2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:23
Literally Mediocre display lol i wouldn't even waste my breath as that race was a whole load of nothing. Russell was surprised by oscars early braking and effectively thats what messed up his race. Lewis maximised the package, i found his comment about the mclarens pace interesting. Overall the car isn't all that great atm i not sure what to expect from Baku and Singapore.
i'm hoping they go back to the old spec before spa, i could be completely wrong but it just seemed like a better car

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
Literally Mediocre display lol i wouldn't even waste my breath as that race was a whole load of nothing. Russell was surprised by oscars early braking and effectively thats what messed up his race. Lewis maximised the package, i found his comment about the mclarens pace interesting. Overall the car isn't all that great atm i not sure what to expect from Baku and Singapore.
What did he say about Mclaren's pace?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:14
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
I saw it. He basically said the Mclaren drivers pushed too hard and killed their tires. I also reached this conclusion earlier in the Ferrari thread:
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:32
It wasn't actually Mclaren's fault. Norris blew the first lap and then Piastri and Norris destroyed their tires trying to outpace each other. Leclerc sat behind and managed his tires until the end.
This is also part of how Hamilton won in Silverstone.

rijtuig
rijtuig

Isn’t that part of racing, or any other type of sports?

You win because the others fail to succeed.

SKYnRacing24

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:16
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:14
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
I saw it. He basically said the Mclaren drivers pushed too hard and killed their tires. I also reached this conclusion earlier in the Ferrari thread:
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:32
It wasn't actually Mclaren's fault. Norris blew the first lap and then Piastri and Norris destroyed their tires trying to outpace each other. Leclerc sat behind and managed his tires until the end.
This is also part of how Hamilton won in Silverstone.
Indeed. Race management at the front is quite a new thing for the Mclaren boys. Max and Lewis have aced this in the past (Actually i would recently in Spa Lewis was doing just that) Its quite critical actually. The fact elite drivers make it effortless is partly why they win races so easily. Not to say the pitwall doesn't have any input in this but i would of thought it would be one of the most important factors to get right during a grandprix weekend with all the data they have.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Formula 1 fan 1996
Formula 1 fan 1996

Will Mercedes bring upgrades for race in Azerbaijan?

Luscion
Luscion

Formula 1 fan 1996 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:56
theres been no talk from Merc or any rumors of them bringing upgrades since the summer break, will probably have to wait till the debrief video on wednesday to see if they mention anything about it. Will say though they should probably get rid of that new floor.

Formula 1 fan 1996
Formula 1 fan 1996

Luscion wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:58
theres been no talk from Merc or any rumors of them bringing upgrades since the summer break, will probably have to wait till the debrief video on wednesday to see if they mention anything about it. Will say though they should probably get rid of that new floor.
Okay, thank you for information.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Luscion wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:58
Hamilton mentioned another upgrade in that interview that was posted in this thread

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Russell got too aggressive at the start. He got kicked to the back of the lead cars, had a wing change(10 seconds) and a 4 second pit stop. And still finished less than 2 seconds behind Max.

SKYnRacing24

“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Paa

Sevach wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:47
Luscion wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:42
j_ste wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:40
Damn…really thought we would have better pace than that.

New floor?
It could be, Merc seemingly hasnt had the really good tire wear they usually have since bolting the new floor on in the last two races, but also both Mclaren and Ferrari have brought performance upgrades since spa
It looks like a step sideways at best and backwards more likely.
The car looks worst compared to Silverstone, Spa, Hungary.
It is difficult to asses confidently as both McLaren and Ferrari have brought major upgrade package since summer break. Merc still seemed clearly in front of Red Bull in Monza.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Paa wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:23
Sevach wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:47
Luscion wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:42

It could be, Merc seemingly hasnt had the really good tire wear they usually have since bolting the new floor on in the last two races, but also both Mclaren and Ferrari have brought performance upgrades since spa
It looks like a step sideways at best and backwards more likely.
The car looks worst compared to Silverstone, Spa, Hungary.
It is difficult to asses confidently as both McLaren and Ferrari have brought major upgrade package since summer break. Merc still seemed clearly in front of Red Bull in Monza.
Merc's new floor that they only raced starting at the Dutch GP was supposed to be a "step", just like the upgrades of Mclaren and Ferrari in the last 2 races. So upgrade for upgrade, Mercedes has definetly lost out. Once again, they can see the downforce increase, but everyone seems dissapointed by the laptime improvement. Normally when you invest in a new floor, you should get a decent step.

Paa

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:58
Merc's new floor that they only raced starting at the Dutch GP was supposed to be a "step", just like the upgrades of Mclaren and Ferrari in the last 2 races. So upgrade for upgrade, Mercedes has definetly lost out. Once again, they can see the downforce increase, but everyone seems dissapointed by the laptime improvement. Normally when you invest in a new floor, you should get a decent step.
Yeah, but it still can be an improvement over their old spec. I guess they have enough data to decide, but I think for us outsiders it is at least inconclusive at the moment. I though the discussion is about whether they should revert back to old spec or not.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Paa wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 02:10
AR3-GP wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:58
Yeah, but it still can be an improvement over their old spec. I guess they have enough data to decide, but I think for us outsiders it is at least inconclusive at the moment. I though the discussion is about whether they should revert back to old spec or not.
If Red Bull is anything to learn from, the second that an upgrade disturbs the balance, you have to go back to old spec right away. This is actually what Ferrari did with good results. You can't afford to spend months pretending that nothing is wrong and papering over bad updates with more bad updates.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 02 Sep 2024, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.