2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Paa

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sergej wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 07:14
AR3-GP wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 06:27
translated: we will suck :D
I'm cautiously optimistic. Lot of work has been done, including the Monza test.
Of course there will be no wonders, they can only play with setups until Austin, but I expect them to be better than Monza.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

Horner admitted Red Bull’s issues could be due to overcomplicating the RB20 over the course of the season.

“There’s a balance issue with the car that isn’t allowing the drivers to commit to corner entry,” he said after the Italian Grand Prix last week.

“So as soon as you calm down the rear, you do that by compromising the front. So then you end up with understeer, and then you kill your tyre that way.

“So I think what we really need to do is get the map […] Or if you look at the McLaren, it almost looks like an evolution of last year’s car, a much simpler car than ours.

“Perhaps we’ve gone a little too complex and perhaps we need to simplify a few things.”

"Red Bull is yet to identify the components that have caused such a drastic drop off in performance and destabilized the car.

Reverting to older specifications may make the RB20 easier to drive, but there are no guarantees it would make it faster."

Is there any chance that eventually they can somehow identify the problem that's causing the instability in the car, maybe one of the bad upgrades, and Red Bull will win races again? For example, in 2018 when Ferrari took off the old upgrades, they became quite competitive again and Kimi was able to win in Austin. If only Verstappen can win a few more races this year, I think he'll win the individual title.

ispano6

They are learning they can't solve the problem of the front with fixes to the floor or rear

search

Paa wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 14:56
Of course there will be no wonders, they can only play with setups until Austin, but I expect them to be better than Monza.
at least setup wise, Baku normally is also an easy track to get right, as is mainly consists of similar corner types.

Mechanically it may be a different story, and it's also not one which suits Verstappen particularly well, but I doubt Red Bull will be as far off as in Monza.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

search wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 17:02
Paa wrote:
at least setup wise, Baku normally is also an easy track to get right, as is mainly consists of similar corner types.

Mechanically it may be a different story, and it's also not one which suits Verstappen particularly well, but I doubt Red Bull will be as far off as in Monza.
With the report that they are reverting to the Japan spec floor, it puts them a few development steps behind the others. This effect may cancel out any benefit they got from going to a track where their wings are closer to the others.

search

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 17:25
search wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 17:02
Paa wrote:

With the report that they are reverting to the Japan spec floor, it puts them a few development steps behind the others. This effect may cancel out any benefit they got from going to a track where their wings are closer to the others.
yeah, but none of their developments this year came with improvements anyway. And in Spielberg Verstappen still took pole by half a second.

Luscion
Luscion

RB already working on fixing the issues with the car
https://racingnews365.com/red-bull-comm ... -and-perez

The engineers found a substantial lack of correlation between the simulator data and what was being collected on track, leading to a decision to only analyse the latter to determine car set-up more effectively.

RacingNews365 understands that for the Baku weekend, the floors of both RB20s for Verstappen and Sergio Perez will take on something akin to a 'patchwork'.

The floor will be composed of a mix of three different evolutions, with the radical step considered by the engineers to be the most logical solution to avoid wasting the effort and resources spent on producing each evolution.
Although the team does recognise that the sum of the individual elements does not equate to the overall competitiveness, the radical step was the only plausible choice the team had, considering the short amount of time available.

Sergej
Sergej

The floor will be composed of a mix of three different evolutions, with the radical step considered by the engineers to be the most logical solution to avoid wasting the effort and resources spent on producing each evolution.
Although the team does recognise that the sum of the individual elements does not equate to the overall competitiveness, the radical step was the only plausible choice the team had, considering the short amount of time available
sounds like the perfect receipe for a nightmare

but let's see, there's not much they can do anyway, waiting for Austin correction.

organic

There's no need to sugarcoat it like racingnews365 have. They've cobbled together a floor made of parts they don't think are problematic. And they're experimenting still to see if they can find where exactly they went wrong

dren

And they'll use track data for set-up, not simulation data initially.
Honda!

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

The Azerbaijan Grand Prix will be a very important race, as it will become clear whether the post-summer break trends will be confirmed or undermined. In particular, it is a weekend where Red Bull will have the chance to manage Max Verstappen's accumulated lead and defend it until the end of the season. As we know, the RB20 has had significant balance problems since the Miami Grand Prix and is an unstable and unpredictable car with a lot of understeer.

Red Bull engineers discovered a substantial lack of correlation between the simulations and the data collected on the track. That led to the decision to analyze only the track data to improve the car's tuning.

The interesting rumor is that Verstappen and Sergio Perez will drive in Baku with a new floor. It would be a floor made up of different parts from three previous updates. Red Bull considers it the best solution to avoid wasting the effort of the updates, taking into account that each individual part had a positive response.

In short, Red Bull sees it as the only plausible choice given the short time frame. For the Milton Keynes-based team, Baku should buck the recent trend of decline, even if it may be appearances. The track in Baku is not as flat and smooth as Monza, making any balance problem even more apparent. In Azerbaijan and especially in Singapore, the team has the clear goal of limiting the damage. Meanwhile, the aerodynamics department led by Enrico Balbo is working day and night to develop a reasoned update for the United States GP in Austin.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The frankenstein floor is not something I took into consideration before predicting the Baku weekend. It is an unknown. It's difficult to say how they will perform now. We don't have any previous race to draw from with this configuration.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Has anyone noticed that Austin is a sprint weekend...

Sergej
Sergej

Tyre pressures are ridicously high this weekend, might be another element which adds random confusion to the "Frankenstein floor" (good definition :lol: )

venkyhere
venkyhere

Sergej wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 08:12
I am much more angry for the presumption errors the trackside team made, thinking that you can overtake easily in Budapest, that you can afford an engine penalty in the possibly only track left where win is achievable, not to mention the clown shows with the brakes in Melbourne and the engine in Montreal, which costed a ton of points.
While I agree with most of your points, the one I disagree will be about spa. They had to take a new engine ? Which other track would you rather take the engine ? They proved themselves by being fastest in Q. It turned out that the shortened DRS zones (which they could have modelled into sims) and most importantly, the massive tailwind from EauRouge to the the 90 degree turn at the end of straight made overtaking very hard, not just for Redbull, for all teams. That couldn't be predicted, so we should cut some slack there.
lio007 wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 17:18
I somehow think it would be better to be not WCC this year.
What do you mean ? They won't win the WCC this year, it's clear as daylight.
organic wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 18:18
There's no need to sugarcoat it like racingnews365 have. They've cobbled together a floor made of parts they don't think are problematic. And they're experimenting still to see if they can find where exactly they went wrong
sounds like Mercedes circa 2022
Last edited by venkyhere on 13 Sep 2024, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.