2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:06
LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:57
SilviuAgo wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:24

Ha ha ha...so the car was mighty in Zandvoort and this is the reason Lando won by 23 seconds and made the fastest lap in the last lap. Remind me where did Oscar finished that race?! Ooo...wait, only Lando's car was mighty.
Sometimes I read on this forum such "interesting" posts that I think was better when McLaren was eliminated with both cars in Q1.

I am a McLaren fan since 1992, I saw a lot of events during this time, with ups and downs, chearing for Senna, Hakkinen or Hamilton WDC or suffering for periods with painful results.
But you have to admit that, beside a mighty second stint from Leclerc and Ferrari strategy, today victory was "facilitated" by the turn 4 attack of Oscar on Lando. Specially that was not a clean overtake and Lando had to heavy brake and lost P2 to Charles.

For the moment McLaren looks good on WCC but if they want to avoid a toxic relationship between the two drivers, a possible collision between them one time or to have a chance on WDC this "papaya rules" bullsh1t should stop.
I fully support this. It is a big problem when Oscar tries to prove to everyone that he is faster, although he is slower in qualifying and usually wears out his tyres faster in the race than Lando. In addition, he is losing significantly more points than Lando in relation to Verstappen. At this point, I am ready to admit that Oscar does not want to be a team player. In this case, there will be no more handouts from Lando, I am 100% sure of that.

Lando has shown since 2019 that he is a team player and remains so. In Oscar's case, I think he has become a bit of a star. Brown should already decide whether they believe in Lando or not, whether they are ready to make him number one until the end of 2024 or not. If this continues, then a clash between Oscar and Lando is inevitable.

Lando tried to avoid Oscar until the very end, just to avoid a collision, and Oscar entered the turn as if Lando wasn't there. And for some reason everyone writes that Lando isn't the stuff that makes world champions. :D Well, well, I see that Lando is on average more stable and faster in qualifying and races. The drivers' standings won't let me lie.
Since Miami Oscar has got 156 points and Lando has got 158 points. Until these last 2 races, Lando had only finished ahead of Max twice out of 7. Now 4 out of 9.

Lando hasn't closed any gaps more than Oscar since Miami. The criticism is well justified, he should be doing more than this. It's an unpleasant opinion, but most certainly not an unfair one.

Lando looks to me like a driver that doesn't have what it takes to be number 1.
This is true. But if we remember how many points Lando lost due to the fault of the team strategists or the engineer, then this gap would not be 2 points, but much more. If Max had driven according to the rules in Austria, then the gap would have been even greater. If Lando had not left a large reserve in Belgium at the start when leaving La Source, then again, the gap would have been even greater. I already wrote that Lando dodges Oscar every time. Oscar behaves like an impudent person, not like a team player. I am sure that in two weeks Lando will also begin a tough fight with Oscar.

Luckily for me, I've been watching F1 for a long time, so you won't be able to convince me otherwise.

mwillems

Swed3121 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:13
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:12
Because he doesn't convert.
Would it be better if he crashed into Oscar as was his right to defend the position?

What a joke of a comment…
It is, but do me a favour and find the quote where I ever said he shouldn't have given the position.

You're putting words in my mouth and then stamping your feet.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Dafnalina wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:10
Are people forgetting Austria?

I don't understand people saying Lando had a bad race. Qualified excellent, improved his start, avoided a double McLaren dnf and had almost the same pace as Oscar being in dirty air and all. If anything, he's the reason they finished the race at all.

Oscar wouldn't have pulled that move on anyone else. Had he tried it on anyone but his teammate he’d have been shoved off the road, but Norris as always was playing the team game.
Well, at least you understand this. And most of the forum will disagree with you.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:16
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:57

I fully support this. It is a big problem when Oscar tries to prove to everyone that he is faster, although he is slower in qualifying and usually wears out his tyres faster in the race than Lando. In addition, he is losing significantly more points than Lando in relation to Verstappen. At this point, I am ready to admit that Oscar does not want to be a team player. In this case, there will be no more handouts from Lando, I am 100% sure of that.

Lando has shown since 2019 that he is a team player and remains so. In Oscar's case, I think he has become a bit of a star. Brown should already decide whether they believe in Lando or not, whether they are ready to make him number one until the end of 2024 or not. If this continues, then a clash between Oscar and Lando is inevitable.

Lando tried to avoid Oscar until the very end, just to avoid a collision, and Oscar entered the turn as if Lando wasn't there. And for some reason everyone writes that Lando isn't the stuff that makes world champions. :D Well, well, I see that Lando is on average more stable and faster in qualifying and races. The drivers' standings won't let me lie.
Since Miami Oscar has got 156 points and Lando has got 158 points. Until these last 2 races, Lando had only finished ahead of Max twice out of 7. Now 4 out of 9.

Lando hasn't closed any gaps more than Oscar since Miami. The criticism is well justified, he should be doing more than this. It's an unpleasant opinion, but most certainly not an unfair one.

This is true. But if we remember how many points Lando lost due to the fault of the team strategists or the engineer, then this gap would not be 2 points, but much more. If Max had driven according to the rules in Austria, then the gap would have been even greater. If Lando had not left a large reserve in Belgium at the start when leaving La Source, then again, the gap would have been even greater. I already wrote that Lando dodges Oscar every time. Oscar behaves like an impudent person, not like a team player. I am sure that in two weeks Lando will also begin a tough fight with Oscar.

Luckily for me, I've been watching F1 for a long time, so you won't be able to convince me otherwise.
I don't agree that the strategists have done it all, I think Lando is equal to blame at least in many performances.

-Bandit

SilviuAgo

E8404424 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:52
I really do wonder what McLaren are up to with the way their managing Lando and Oscar. In Hungary it was the right thing to reverse Lando and Oscar, Oscar was leading and was put out of position by the team, who never really explained properly why they did it to Lando and then they emotionally bullied the guy via his race engineer. I was expecting them to take a family member hostage at one point or get on the radio with "Lando, we have a box of kittens here, don't make me do it". Stella should have stepped up, got on the radio and said "Lando, we pitted you first to cover Lewis. Oscar would still be leading if that was not the case, this was a team decision and we are informing you, as a team order, to let Oscar back through. I apologise for not being as clear as we should have been" .. End of situation. Management is doing things right, Leadership is doing the right things. Horner, Wolff etc etc would have got straight on the radio and nipped it in the bud. That whole exchange, as someone who led people as a military officer was utterly appalling and shameful leadership, let alone management. We then had Lando being told, for the world to hear, that you are going to need Oscars help in the future. Basically, you cant win without him. Some vote of confidence. After the race Zack stood up and said that they supported Lando's bid for the drivers title .. straight after you had lost him seven points in the chase for it to no loss for the team no matter who finished in front of who.

Lando has been with that team for six years, when they were winning nothing, and lapping at the back, Red Bull came calling more tha once when they were winning races for fun, he stayed loyal and signed contract after contract. He has two wins to Oscars one. He has outscored, outqualified and outraced Oscar over last season and this season, and it's not exactly close either. If you are not going to support that driver, now we are in the last third of the season when he has a chance of a drivers title then when are you going to do it ?? .. I can see Stella getting to Qatar and saying "Now Oscar will support Lando". McLaren seem far more keen on appearing fair to Oscar than supporting Lando going for the WDC. Stella is clearly fantastic technically but he couldn't hit the ground if he threw himself at it when it comes to man management in my book.

And I know that this is just Oscars second year, and as much as I admire the guys talent, and I do as he is extremely talented, if he was the next Max or Lewis we would have seen it by now. He went off under zero pressure in Hungary, lost two seconds and arguably a win at Spa by almost sending a mechanic into the next dimension and hasn't looked like winning in the style of Lando at Zaanvoort, or anything close to it, anywhere. His favourite thing seems to be fighting his team mate above anyone else, Austria lap one springs to mind. Today he basically put a do or die move on that required his team mate to either give way or collide. And that let LeClerc into second, it benefitted him but hurt the team by putting Lando in third and possibly ultimately cost him the race. With Lando, or Oscar in second McLaren control that race. That move let LeClerc in the door for the win. I thought Lando dealt with it brilliantly, he didn't do what he did before after the race and get emotional or play the victim. He praised Oscar, laughed it off and looked pretty unfazed but it's clear that Oscar is only out for Oscar, and that's fair enough. The cool down room was chilly to say the least. Lando needs to do the same now, he seems far more mentally strong since we came back from the summer break. Next time Oscar sticks his nose up the inside slam the door shut hard in the same style that Oscar seemed happy to do today. If they both go off then you'll know for next time. And it was a ballsy move from Oscar to be fair, a brave move, but ultimately a stupid one as it gave away the chance for the team to control the pace.

McLaren need to state what they are doing. Either support Lando or not. State it clearly, or not, instead of this wishy washy "Papaya Rules" drivel. Right now you have the Mclaren driver with the only realistic chance of the drivers title not being supported in that, a team who are more interested in apparently being seen as fair rather than realistic, and a situation where the leading scoring driver in the team can be forgiven for wondering if McLaren genuinely want him to win the drivers title.

