2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

f1316 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 23:51
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 22:48
f1316 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:07
I don’t think Oscar could have done a 1 stop - he was starting to struggle more than Charles before his second stop and we’ve seen Charles do these ultra consistent long stints multiple times this year. This is his and the car’s real strength - it’s not always what is needed, especially when they qualify too far back and can’t make use of it, but it worked a treat here.
The Mclaren's could have 1 stopped. They just overcooked their tires with poor stint management. Hamilton said as much.
He did but I think he’s wrong and I think Lewis (and Oscar) will see that when they look at the data.
FYI: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-mc ... /10650729/

Note:
According to Andrea Stella, it is at this stage that Ferrari confirmed that they have a very fast car. “Charles remained very close to Oscar despite being in dirty air,” confirmed the team principal, “and this tells us that he was actually faster.”

dialtone
dialtone

f1316 wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 02:11

Note:
According to Andrea Stella, it is at this stage that Ferrari confirmed that they have a very fast car. “Charles remained very close to Oscar despite being in dirty air,” confirmed the team principal, “and this tells us that he was actually faster.”
I agree actually. I've done some more reading and listening.

Leclerc was told to do the opposite that Piastri was going to do. This tells us a couple of things:

1) The 1.23 constant pace was on purpose to create optionality down the line.
2) That pace wasn't strictly speaking a 1 stop pace as they weren't sure what was going to happen. They kept the car close to the top but without ruining the tires.
3) MCL simply didn't think a 1 stopper was possible. Lando after 18 laps on the hards was dropping like a rock against a Leclerc that was at that point managing the tires at 1.23 pace. All in all, people in these teams are not dumb so if they thought 1 stop was a thing they would have managed more, but if you can't pull it off then you push to create the offset, and despite that they couldn't create the needed offset.

Post everything I actually think this result was somewhat inevitable, Ferrari driven by Leclerc was simply the better car-driver combo, certainly helped by being 2nd at the start, but they were the better race package overall.

Watto
Watto

dialtone wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 03:30
f1316 wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 02:11

Note:
I agree actually. I've done some more reading and listening.

Leclerc was told to do the opposite that Piastri was going to do. This tells us a couple of things:

1) The 1.23 constant pace was on purpose to create optionality down the line.
2) That pace wasn't strictly speaking a 1 stop pace as they weren't sure what was going to happen. They kept the car close to the top but without ruining the tires.
3) MCL simply didn't think a 1 stopper was possible. Lando after 18 laps on the hards was dropping like a rock against a Leclerc that was at that point managing the tires at 1.23 pace. All in all, people in these teams are not dumb so if they thought 1 stop was a thing they would have managed more, but if you can't pull it off then you push to create the offset, and despite that they couldn't create the needed offset.

Post everything I actually think this result was somewhat inevitable, Ferrari driven by Leclerc was simply the better car-driver combo, certainly helped by being 2nd at the start, but they were the better race package overall.
Makes a lot of sense too, Lando seemed to be pushing hard to chase down Oscar, Oscar was doing plenty of fastest laps. Charles seemed to just wait keep the tyres alive.

Lewis I think said something simular, McLaren could have one stopped but killed their tyres.

As much as some think the Oscar/Lando first lap issue, the both of them kept racing one another after the first stop when they were 1-2. Charles was able to keep close enough after the undercut to pressure them into racing but kept off the pace enough to keep his tyres alive - I don't think its too much a stretch to think even if Lando and Oscar wer 1-2 after lap 1, Charles had the pace to keep close and do the same thing.

deadhead

KimiRai wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 21:24
Thank you for appreciating the level of both drivers :) All things considered Sainz has been a great teammate to Leclerc
Too good to be a 2nd driver and not good enough to be team leader

Vanja #66

KimiRai wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 21:24
Thank you for appreciating the level of both drivers :) All things considered Sainz has been a great teammate to Leclerc
Credit when it's due. Appart from the silly T1 dive in Spain (China Sprint tussle was paid back in Race) he was a team player and looks like he wants to finish his tenure on a high. He didn't waste points in any race, unlike last two seasons, and really stepped up his game. This will be by far his best season in Ferrari and career so far. Vasseur played his part with Sainz too, everyone in the team stepped up and it shows.

dialtone wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 03:30
Winning this cleanly, they were definitely the best package on Sunday, nothing was circumstantial about it. I don't think there was any reason why McLaren couldn't have dialed down in corners and extended, other than danger of being an easy pray on straights. At times, they were 10+ kmh quicker in Lesmo 2, Ascari and Parabolica in first stint on Hards. However, this kept them safe from Leclerc on straights and it's not like they gave themselves much choice, they were attacking in corners to build up a gap and prevent any attack
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dia6olo
dia6olo

Regarding the flexi front wings and assuming it is playing a big part in the gains McLaren & Mercedes have made, I personally hope it simply gets banned for 2025.
I think that while everyone will have them for 2025 assuming it doesn't get banned, Ferrari are in the mix at the front even without it, not banning them will likely result in others making a jump, Ferrari included.
However, banning them I think will result in an even bigger gain for Ferrari because it likely causes a much bigger problem to the likes of McLaren and Mercedes as they would have to rethink their designs...

f1316
f1316

Honestly I can understand this (even if I’m disappointed): https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... /10651118/

I guess Serra is the five letter name? It popped into my head that they might also bring back Simone Resta in some capacity, having lost Cardile. This has certainly shown me that a lot of people have 5 letter surnames!

scuderiabrandon

dia6olo wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 14:26
Regarding the flexi front wings and assuming it is playing a big part in the gains McLaren & Mercedes have made, I personally hope it simply gets banned for 2025.
I think that while everyone will have them for 2025 assuming it doesn't get banned, Ferrari are in the mix at the front even without it, not banning them will likely result in others making a jump, Ferrari included.
However, banning them I think will result in an even bigger gain for Ferrari because it likely causes a much bigger problem to the likes of McLaren and Mercedes as they would have to rethink their designs...
You can't ban flexi-wings. Things flex, nothing's is perfectly rigid. They'd need to make the load test more stringent, or just allow it to happen.

