teammate. And McLaren did it to themselves for not having team orders to not fight if Norris was ahead on the first corner. Of course everyone wants to see a fight. But team orders aren't illegal and for the own good of the titles , they had to give Piastri team orders. So much for repaying Norris for the team orders earlier in the year. What a joke

Norris was still the faster driver and got fastest lap.

dialtone
dialtone

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:15
dialtone wrote:
TeamKoolGreen wrote:

Piastri screwed the 1,2 finish on the first lap by going for an aggressive pass on his teammate. And McLaren did it to themselves for not having team orders to not fight if Norris was ahead on the first corner. Of course everyone wants to see a fight. But team orders aren't illegal and for the own good of the titles , they had to give Piastri team orders. So much for repaying Norris for the team orders earlier in the year. What a joke

(cut content here)
There is just no data to support this imho, sorry. Charles was 3s behind Lando at some point half-way and 8s behind Piastri. The strategy was wrong, the drivers just drove their cars.

Elite
Elite

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:15
dialtone wrote:
TeamKoolGreen wrote:

Norris was still the faster driver and got fastest lap.
Me and you... we don't agree on much. But I fully agree with you here.

Piastri thought of himself on the first lap, he could've easily ended both of their races. I hope if Piastri tries something like this again Lando doesn't back out and Piastri gets taken out for this petulant behaviour :wink:

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Gothrek wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:08
fourmula1 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:27
Gothrek wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:20

Mclaren, or Norris? Cause Norris failed his first lap again...
Sensationalism. Where’s the fail? Piastri had a tow and sent it with no room for error. If Norris pushes any harder they touch. Sick of reading this stuff.
Sure Piastri had a tow, I am just stating a fact. Norris failed again to keep the lead on the first lap. Which is becoming kind of a habit. And if you let your teammate overtake you like that, you will not become the leading driver either. It must be getting inside his head now, a lot of times he takes pole, but not end up leading after lap1. That with additional pressure of becoming a title contender - does not seem to mix well. Let's see how the year progresses.
You can trash Norris all you want for getting passed on the first lap. It is irrelevant. The point is , it shouldn't have happened. For McLarens own aims , they should have used team orders on the first lap. They even told Norris when he let Piastri win, that the favor would be repaid.

And as far as Piastri goes , he still managed to lose the race. The strategy call was on him. He blew it. And couldn't push his pace to catch Leclerc.

PlatinumZealot

TeamKoolGreen wrote:

That's not Spa logic. That's a madman's logic.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:48
https://i.imgur.com/xV7SBvr.jpeg
Catastrophic... Nothing some work with sports psychologist can't resolve, but boy those are a lot of missed chances
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PlatinumZealot

Nothing wrong with the Piastri pass. The Macca strat was just rubbish when they had the pace they had.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

bananapeel23

I just want to say that no matter who wins or doesn't. Damn near every single race since Miami has been amazing and predicting the winner has been an exercise in futility. We should really take the time to appreciate just how good this season is.