2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Quantum

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Luscion wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 14:54
Lewis saying he think he's down 2 tenths because of a new wing is him saying Merc is sabotaging him?
Was that all he said, in the video and the quote I wrote?
"Interplay of triads"

Luscion
Luscion

Quantum wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 14:58
Luscion wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 14:54
Lewis saying he think he's down 2 tenths because of a new wing is him saying Merc is sabotaging him?
Was that all he said, in the video and the quote I wrote?
Him saying he doesnt expect to beat Russell is because he's struggling with this generation of cars and tires. Like i said in my original post, no where did lewis ever say Merc were sabotaging him, people just ran with it. Here's him praising Russell before the Monaco GP ever happened saying he's just simply doing a better job than him.

https://www.racefans.net/2024/03/23/rus ... imination/

Here's Lewis shutting down that talk the week after

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... t-mercedes

Quantum

Luscion wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 15:01

Him saying he doesnt expect to beat Russell is because he's struggling with this generation of cars and tires. Like i said in my original post, no where did lewis ever say Merc were sabotaging him, people just ran with it. Here's him praising Russell before the Monaco GP ever happened saying he's just simply doing a better job than him.

There is no consistency in that.
2022 and 2023 he can beat Russell but come Monaco 2024 suddenly he's struggling with this generation of cars and tyres. That makes no sense at all.
I don't know if it's a turn-down or something, but performance comes away from my car for some reason.
I expect it now. Every time I get to qualifying, I already know that I'm going to lose a couple of tenths.
I don't anticipate being ahead of George in qualifying this year....(when asked why).... We will see.
And nowhere was his inference of not beating George in qualifying this year related to the wing in Monaco.
The rest of this year means exactly that.
And "every time I get to qualifying I lose a couple of tenths" is clearly not exclusive to Monaco either.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/lewi ... -paranoia/

The Race even listed the story as "Paranoia". Which it clearly was, because 2 or so weeks later Mercedes were calling the Police about threatening emails the team received(from crazed fans)
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/40 ... tage-email

Coincidence right?
Last edited by Quantum on 04 Sep 2024, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
"Interplay of triads"

Luscion
Luscion

Quantum wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 15:22
Luscion wrote:

There is no consistency in that.
2022 and 2023 he can beat Russell but come Monaco 2024 suddenly he's struggling with this generation of cars and tyres. That makes no sense at all.
I don't know if it's a turn-down or something, but performance comes away from my car for some reason.
I expect it now. Every time I get to qualifying, I already know that I'm going to lose a couple of tenths.
I don't anticipate being ahead of George in qualifying this year....(when asked why).... We will see.
And nowhere was his inference of not beating George in qualifying this year related to the wing in Monaco.
The rest of this year means exactly that.
And "every time I get to qualifying I lose a couple of tenths" is clearly not exclusive to Monaco either.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/lewi ... -paranoia/

The Race even listed the story as "Paranoia". Which it clearly was, because 2 or so weeks later Mercedes were calling the Police about threatening emails the team received(from crazed fans)
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/40 ... tage-email

Coincidence right?
Here's Allison explaining why Lewis struggles in quali

Here's Shovlin

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/19/ham ... e-shovlin/

Are these two senior figures at Merc just making up excuses for Lewis then?

Here's Lewis at the spanish GP saying he lost performance going into quali despite qualifying 3rd and saying the same thing months before about pushing the car that Allison did

https://www.silverarrows.net/news/hamil ... -in-quali/

Also TheRace is one of the worse articles out there, constant over sensationalized headlines, its so bad even the f1 reddit memes it

Quantum

Luscion wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 15:55

Here's Allison explaining why Lewis struggles in quali

Here's Shovlin

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/19/ham ... e-shovlin/

Are these two senior figures at Merc just making up excuses for Lewis then?

Here's Lewis at the spanish GP saying he lost performance going into quali despite qualifying 3rd and saying the same thing months before about pushing the car that Allison did

https://www.silverarrows.net/news/hamil ... -in-quali/

Also TheRace is one of the worse articles out there, constant over sensationalized headlines, its so bad even the f1 reddit memes it
This is your post.
Luscion wrote:
Him saying he doesnt expect to beat Russell is because he's struggling with this generation of cars and tires.
It remains inconsistent, regardless of his struggles this year.
2022 and 2023 is the same generation ruleset as 2024. So Shovlin is not talking about 2024 in microcosm.
It does not explain Hamilton's quote for not expecting to beat Russell in qualifying this year.

Silverarrowsnet quoting Hamilton is not a counterpoint to Hamilton saying he'll not beat Russell in qualifying this year.
They both drive the same car right?

Your video is 49 mins long, what are you quoting Allison as saying?