But the FIA's response was disgraceful. Saying they don't have short term plans to better police it UNLESS irregularities are found. WTF does that mean? What happens when other teams bring new wings that flex even more, still passes the load tests? Then you outlaw it after they adopt it? This is basically saying; “well if you are already doing it, it's all good, if more teams start doing it and inevitably start exploiting it a bit more than we'll issue TD's to stop it”.

Change the load tests or just let teams do it and call it a day.

dia6olo
dia6olo

scuderiabrandon wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 17:54
dia6olo wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 14:26
You can't ban flexi-wings. Things flex, nothing's is perfectly rigid. They'd need to make the load test more stringent, or just allow it to happen.

But the FIA's response was disgraceful. Saying they don't have short term plans to better police it UNLESS irregularities are found. WTF does that mean? What happens when other teams bring new wings that flex even more, still passes the load tests? Then you outlaw it after they adopt it? This is basically saying; “well if you are already doing it, it's all good, if more teams start doing it and inevitably start exploiting it a bit more than we'll issue TD's to stop it”.

Change the scrutinizing, or just let teams do it and call it a day.
Yes I know they flex but you know what I meant...

Regarding the FIA's response, I think those of us who have been around long enough know exactly how F1 works and the people that run it operate.

We have supposed stringent rules in F1 but the reality is that there is probably more grey than black and white in them.
I've always felt that while the people that run F1 are very quick to quote rules when it suits, they are just as quick to turn a blind eye to them/bend them when it also suits!
When it comes down to it the show carries far more weight to them than the rules, it's not the first time and it won't be the last time that they will interpret the "rules" according to how they benefit the "show"...

wowgr8
wowgr8

f1316 wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 16:13
Honestly I can understand this (even if I’m disappointed): https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... /10651118/

I guess Serra is the five letter name? It popped into my head that they might also bring back Simone Resta in some capacity, having lost Cardile. This has certainly shown me that a lot of people have 5 letter surnames!
Resta was treated like unneeded cargo in his final years at Ferrari, they even offloaded him to Haas, I definitely don't see them bringing him back

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Resta is at Mercedes.

jambuka
jambuka

So seems like there will be new updates at Singapore ?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 19:49
AR3-GP wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 19:17
Baku and Singapore are outlier tracks anyway. Ferrari would have always suited these circuits. It's medium and high speed corners which Ferrari needs to study again. COTA would be the confirmation.
It's long-arched corners where Ferrari faced problems these 2 seasons and, of the remaining 8 races, only Qatar has those in abundance. I'd argue Baku and Singapore are quite relevant for the rest of the season. If they can match and fight McLaren in both those tracks, they will be fighting for podiums everywhere else too
I don't understand what you are saying, but COTA is absolutely a test for the new update package. The old car would not have suited that circuit. The old car would have suited Baku and Singapore regardless just as it suited Monaco and just as the SF23 suited those tracks (Baku/Singapore).

If you are arguing that 90 degree corner street tracks would prepare them to battle for podiums, then they should have fought for podiums after Monaco. You know this. Let us not have a disagreement simply because of who said it.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 04 Sep 2024, 20:06, edited 3 times in total.

ScuderiaLeo

jambuka wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 19:59
So seems like there will be new updates at Singapore ?
The article (from Sky) claimed the next package is expected "from Singapore to COTA".

I'm not sure if this means at Singapore, at COTA, or they don't really know yet, but I'm going to lean towards the final option. Realistically, I don't think they'd introduce a large package for Singapore, COTA makes more sense.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 20:02
Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 19:49
It's long-arched corners where Ferrari faced problems these 2 seasons and, of the remaining 8 races, only Qatar has those in abundance. I'd argue Baku and Singapore are quite relevant for the rest of the season. If they can match and fight McLaren in both those tracks, they will be fighting for podiums everywhere else too
I don't understand what you are saying, but COTA is absolutely a test for the new update package. The old car would not have suited that circuit. The old car would have suited Baku and Singapore regardless just as it suited Monaco and just as the SF23 suited those tracks (Baku/Singapore).

If you are arguing that 90 degree corner street tracks would prepare them to battle for podiums, then they should have fought for podiums after Monaco. You know this. Stop just trying to disagree with me.
I honestly don't know what's not to understand. Of 8 remaining tracks, Ferrari had issues only in Qatar last year. Even when Baku was early on and peaky SF23A was still used, Leclerc was competitive vs Alonso. Their floor works differently to other top 4 cars and after the floor edge rule changes of last year, they struggle with long-radius corners. Only Qatar has lots of them in the final 8 races.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie