2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

venkyhere wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 07:59
I patiently read through 10 or so pages in this thread, and the recurring theme is centered around :

- PIA screwed NOR in the first lap, and destroyed McLaren chances of 1-2 finish.
- NOR is so poor with converting pole to P1 in first lap, he needs to sort his opening lap shambles
- McLaren aren't imposing team orders when they should (whether it be for 1st lap or whether swapping them at the end)

This theme is missing the forest for the trees, IMHO. Please hear me out :

- McLaren driver-vs-pitwall judgement call was poor when they pitted from M too early, there was no need to, they could've easily extended their first stint for 5 more laps, even if they lost 0.2/0.3 per lap to people undercutting them. Such was the race pace advantage, on any tyre. That could have easily brought to the fore a clear 1 stop strategy.

- given that McLaren went for the conservative 'lets cover for the undercut by pitting from M to H' , they didn't ask their drivers to restrain their pace on the 2nd stint with the fresh H, even a bit, to bring in the tyres gently. That would have allowed the possibility of a 1 stop even more. They just went, 'everyone is on two stop, let's do so too' and allowed the tyres to burn up needlessly. This responsibility has to be split between the pitwall and the drivers.

In other words, McLaren as a team suffer from :
- defensive minded, conservative approach, not ready to roll the dice, even when they have the strongest car.
- PIA makes up for the talent gap with his teammate, with 'pluck'. He is that do-or-die racer, just like RUS is to the more talented HAM.
- NOR has loads of talent, but isn't ruthless enough. He needs to be able to have the mental capacity to 'disobey' sometimes. That needs to be there, to become WDC - Schumacher, Vettel, Hamilton, Verstappen - so many examples from the modern era itself.

The McLaren team in 2024 have a car like the 2023 Redbull, but are strategising/man-managing like the 2022 Ferrari.

It's unbelievable that Verstappen is still having a 62 point lead with 8 races to go, with a car that was faster for 4 races, DNF-ed in one race, and has been 0.5s/lap (or more, in some races) slower than the McLaren for the remaining 11 races until now. It's staggering. That is the big picture.
I'd say this is a pretty good summary on all accounts, except the car has been faster for more than 4 races. Also worth noting that the reason Piastri got a run on Lando was because Lando made a mistake in T2 and the rear slid around, putting Piastri closer than he should have been.
Last edited by mwillems on 02 Sep 2024, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

damo46
damo46

People here seem to be focused solely on the WDC and forget that McLaren are a constructor and are focused on the WCC first. With 8 races to go and a faster car this is looking good.

geogate
geogate

If McLaren are making a mistake, it is by giving the driver too much say in strategy during the race - but then it is the drivers butt that is a couple of inches above the asphalt at 200mph

Ben1980
Ben1980

damo46 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 10:22
People here seem to be focused solely on the WDC and forget that McLaren are a constructor and are focused on the WCC first. With 8 races to go and a faster car this is looking good.
The focus should be on both, issue being that if they had held firm from the start they would have probably had a 1 and 2, and taken points away from Ferrari. They lost points to them in the end, and an upgraded Ferrari will challenge at all races.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 10:28
damo46 wrote:
The focus should be on both, issue being that if they had held firm from the start they would have probably had a 1 and 2, and taken points away from Ferrari. They lost points to them in the end, and an upgraded Ferrari will challenge at all races.
We do not know that it will challenge at all races. It's Monza, a track where Ferrari always aim to do well.

I'm surprised they didn't place a rule based on whomever get's to T1 first, but they didn't, and so one driver did his job better than the other. I think it is Ferrari that surprised Mclaren more than the gap to Verstappen. They may have got complacent there.

If Lando wins the WDC this year, he will be one of the weakest world champions in the sport.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

why would they do that? the only time that has happened to my knowledge was with DC and MH, and that was only because the car was so unreliable, and had been pre agreed between the drivers

to add,
Pretty sure I remember the last race 2007, it was Alonso that got on the radio and asked if they wanted him to let Hamilton through - they said no, as it didn't matter anyways - I remember him asking them during the race at any rate

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 10:32
Ben1980 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 10:28
damo46 wrote:
We do not know that it will challenge at all races. It's Monza, a track where Ferrari always aim to do well.