The Race article might not be to everyone's liking but if there inaccuracies maybe they could be pointed out?
"Interplay of triads"

hollus

Guys, agree to disagree. You’ve made your point, move on.
Rivals, not enemies.

Luscion
Luscion

Lasssept

Luscion wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 18:52
:-k
A.S: The more difficult question that we need to answer is: Is there anything subtle in the handling characteristics that this package might be doing that we haven’t anticipated?

And that’s quite difficult to assess, because the car will perform differently track-to-track, some tracks it’s been working very well. Other circuits we’ve struggled with the balance of the car regardless of the aerodynamic spec, and yes, the last two races haven’t been as good as some of the one’s that preceded it.

It may well be that’s just the normal variation from track-to-track, but that’s what we’re going to be looking at over the next few days, and on top of that there are other updates that we’re bringing into the system.

There’s quite a lot for us to consider, but we do have a lot of data now, and we can go off and use the next few days to learn what we can from that.

Rodak
Rodak

No one actually said that.. Just that driver feedback is important. if you want to keep arguing that fact, thats up to you, but like, Neway, yes Adrian Neway, say human feedback is vital. like a dude in motor racing for 40 + years says its vital, you say its not, Like i cant just brush off Neways opinion, the Man is an f1 legend on designing and building cars, his understanding of all area's of an f1 car is unequalled.

In a sport where teams chase 0.001's of a sec in performance. you think driver feedback and finding the sweet spot and setting up a car is irrelvent, and how driver feed back doesnt factor into development plans because its all irrelevent.

You should become a team principle, you would save loads of hours and funds removing all of that pointless testing, the reserve drivers and all that, like its irrelevent.. Stupid team priciples wasting all that money for all these years when it doesnt matter. bloody barmy the lot of them, you should have words with Neway too, he obviously doesnt know any thing compared to you.
Totally agree; driver feedback is critical. In the distant past I ran a small formula race shop; we crewed FF2000 and FF1600 cars for customers as well as rented FF1600. I had one driver whose car we prepped and ran at races; he just wasn't going fast; discussing what the car was doing and what we might change got nowhere. He couldn't describe what was going on and of course we didn't have telemetry to understand what the car was doing.

It got so frustrating we took the car to the track without the driver's knowledge and I took it out, as I was a retired relatively good FF1600 driver. I drove that thing 400 feet then cruised around and came into the pits. The front dampers were absolutely dead and in that short distance I could see the wheels bouncing up in the air. The driver was useless for feedback and wasted a lot of time an money. Unless you've driven a formula car I suggest you not comment on things like this as though you know, because probably you don't.

Luscion
Luscion

Lasssept wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 21:46
Luscion wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 18:52
:-k

And that’s quite difficult to assess, because the car will perform differently track-to-track, some tracks it’s been working very well. Other circuits we’ve struggled with the balance of the car regardless of the aerodynamic spec, and yes, the last two races haven’t been as good as some of the one’s that preceded it.
To me the car seemed to perform pretty well from Canada to Spa which have all been a mix of tracks and has only seemed off since after the summer break. Obviously Shov will know more than anyone but yea

Vanja #66

So is the Monaco/Canada 24 package the only package that worked as expected in these 3 seasons? Or was it better than anticipated, making it also a package that didn't work as expected?

Statements like "Is there anything in the handling characteristics that this package may be doing that we didn't anticipate", going towards the 4th season of a rule set don't sound good at all from a top team. Allison coming out with some big promises before the weekend and failing to deliver also speaks of a considerable lack of understanding of their car, for an F1 team level. The 23s gap isn't huge, but it's still almost 0.5s a lap over the entire race
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Matt2725
Matt2725

Maybe, but I would argue that they're of course as with every team, holding the vast majority of their cards close to their chest.

There must be some level of understanding and progress being made, as by now you'd look to start marking further personnel/organisational changes if the current crop still weren't somewhat on top of things.

Vanja #66

Matt2725 wrote:
05 Sep 2024, 09:29
There must be some level of understanding and progress being made, as by now you'd look to start marking further personnel/organisational changes if the current crop still weren't somewhat on top of things.
There's progress and there have been changes at the top, Elliot-Allison swap and a head of aero swap. Lots of people from other teams were brought in too. Still, this inconsistency and unpredictability persists and it's surprising. Having outdated simulator and WT would explain a lot (like in Red Bull's case) but I didn't catch any info like that
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Mosin123
Mosin123

Removed it.

Stop the bickering.
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 05 Sep 2024, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stop the bickering!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Mosin123 wrote:
05 Sep 2024, 13:17
Removed it.

Stop the bickering.
As directed by moderation last page - you made your points...move on.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM