2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
blastdoman
blastdoman

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:05
What undercut? Oscar made a mistake that costed him 2 seconds and that is what costed him 1st place in Hungary and not the undercut. And then we have Oscar doing this reckless move in Monza which was successful because Lando let him pass to avoid collision costing the team an easy 1-2.

Unless of course the team doesnt care about the WDC.
We saw different races then

Ben1980
Ben1980

I do think Piastri doesn't want Lando to win the title. Especially as Lando is Mclarens boy, and Oscar isn't. Thinks it will impact him going forward in the team.

It needs to be 7.75 points that race to claw back. The team does ( and will ) make decisions.

JRindt

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:26

The overtake was too strong but It was also fair.
It LOOKS fair only because lando chose to yield instead of crashing with his teammate. He himself said in post race interview, that he doesn’t know what else he should’ve done, and If he braked any later, there would have been contact.

Now, if you are forcing your teammate into a yield or crash move, is that really fair? Let’s not even consider that fact that lando is in with a realistic chance of WDC and your team is gunning for WCC, and holding a 1-2 would maximise the result.

I know lando has made his fair share of mistakes this season, but let’s not glorify Oscar’s move, as it would have been a crash if it was with anybody else.

Ben1980
Ben1980

blastdoman wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:13
Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:05
What undercut? Oscar made a mistake that costed him 2 seconds and that is what costed him 1st place in Hungary and not the undercut. And then we have Oscar doing this reckless move in Monza which was successful because Lando let him pass to avoid collision costing the team an easy 1-2.

Unless of course the team doesnt care about the WDC.
We saw different races then
Is this Hungary?

Oscar did make a mistake and brought the undercut into play, he was ahead by enough for it not to matter at one point.

mwillems

JRindt wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:18
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:26

The overtake was too strong but It was also fair.
It LOOKS fair only because lando chose to yield instead of crashing with his teammate. He himself said in post race interview, that he doesn’t know what else he should’ve done, and If he braked any later, there would have been contact.

Now, if you are forcing your teammate into a yield or crash move, is that really fair? Let’s not even consider that fact that lando is in with a realistic chance of WDC and your team is gunning for WCC, and holding a 1-2 would maximise the result.

I know lando has made his fair share of mistakes this season, but let’s not glorify Oscar’s move, as it would have been a crash if it was with anybody else.
I didn't apply any glory to it. I said it was too strong from the moment it happened to now. But it was a pretty standard elbows out move that forced Lando to yield. Lando will naturally complain, that's not indicative of anything.

But it didn't stop Lando making progress for the rest of the race. He struggled to get away from Charles in the middle phase. If he'd been in front and kept his spot then I think our chances would have been worse. I think the overtake is being used as a smokescreen.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Unbelievable! It happened. Has Lando really been made number one for the rest of the season?!

https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-make- ... verstappen

I don't know whether to believe this or not.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 01 Sep 2024, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

Ben1980
Ben1980

I still think they would have coasted to a 1/2 if Lando didn't fall behind Ferrari.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:39
Unbelievable! It happened. Has Lando really been made number one for the rest of the season?!

You mean Stella's quotes from earlier?
I think we need to see a clearer quote and what the rules of engagement are.

-Bandit

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

In the face of McLaren throwing away another handful of points in the WDC for nothing, I was thinking about why they would do that. I think it's not an unreasonable possibility that Piastri has some no team order/ equal treatment clause in his contract.

After all they had to poach him from Alpine and might have been open to make some concessions. Webber of all people would know to take care of this.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:45
LionsHeart wrote:

How much earlier? I cited the source. But I don't surf foreign resources, because my native language is not there. I read this on the Russian-language autosport. And I haven't found confirmation in other sources yet. So let's wait.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:49
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

How much earlier? I cited the source. But I don't surf foreign resources, because my native language is not there. I read this on the Russian-language autosport. And I haven't found confirmation in other sources yet. So let's wait.
I saw Stella quoted but not exactly the same earlier. But it wasn't clear, seemed like he was saying that they'd go away and look at it. You did apply the link but I think you edited the post as it wasn't there when I clicked on quote.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
In the face of McLaren throwing away another handful of points in the WDC for nothing, I was thinking about why they would do that. I think it's not an unreasonable possibility that Piastri has some no team order/ equal treatment clause in his contract.

After all they had to poach him from Alpine and might have been open to make some concessions. Webber of all people would know to take care of this.
But using the same example of Ocon, we see that when or if a driver does not obey the command or instructions before the race, he can fly overboard.

I've never liked team orders. But it's not the start of the season. In fact, 2/3 of the races are already over. There are 8 races left. Lando has a better mathematical chance of winning the title. What's the problem?

You can give them equal chances until the very end, but then the team could repeat 2007 exactly. And that would no longer be a joke.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 01 Sep 2024, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:54
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I saw Stella quoted but not exactly the same earlier. But it wasn't clear, seemed like he was saying that they'd go away and look at it. You did apply the link but I think you edited the post as it wasn't there when I clicked on quote.
You are right, I edited the post. I wanted to find the original source so that my words would be supported by something.

Slahinki
Slahinki

LionsHeart wrote:

If it's true, better late then never I suppose. But this stuff should have been sorted before the race in Hungary as many of us on here said. The team are making the WDC needlessly complicated by letting the drivers race on lap 1.

Darth-Piekus

Considering Max will struggle in other races from now on and Mclaren will keep bringing upgrades to increase the speed distance Lando has to take priority. Oscar had his chances all year. If he was close to Lando let's say 5 points then it would have been a different case. Oscar however is 109 points behind Max and Lando is 62 points behind Max. He must get preference if we want the double.