2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

[quote=Dunlay post_id=1241970 time=1725247922 user_id=48326]
[quote=Hoffman900 post_id=1241969 time=1725247840 user_id=41250]
[quote=Dunlay post_id=1241968 time=1725247664 user_id=48326]
It's a team game and there was no need for the second driver to attack the driver in points lead and has the best chance to challenge and win the WDC. Common sense.
[/quote]

Clearly you’ve never raced anything.

Oscar had a run on his line. He slams on the brakes and he gets mugged by everyone behind him. All he did was release the brake and roll into a hole Lando gave him. Lando could have just as easily put his car down the middle of the track and prevented this from the get go and he didn’t.
[/quote]I don't need to race anything to have some sense of managing teams and it's core objectives. Regardless of what Lando did or Oscar did, team should have simply prioritized Lando's position who has the best chance to win the WDC given how weak Red Bull has got. Bigger team objectives are important than petty driver ambition.
[/quote]

You can’t priotize a position if the driver isn’t up to the task of defending himself.

That’s motorsports and sports in general. Nothing is handed to you. It’s the whole GR “but I was forecasted to win” attitude.
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 02 Sep 2024, 05:37, edited 2 times in total.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Hoffman900 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 05:34
Dunlay wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 05:32
Hoffman900 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 05:30

Oscar had a run on his line. He slams on the brakes and he gets mugged by everyone behind him. All he did was release the brake and roll into a hole Lando gave him. Lando could have just as easily put his car down the middle of the track and prevented this from the get go and he didn’t.
I don't need to race anything to have some sense of managing teams and it's core objectives. Regardless of what Lando did or Oscar did, team should have simply prioritized Lando's position who has the best chance to win the WDC given how weak Red Bull has got. Bigger team objectives are important than petty driver ambition.
You can’t priotize a position if the driver isn’t up to the task of defending himself.

That’s motorsports and sports in general. Nothing is handed to you. It’s the whole GR “but I was forecasted to win” attitude.
History is full of examples of how to prioritize team's objective and do things that are important, regardless of a driver is defending his position or not. Losing a WDC is a matter of shame with such stupid decisions. Remember James Vowel's, "Valtteri this is James here". That's how you make tough decisions.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Dunlay wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 05:36
Hoffman900 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
I don't need to race anything to have some sense of managing teams and it's core objectives. Regardless of what Lando did or Oscar did, team should have simply prioritized Lando's position who has the best chance to win the WDC given how weak Red Bull has got. Bigger team objectives are important than petty driver ambition.

History is full of examples of how to prioritize team's objective and do things that are important, regardless of a driver is defending his position or not. Losing a WDC is a matter of shame with such stupid decisions. Remember James Vowel's, "Valtteri this is James here". That's how you make tough decisions.
Lando would be within 17 if they completely priotized him. That’s 45 points or 73% of his total gap to Max. That’s not championship driving when your team needs to spoon feed you 73% of your points gap.

They do that, they absolutely lose Oscar on the next contract, who imo, has a much higher ceiling than Lando.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Hoffman900 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 05:39
Dunlay wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:

Lando would be within 17 if they completely priotized him. That’s 45 points of 73% of his total gap to Max. That’s not championship driving when your team needs to spoon feed you 73% of your points gap.

They do that, they absolutely lose Oscar on the next contract, who imo, has a much higher ceiling than Lando.
It's not even championship driving if he is driving a back marker car. It's the team that has to provide equipment and strategy. It'a "Team Sport". That's the point.

Feelings are not facts. So far, Lando's overall performance has been better than Oscar's, who barely has a couple of decent races. I don't know if there is a science that measures people's talent and ceilings.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Hoffman900 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 05:30

Yes. it is like Max driving McLaren. Norris is a good guy and till now he is respecting his team member. I don't think he will now onwards.

due to PA unnecessary overtake on Norris, the consequence or Karma is, lost his P1.

it is time for Norris to destroy his team member.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Take out the safety car and the unnecessary drama and Oscar has two wins this year to Lando’s one.

No team is going to prioritize a driver with those stats. Especially when drivers like Carlos Sainz are twice as likely to convert poles to wins. That’s not A tier driving.

Norris isn’t going to destroy Oscar and if anything Oscar is already in his head.

damo46
damo46

I agree, Oscar is in his head and this will destroy Lando. His is fast, but not WDC material, too many mistakes this year. A WDC wouldn't give his teammate the opportunity that Lando gave in turn 4.

BMMR61

Dunlay wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 05:41
Hoffman900 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
Lando would be within 17 if they completely priotized him. That’s 45 points of 73% of his total gap to Max. That’s not championship driving when your team needs to spoon feed you 73% of your points gap.

It's not even championship driving if he is driving a back marker car. It's the team that has to provide equipment and strategy. It'a "Team Sport". That's the point.