McLaren need to get a grip on that sharpish one way or the other.
The PERFECT summary of everything happening at McLaren in the last years and, specially, starting with Hungary! Respect! 🤝

JordanMugen

LionsHeart wrote:
Oscar behaves like an impudent person, not like a team player. I am sure that in two weeks Lando will also begin a tough fight with Oscar.
Yet Oscar is rarely penalised for causing a collision IIRC. The notion Oscar causes collision at the rate of Ocon or Magnussen is not consistent with the relative lack of penalties for Oscar handed out by the stewards. :)

proteus

Im sorry guys, i watched the race. The hotel room had the F1 race available on the TV in my room :) But still good result though.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:19
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I don't agree that the strategists have done it all, I think Lando is equal to blame at least in many performances.
There have been quite a few mistakes this year, both on the team's side and on the side of both drivers. I have already discussed this before the summer break and I do not intend to return to that topic. I could say that my disappointment knows no bounds, but in this case, "well done" to everyone. Now a lot will depend on what is decided within the team. They have already written that Lando may leave for another team, I am not sure about this yet. Most likely, Oscar will leave earlier.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lando has been the better driver this season, he has most points, and would have more if he hadn't been run off in Austria. His season has been better than Oscar.

He has a chance of a deserved title, Oscar has pretty almost no chance. The team need to pull their finger out, and stop being stupid.

SilviuAgo

Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:29
Lando has been the better driver this season, he has most points, and would have more if he hadn't been run off in Austria. His season has been better than Oscar.

He has a chance of a deserved title, Oscar has pretty almost no chance. The team need to pull their finger out, and stop being stupid.
Oscar thought that by passing Lando he will win the race. But with that stupid and surprising move (let's be honest that not even RB was expecting Oscar to attack Lando in Turn4 of the first lap) he opened the door for Charles victory. What Oscar did was trading a 1(Lando) -2 (him) for a 2 (him) - 3 (Lando).
I am very curious what Andrea Stella or Zak Brown will say now about the "papaya family" and "maximizing every opportunity".

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

SilviuAgo wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:34
Ben1980 wrote:

Oscar thought that by passing Lando he will win the race. But with that stupid and surprising move (let's be honest that not even RB was expecting Oscar to attack Lando in Turn4 of the first lap) he opened the door for Charles victory. What Oscar did was trading a 1(Lando) -2 (him) for a 2 (him) - 3 (Lando).
I am very curious what Andrea Stella or Zak Brown will say now about the "papaya family" and "maximizing every opportunity".
And Lando has already said that if it could be done all over again, he would have taken that chicane differently, giving a direct hint that it will be very difficult for Oscar from now on. I am looking forward to it.

The games are over.

SilviuAgo

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:38
SilviuAgo wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:34
Ben1980 wrote:

And Lando has already said that if it could be done all over again, he would have taken that chicane differently, giving a direct hint that it will be very difficult for Oscar from now on. I am looking forward to it.

The games are over.
When you had a good start, you are P1, heading for Turn 4 with your teammate behind and you believed all that bull_--- said by radio in Hungary about Oscar support of course you take the turn different if, for example, Max was P2. But I think for Lando was a real suprise Oscar's attack and now he learned his lesson.
In this WDC race he is alone and can rely no one.
Last edited by SilviuAgo on 01 Sep 2024, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

What would the drivers points be of Norris won the race that he was forced to yield to Piastri and won this race while Max finished 6th ? MacLaren is beating itself in the drivers title. Max is very vulnerable and the lack of priority on Norris is costing a lot

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

As Chain Bear said on F1 Word, Piastri's move on Russell in the first corner might have cost McLaren the win. That is what allowed the Ferrari in.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:24
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:19
LionsHeart wrote:

There have been quite a few mistakes this year, both on the team's side and on the side of both drivers. I have already discussed this before the summer break and I do not intend to return to that topic. I could say that my disappointment knows no bounds, but in this case, "well done" to everyone. Now a lot will depend on what is decided within the team. They have already written that Lando may leave for another team, I am not sure about this yet. Most likely, Oscar will leave earlier.
I am not sure either way. I think the point of no team orders is to let the settle it on the track. The lack of a number 1 is precisely because it hasn't been settled on track.

I know how you feel about the previous races, but obviously in this conversation they can't really be brushed aside.

Lando wasn't terrible today, just not performing tp expectations again.

-Bandit