2024 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Aug 30 - Sep 1

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Aug 30 - Sep 1

pipoloko wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 13:50
2023 was a 51 laps intead of 53
that is why i did equalized comparasions
Thanks, forgot about it :)

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 13:24
Nothing out of ther norm for an F1 driver.
Agreed, if we make it "top tier F1 driver." Most of them could extend the stint with the right car and the right setup, but not really keeping such a strong pace and metronomic consistency
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Mattchu

To be fair, Monza (especially now) is probably one of the easier places to do it as it`s mostly just point and squirt, plus the fact the kerbs have been lowered, new smooth surface.

Personally I think the new layout makes the track a zero peril track with regards kerbs, as opposed to what it used to be!
The old kerbs punished a few inches mistake, now it`s just meh! The whole race was pretty dull...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mattchu wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 18:17
To be fair, Monza (especially now) is probably one of the easier places to do it as it`s mostly just point and squirt, plus the fact the kerbs have been lowered, new smooth surface.

Personally I think the new layout makes the track a zero peril track with regards kerbs, as opposed to what it used to be!
The old kerbs punished a few inches mistake, now it`s just meh! The whole race was pretty dull...
I don't agree. More drivers put wheels in the gravel and grass this year than I've seen in a long time. The track is different, but it's not any easier.

PlatinumZealot

venkyhere wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 14:38
PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 13:24
Nothing out of ther norm for an F1 driver.
Probably if the name on that pic was "Hamilton" it would've been extraordinary wouldn't it ?
Mate, credit where credit's due.
Duude, you are falling for sensationalism. It's the norm for a target even down to the tenth of a second. The drirvers are just that good.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

chrisc90

Pretty average for a F1 driver to be fair. Just a case of driving to a set delta on the steering wheels and the times will be there. Max did the same in Mexico 2022. Impressive stuff, but for the level of these drivers - pretty easy.

PlatinumZealot

The steering while also shows them the delta to the targets. He did a good job keeping the tyres alive is what.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

woocasz
woocasz

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 19:40
Pretty average for a F1 driver to be fair. Just a case of driving to a set delta on the steering wheels and the times will be there. Max did the same in Mexico 2022. Impressive stuff, but for the level of these drivers - pretty easy.
you said Mexico 22.

when you have a perfect car, most dominant in history of F1, he is a genius...
(lets see that kind of performance from Max in the current RB20...hahaha)

What Charles has done is more impressive, considering the kind of car he drives. Don't forget that at the weekend Carlos said the car had too much understeer (if you have been following F1 long enough you know that Sainz prefers understeer) so imagine what Leclerc had to deal with.

Qualifying showed how understeery the car is:
Q1 +4
Q2 +2
Q3 +2

+8 "clicks" on the front wing from Q1 to Q3. That's what Charles asked for in qualifying

Oehrly

About F1 driver consistency... what also seems to happen on average more than once per race (I haven't actually averaged it), is drivers setting the exact same lap time in two subsequent laps.

For example, this race:
Sainz 1:23.503 on Lap 26 and 27
Stroll 1:21.721 on Lap 21 and 22

That's just insane to me. I stumbled over this once when I just made the assumption that this rarely happens, because I thought the odds would be very low. Turns out, they aren't.

chrisc90

woocasz wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 16:22
chrisc90 wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 19:40
you said Mexico 22.
https://i.postimg.cc/W3SB62Ck/screenshot-360-1.jpg

when you have a perfect car, most dominant in history of F1, he is a genius...
(lets see that kind of performance from Max in the current RB20...hahaha)

What Charles has done is more impressive, considering the kind of car he drives. Don't forget that at the weekend Carlos said the car had too much understeer (if you have been following F1 long enough you know that Sainz prefers understeer) so imagine what Leclerc had to deal with.

Qualifying showed how understeery the car is:
Q1 +4
Q2 +2
Q3 +2

+8 "clicks" on the front wing from Q1 to Q3. That's what Charles asked for in qualifying
I mean Max's 2nd stint on the Hard tyre in Monza was much more consistent than that of Charles.....

However, different strategy, so hard to say how long that Max would have been able to maintain that sort of time on the hard tyre.