I'm surprised they didn't place a rule based on whomever get's to T1 first, but they didn't, and so one driver did his job better than the other. I think it is Ferrari that surprised Mclaren more than the gap to Verstappen. They may have got complacent there.

If Lando wins the WDC this year, he will be one of the weakest world champions in the sport.
If Lando is weak, then Oscar, who loses to him, is generally incompetent.

SiLo

Mclaren need to stop reacting to other teams so desperately. Piastri had a good gap to Leclerc, so could easily have stayed out, and still had gap to Norris so was never under threat of losing 1st. Pitting him just made zero sense.

Norris also needs to sort his first laps out, I don't know what he is doing at the moment but its not working.
Felipe Baby!

geogate
geogate

lol, then everyone would be complaining cos they left them out too long, like they were a few weeks ago

bluechris

SiLo wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 10:52
Mclaren need to stop reacting to other teams so desperately. Piastri had a good gap to Leclerc, so could easily have stayed out, and still had gap to Norris so was never under threat of losing 1st. Pitting him just made zero sense.

Norris also needs to sort his first laps out, I don't know what he is doing at the moment but its not working.
His smile in the pre ceremony interview to me is saying that we will see a different Norris from now on. Im not speaking for better driving but more ruthless driving if MCLaren doesnt sit down and think.

bananapeel23

SiLo wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 10:52

I think it’s mental. He needs a lucky start where he gets out ahead to break his mental block and restore his confidence.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Better to be the weakest world champion than the best non world champion.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I think Norris expects others to give him respect and he is not going to force the issue. Verstappen clearly went over the limit in Austria and looks like he pulled back in next races (so they stay friends). Still I am sure Norris is aware it may come back and will fight him hard.

Piastri attacking in Lap 1, risking it all is also probably over the limit. I am sure Norris will take it into mind and next time we are in a situation like this he will not leave room for two to go through the chicane. When that happens I hope everyone who is praising Piastri here will be ready to accept the results (could be crash for both of them).

I hope it doesn't happen, I hope the team gives them clear rules not to endanger their races and especially not to endanger potential championships. If it means "a racer can't race" then so be it.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

damo46 wrote:
If Piastri doesn't nearly take both cars out at the 4th corner on the 1st lap (experienced F1 drivers on commentary described it as a lunge) then he and Lando can control their pace at the front protect their tyres and manage a 1 stop, or even a 2 stop but without stopping as early as they did.

The team then gets a 1-2 instead of a 2-3 and closes the gap to RBR even more.

That is what is frustrating. Oscar seemed to put himself above the team.

One day Oscar might need Lando to support his title challenge and I think he is burning that bridge this year.

We have potentially the strongest driver lineup on the grid, but I don't see it lasting. Max will leave RBR if their current trend continues and I think either Lando or Oscar goes there if this continues.

Hopefully harmony can be restored.

Otherwise hopefully Oscar goes, for no other reason than we can then reunite Carlando 😂
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

F1NAC

PapayaFan481 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 12:19
damo46 wrote:
If Piastri doesn't nearly take both cars out at the 4th corner on the 1st lap (experienced F1 drivers on commentary described it as a lunge) then he and Lando can control their pace at the front protect their tyres and manage a 1 stop, or even a 2 stop but without stopping as early as they did.

The team then gets a 1-2 instead of a 2-3 and closes the gap to RBR even more.

That is what is frustrating. Oscar seemed to put himself above the team.

One day Oscar might need Lando to support his title challenge and I think he is burning that bridge this year.

We have potentially the strongest driver lineup on the grid, but I don't see it lasting. Max will leave RBR if their current trend continues and I think either Lando or Oscar goes there if this continues.

Hopefully harmony can be restored.

Otherwise hopefully Oscar goes, for no other reason than we can then reunite Carlando 😂
I don't know if we watched the same race, but what makes you think that Lando would be able to do 1 stop? I mean he was in front of LEC in 2nd stint and still ate his fronts? He didn't had enough speed to charge into distance with PIA and LEC behind.