2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

peewon wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 12:09
KimiRai wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 03:14
Alonso's gap to Magnussen dropped from 5.5s to 4.0 between lap 34 & 36 before he stopped. Doubt tyres would have lasted.

Anyways it just shows the car is terrible. Newey or not, they need to do a better job with the resources they currently have, excuses have run out
Alonso pitted lap 35. Would have to check if there were any mitigating factors but Magnussen would have had to pass and open up a 10 sec gap to get the position. He was only faster by 3-4 tenths on average and he clearly upped his pace on lap 26, maybe realizing tyre wear isnt bad. Alonso was just outside the 10 sec gap with 2-3 laps to go but couldnt close any further. Last 3 laps, Magnussen was quicker by a tenth or so on tyres that 21 laps older. Either they are now complete level below HAAS or tyre wear wasnt as bad as some teams anticipated.
I suspect that is true. There is plenty of evidence to show that is the case. On the other hand it's 2 point... It was a lot more fun to have a two stop race, try to catch them rather than just sitting hoping the tires last and to not be over taken...
Last edited by diffuser on 02 Sep 2024, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

xReVo
xReVo

Nikosar wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 10:04
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 09:52
Rikrikrik wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 03:02
Alonso said they needed stop twice because Aston "eat the tyres" they never would stop 1 and still have that pace. The monza pace is more interesting comparing to Zandvoort where they didnt have pace and monza is not fit for this car, but, the only hope is the new upgrades in next race or singapore ( i think) those pieces NEEDS improve the car, doesnt matter how better car will be, but NEED WORKS as expected, or all things will be lost for 2025.
All updated or upgrades was working what they crafted down, in the simulation and wind tunnel otherwise they didn't craft it down. Simple as it is! If we compare the amr23 or even the last year car Redbull to the amr24 then the 24 car is much faster. They upgrade rate or efficiency is low.
I remember when Allision quoted saying, "How could we be so dumb?!" SO IMHO: even though every car is different, this ground effect era has a hidden way of working, and if the team doesn't have a full understanding of where exactly down force should be added to the car and gain performance from it, the result will always be the same: you add one thing and lose another or you think you gained some but the car becomes undriveable.

Is understood that Red Bull found it first, then Rob Marshall went to Mclaren and gifted it to them. Allison seems to have found it as well. Maybe Newey can share it with Fallows :D
Look how Redbull has deteriorated without Newey, also consider that Cardile arrived from Ferrari and I wouldn't mind if Aston was at Ferrari's level.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

xReVo wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 16:07
Nikosar wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 10:04
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 09:52

All updated or upgrades was working what they crafted down, in the simulation and wind tunnel otherwise they didn't craft it down. Simple as it is! If we compare the amr23 or even the last year car Redbull to the amr24 then the 24 car is much faster. They upgrade rate or efficiency is low.
I remember when Allision quoted saying, "How could we be so dumb?!" SO IMHO: even though every car is different, this ground effect era has a hidden way of working, and if the team doesn't have a full understanding of where exactly down force should be added to the car and gain performance from it, the result will always be the same: you add one thing and lose another or you think you gained some but the car becomes undriveable.

Is understood that Red Bull found it first, then Rob Marshall went to Mclaren and gifted it to them. Allison seems to have found it as well. Maybe Newey can share it with Fallows :D
Look how Redbull has deteriorated without Newey, also consider that Cardile arrived from Ferrari and I wouldn't mind if Aston was at Ferrari's level.
If Newey Joins the AMR. I hope he will... and Alonso win WDC for next 10 years. :D :D :D :D :D

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

https://www.larazon.es/deportes/contund ... 6641a.html
Alonso said nothing different should happen in Baku, Singapore and Austin, is that means the last upgrades maybe come just in Mexico, unfortunetly. I hope so those upgrades finally can show some real progress in the right path.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

there is a gap of 4 weeks between races after Singapore. So they can spend some time to give proper upgrade.

they also did tyre testing before summer break with 2024 car... so they may be found something to fix it hence they are taking time... Hope it could be a good upgrade....Like how McLaren did it last year. if they do so, then we have a very good season for 2025....

peewon

diffuser wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 14:11
peewon wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 12:09
KimiRai wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 03:14
Alonso's gap to Magnussen dropped from 5.5s to 4.0 between lap 34 & 36 before he stopped. Doubt tyres would have lasted.