Max drove within 3-4 tenths for 40 laps on the hard tyre in Zandvoort. Same with a couple of other drivers. Its just normal for top tier drivers.

hollus

Oehrly wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 18:55
About F1 driver consistency... what also seems to happen on average more than once per race (I haven't actually averaged it), is drivers setting the exact same lap time in two subsequent laps.

For example, this race:
Sainz 1:23.503 on Lap 26 and 27
Stroll 1:21.721 on Lap 21 and 22

That's just insane to me. I stumbled over this once when I just made the assumption that this rarely happens, because I thought the odds would be very low. Turns out, they aren't.
20 drivers, about 50 laps... that's a 1000 chances for it to happen. And we only have 3 decimals.
Rivals, not enemies.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It is not intuitive that something like this should happen. The car gets lighter with each lap (which should cause a natural laptime reduction), however some of that may balance with the lap by lap tire degradation.

Drivers setting constant laptimes is something strange that should be studied further. Even if a driver set out to maintain a target, it shouldn't be possible given that the fuel reduces. I would be interested in knowing how the driver compensates for this or if they are aware that they are compensating for it. You would have to consciously lift to slow down.

Hamiltons pace is more intuitive. He gets faster as the fuel load burns off. Even if you did not change your braking points, the mass will simply accelerate and decelerate more quickly because it is lighter with less fuel.

fourmula1
fourmula1

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 23:04
It is not intuitive that something like this should happen. The car gets lighter with each lap (which should cause a natural laptime reduction), however some of that may balance with the lap by lap tire degradation.

Drivers setting constant laptimes is something strange that should be studied further. Even if a driver set out to maintain a target, it shouldn't be possible given that the fuel reduces. I would be interested in knowing how the driver compensates for this or if they are aware that they are compensating for it. You would have to consciously lift to slow down.

Hamiltons pace is more intuitive. He gets faster as the fuel load burns off. Even if you did not change your braking points, the mass will simply accelerate and decelerate more quickly because it is lighter with less fuel.

https://i.postimg.cc/3Jzc6ZQq/image.png

Hmm. I am mostly responding to your comment “Even if a driver set a target to maintain a target, it shouldn’t be possible given that fuel reduces.”

Even amateur racers can maintain very consistent lap times. For example if I can do a best lap of 57.0 at my local track I could drive all day long at 60.0 +_ 0.250 and that is not with data. Let me look at lap time for one or two laps to set my pace and then I literally could do it all day long - even with tire deg on our hoosiers, fuel etc.

As fuel (weight) drops it only gets easier to maintain a pace. Tire deg goes the other way and you have to compensate in other ways.

If you have live data it’s easy, even without data it’s just a feel thing, it is actually pretty intuitive!

Im only trying to share the driver experience as it relates to driving to a target.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

fourmula1 wrote:
05 Sep 2024, 01:11
Hmm. I am mostly responding to your comment “Even if a driver set a target to maintain a target, it shouldn’t be possible given that fuel reduces.”

Even amateur racers can maintain very consistent lap times. For example if I can do a best lap of 57.0 at my local track I could drive all day long at 60.0 +_ 0.250 and that is not with data. Let me look at lap time for one or two laps to set my pace and then I literally could do it all day long - even with tire deg on our hoosiers, fuel etc.

As fuel (weight) drops it only gets easier to maintain a pace. Tire deg goes the other way and you have to compensate in other ways.

If you have live data it’s easy, even without data it’s just a feel thing, it is actually pretty intuitive!

Im only trying to share the driver experience as it relates to driving to a target.
F1 cars are a lot more sensitive to fuel weight than anything you could drive at your local track whether that's a go kart, a miata, or other vehicle because fuel mass is a much larger portion of the total mass.

If you drive something that is not sensitive to fuel weight, consistency will only come down to repetition. For the F1 the laptime should reduce. That's what Hamilton's data trace shows.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 05 Sep 2024, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

fourmula1
fourmula1

No doubt, but I believe the drivers can easily manage that. In fact the fuel/weight is negligible - it makes it EASIER to maintain the target because you have more room for error so to speak. Tire deg is harder to manage I suspect.

Hamilton is trying to go faster. Charles sets a theoretical time to finish the race and then sets lap times that the tires can survive along the way to the optimal finish time.

dialtone
dialtone

At some point as a driver you get in rhythm and that takes over everything else, so long as the car allows you, you keep it via feel.

Valentino Rossi is also famous for having done many times the exact same telemetry on 2 laps.