2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

if lando repeats a first few corner like monza, and we have a second driver that now wont over take him, I really fear for the constructors. Stifle Oscar at your peril - the constructors is still far from won

BMMR61

To me it is a bit disappointing the reactions to McLaren, papaya rules and so on. Journos have been going off and castigating their racing spirit. As a "racing fan" whose favourite team has always been McLaren I'm disappointed at the outcry from so many, being called "stupid", and accused of "throwing away the championship". It's hyperbolic and opposite to the desire for great racing. I aren't buying into a lot of the ideas that this announcement changes everything, I think there will still be some good racing between the two, maybe that will change as the races, and hopefully points, tick down.

A month ago when Max led Lando by 80 points or whatever there was hardly a comment about the WDC. That changed instantly that the order was reversed at Hungary to allow Oscar to regain his lead that was needlessly sacrificed. A segment went absolutely crazy and then came the pile-on. What has changed materially is the Red Bull performance relatively speaking, now arguably there is a remote chance of Lando being champion.

I think there's a fundamental mindset that should reflect Lando's chances - it's Max's and Red Bull's championship to lose much more than it's Lando's and McLaren's to win. A big difference! Screwing a teammate who is a future WDC prospect with a whole 8 races to go is something Zak and Stella have had to think long and hard about - I'm sure there have been some detailed discussions with the drivers regarding scenarios. I'm not dreaming of speculating what some of those scenarios may be, just going along to enjoy the racing, like I always have.

BMMR61

geogate wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 14:55
if lando repeats a first few corner like monza, and we have a second driver that now wont over take him, I really fear for the constructors. Stifle Oscar at your peril - the constructors is still far from won
That too! There is a lot of arrogance among our fans who have become complacent about running down Red Bull in the points but the margins are small. Baku and Singapore are potentially great tracks for Ferrari and the WCC is now a three way fight.

Slahinki
Slahinki

geogate wrote:
Why? Leclerc was miles back and only got by because Lando lost tons of time taking evasive action. If they had gone through T4 without any stupidity they would have left Leclerc even further in the dust.

mclaren111

Slahinki wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 15:23
geogate wrote:
Why? Leclerc was miles back and only got by because Lando lost tons of time taking evasive action. If they had gone through T4 without any stupidity they would have left Leclerc even further in the dust.
Spot On... And control the pace...

geogate
geogate

he got past lando cos lando made the same mistake in the second chicane that he made coming out of the first - too much gas and giving himself a slapper

mwillems

Lando will not be taking race wins if Oscar has earned it. Good Lad. Just go out their and do what you need to do to try win it with talent.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/norr ... /10653451/

Loving the response from Lando.

"And if a driver is doing better than me and performing, I need to do a better job, so I wouldn't want to take that away from someone.

"I also don't want to be given a championship. Yes, it would be great to have a championship, and on the short term you feel amazing, but I don't think you'd be proud of that in the long run.

That's not something I want, that's not how I want to win a championship. I want to win it by fighting against Max, by beating Max, beating my competitors, and proving that I'm the best on track. And that's how I want to win."
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

the66
the66

So much said re the WDC chances, imo (and only that!), they left it at least 2 races too late to support Lando - who has been clearly faster (at least in clean air), for now.
Monza, I think, Lando was surprised because of the so-called agreement for 'papaya rules and duly left room - he should have run Oscar wide, but that's the problem with Lando, he's no killer, yet. Imo,
Hope he moves from McLaren soon. Just a feeling, but 'comfy slippers', "determined to see the team win" etc, he needs to ditch loyalty fast. Again, only imo :)
fwiw, I think both are stonking drivers and my 'want' is that Macca get a wcc, just wish the team was more more mature in overall strategy for both championships.

mwillems

Sooooo... Oscar said a few races back he'd help Lando get more points but the team had clearly chosen not to take advantage.

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 01:13
Sooooo... Oscar said a few races back he'd help Lando get more points but the team had clearly chosen not to take advantage.

The team seemingly gave handled this poorly. Though, I sort of see it. I didn't think there was an actual title fight, as RB was still within fighting distance, and along with Merc, it seemed any team could challenge and that pulling back the points was pretty much impossible.

Them came Netherlands, and it looked a bit different, and I think they should have played it from Monza. But, I sort of see why the team have done what they've done.

Sevach
Sevach

Mclaren already dropped the large rear wing.

geogate
geogate

imagine the vitriol that would be going on if it were Lando that did that

Ben1980
Ben1980

If Red Bull are in the mix, not sure team orders will make a difference.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Ben1980 wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 12:27
If Red Bull are in the mix, not sure team orders will make a difference.
Nah, team orders only make sense if red bull are still nowhere. If they are suddenly back to winning races it doesn't matter anyway.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Sevach wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 11:40
Mclaren already dropped the large rear wing.
Is this the Spa wing or even lower downforce one?