Feelings are not facts. So far, Lando's overall performance has been better than Oscar's, who barely has a couple of decent races. I don't know if there is a science that measures people's talent and ceilings.
I don't know if it's bias or stubborn adherence to first impulses. You've argued "if" so many times. How about "IF" the team didn't ruin Oscar's British GP and other missteps? IF the American amateur driver hadn't lost it (again) at Miami while Oscar was leading? The Hungary strategy error of undercutting Oscar (for no sound reason in spite of their claims) led to the switcheroo which inflamed the British media. Every time Oscar beats Lando it's either buried or excuses are made. Do I favour Oscar over Lando? No, I want Lando to win, deservedly, not because his team-mate is relegated to Checo status - because Oscar's too good a driver to end up leaving McLaren for RedBull and that's what could happen. When the championship title comes down to the last few rounds then some strategy may be wise, let them race, F1 isn't road cycling, thank goodness.

BMMR61

Hoffman900 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 05:45
Take out the safety car and the unnecessary drama and Oscar has two wins this year to Lando’s one.

No team is going to prioritize a driver with those stats. Especially when drivers like Carlos Sainz are twice as likely to convert poles to wins. That’s not A tier driving.

Norris isn’t going to destroy Oscar and if anything Oscar is already in his head.
The mental game is already leaning heavily towards the rookie. He's the least experienced F1 driver on the grid (bar Colopinto) yet has the fortitude to not allow anything get into his head, I expected Lando would have had some better management on his side long ago. It's hard not to like the guy and he is mostly blazingly fast, it's the thinking that's a little scrambled still.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Reading all the quotes from the team, I think Oscar will be asked to support Lando from now on and not force his way past in an unnecessary and risky move that nearly resulted in a collision.

I like Oscar, but he threw away a McLaren 1-2 yesterday. That is not maturity or level headed thinking, that is not playing the team game. That is putting himself above the team and I don't think Stella will have minced his words behind closed doors.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

damo46
damo46

PapayaFan481 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 06:47
Reading all the quotes from the team, I think Oscar will be asked to support Lando from now on and not force his way past in an unnecessary and risky move that nearly resulted in a collision.

I like Oscar, but he threw away a McLaren 1-2 yesterday. That is not maturity or level headed thinking, that is not playing the team game. That is putting himself above the team and I don't think Stella will have minced his words behind closed doors.
What a load of crap to blame Oscar for McLaren losing. It was Ferrari that won that on strategy, Oscar didn't lose it. And Lando lost the lead due to leaving the door open to his team mate, who as everyone knows is also your competitor. He should have defended until he had gap. Lando once again made too many mistakes this race. That's why he won't win the WDC.

Thank god this isn't Ferrari or Redbull where the second car can't race for the lead.

Oscar for 2025 WDC

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Hoffman900 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:

Lando would be within 17 if they completely priotized him. That’s 45 points or 73% of his total gap to Max. That’s not championship driving when your team needs to spoon feed you 73% of your points gap.

They'd gladly lose Piastri for a guaranteed title. It doesn't matter if Piastri has a higher ceiling. You take the title if its possible. Period. Piastri was spoon fed his win. It wasn't even a legit win in my books.

Mercedes and Red Bull and even Aston have 8 more races to figure out their cars for 2025. There is zero guarantees that McLaren are going to be the fastest car in 2025. And if the last regs change is anything to go by, McLaren isn't going to be in a title fight in 2026. So all they had was this year. And they are blowing it. Because they haven't put the lower points driver in his place. Who is Oscar Piastri.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

damo46 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 07:04
PapayaFan481 wrote:

What a load of crap to blame Oscar for McLaren losing. It was Ferrari that won that on strategy, Oscar didn't lose it. And Lando lost the lead due to leaving the door open to his team mate, who as everyone knows is also your competitor. He should have defended until he had gap. Lando once again made too many mistakes this race. That's why he won't win the WDC.

Thank god this isn't Ferrari or Redbull where the second car can't race for the lead.

Oscar for 2025 WDC
If Piastri made a clean overtake where there was no risk of Norris spinning and Norris doesn't lose a position to Leclerc then you may have a point but the situation here is clear.

Overtake on Norris lost him two positions and at the end, Leclerc won by just 2 seconds. That overtake lost them the victory.

I think that the team did not think WDC is realistic but seeing how Verstappen fell off today is a wakeup call for them. They should be more strategic in next races, no teammate risk and smart strategy calls (unlike here).

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

damo46 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 07:04
PapayaFan481 wrote:

Piastri bottled this race too. He didn't win it. He burned his tires instead of managing them and then had to pit while Lerclerc cruised to victory. And he burned his tires off because he was racing his teammate.

As long as McLaren is a team fighting itself, neither one of them is going to win the WDC.

BMMR61

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 07:21
Hoffman900 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:

They'd gladly lose Piastri for a guaranteed title. It doesn't matter if Piastri has a higher ceiling. You take the title if its possible. Period. Piastri was spoon fed his win. It wasn't even a legit win in my books.

Mercedes and Red Bull and even Aston have 8 more races to figure out their cars for 2025. There is zero guarantees that McLaren are going to be the fastest car in 2025. And if the last regs change is anything to go by, McLaren isn't going to be in a title fight in 2026. So all they had was this year. And they are blowing it. Because they haven't put the lower points driver in his place. Who is Oscar Piastri.
By the same token Hakkinen's first win wasn't legit, even less in fact. Went on to win McLaren 2 X WDCs. The myopia of the Hungarian tactical error (the real one which had to be corrected) is incredible among the Brit media.
Last edited by BMMR61 on 02 Sep 2024, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.