Anyways it just shows the car is terrible. Newey or not, they need to do a better job with the resources they currently have, excuses have run out
Alonso pitted lap 35. Would have to check if there were any mitigating factors but Magnussen would have had to pass and open up a 10 sec gap to get the position. He was only faster by 3-4 tenths on average and he clearly upped his pace on lap 26, maybe realizing tyre wear isnt bad. Alonso was just outside the 10 sec gap with 2-3 laps to go but couldnt close any further. Last 3 laps, Magnussen was quicker by a tenth or so on tyres that 21 laps older. Either they are now complete level below HAAS or tyre wear wasnt as bad as some teams anticipated.
I suspect that is true. There is plenty of evidence to show that is the case. On the other hand it's 2 point... It was a lot more fun to have a two stop race, try to catch them rather than just sitting hoping the tires last and to not be over taken...
It was more fun to watch. But equally frustrating when he couldn't close the gap in the last 3 laps on tyres 20 laps newer.

So either their tyre deg is way worse than HAAS and Williams and which is highly concerning on the aero side. Or they made a strategy error.

peewon

Rikrikrik wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 02:10
https://www.larazon.es/deportes/contund ... 6641a.html
Alonso said nothing different should happen in Baku, Singapore and Austin, is that means the last upgrades maybe come just in Mexico, unfortunetly. I hope so those upgrades finally can show some real progress in the right path.
I think it's highly unusual to bring updates so late in the season unless your fighting for something. I think this might be it for development this season. Maybe allow the fresh minds to be involved before heading into a new direction.

xReVo
xReVo

Any team that signs Newey can already challenge for the World Championship in 2025, mark that down.

collindsilva
collindsilva

Considering no news on possible updates, maybe the team is waiting for AN arrival to influence (even minimal).

peewon

xReVo wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 12:39
Any team that signs Newey can already challenge for the World Championship in 2025, mark that down.
IF he joins....I fully expect RB to put in some gardening leave clauses. 2025 development is probably already underway so it might be too late to have a championship winning car. Race winning car by the end of next year is more realistic even though still unlikely. This all contingent to the fact that Newey actually joins. I will not be taking anything for granted with this team.

Venturiation
Venturiation

peewon wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 14:41
xReVo wrote:
IF he joins....I fully expect RB to put in some gardening leave clauses. 2025 development is probably already underway so it might be too late to have a championship winning car. Race winning car by the end of next year is more realistic even though still unlikely. This all contingent to the fact that Newey actually joins. I will not be taking anything for granted with this team.
They can't do that
Tye conditions are signed already

KimiRai
KimiRai

KimiRai wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 14:49
Newey to sign with Aston Martin next week according to the Daily Mail. He would be free from September 6th but it is expected that the announcement arrives during the Azerbaijan GP week

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formu ... rrari.html

SSJ4
SSJ4

I still don’t get how out front wing last year got outlawed. But mercs and mclarens hadn’t. They flex and deform more than what astons did last year

Nikosar
Nikosar

xReVo wrote:
Aston focus is 2026. James Vowles want his Williams' 2026 car as soon as possible in the wind tunnel so I'm afraid also Aston for 2025 will sacrifice the resources (in terms of staff involved) for 2026, and let the other 4 fight in 2025.

Alonso himself said that the target is 2026 and even if Newey signs now he won't fix anything in the immediate future.

Emag
Emag

SSJ4 wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 14:51
I still don’t get how out front wing last year got outlawed. But mercs and mclarens hadn’t. They flex and deform more than what astons did last year
Wording from the FIA regarding the ruling :
In a still valid technical directive (TD34) from the FIA, it has emphasised that there are certain behaviours that will not be tolerated even if wings are passed as legal in the pits.

In the note, the FIA says that it does not consider legal “designs whose structural characteristics are altered by secondary parameters, so as to produce (whilst running at the track) a different deflection characteristic than when stationary during the FIA checks. Examples of secondary parameters could be temperature, aerodynamic load etc.”
Supposedly, this is where Aston's wing failed the requirement. The wing produced different results while on-track compared to when tested by the FIA because its deflection characteristics were altered by "secondary parameters".

What those "secondary parameters" would be in the case of Aston is not something we know as it wasn't disclosed in detail.

Nevertheless, Aston's problems run deeper than just a denied flexing front wing. At most, the front wing fiasco is maybe giving McLaren the last tenth or two to consistently be in the fight for wins. It's not the only thing that accounts for the entirety of their current performance level. You can go back and check onboards from McLaren's car in Bahrain testing 2023 and their front wing was bending quite significantly even then, yet the early-spec MCL60 was probably the 8th-9th fastest car on the grid.