2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
j_ste
j_ste

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

The car, just like in Monza, isn’t bad. We just don’t know how good it is…yet.

In recent years they have been miles off it at Baku…so today, even though Friday, is a massive improvement

Lasssept

Henri
Henri

Looking good just need to qualify well

Luscion
Luscion

Toto saying Russell's car had a leak and they dont know where it came from so thats why the made him return to the garage. Said quali looks close

Lewis said the car felt great from the start and all the set up changes they made today improved the car. Thinks they're in the fight, its encouraging but he will still stay cautious and vigilant.

George Russell:
Today wasn't the smoothest Friday we've ever had. Unfortunately, we lost a little bit of running time with a precautionary power unit change ahead of FP2. Once we were out on track, I wasn't completely happy with the balance of the car. I was struggling to get the tyres in the right window and was lacking a little confidence. I'll work hard overnight to improve on that, step my game up for tomorrow and close the gap.The good news is that Lewis was looking very quick out there. It encourages us that the car is strong, and we can be competitive this weekend. It looks very close between several teams, with Ferrari in particular looking strong. If we can make improvements overnight though we can aim to be in the mix for qualifying and the race on Sunday.
Shovlin:
Lewis had two decent sessions and finished the day happy with the car. His pace also looked sensible although we know the areas we've got to work on. Overall, we're pleased with how his weekend has started. As has been the case in recent races, it looks very tight at the front in terms of single lap, so we'll be working hard overnight to find every bit of lap time. In comparison to Lewis, George had a more challenging day. He wasn't very happy with the balance of the car in FP1, so we spent that session trying to improve it. Shortly after FP1 finished, we spotted an issue with the power unit that led us to take the cautious approach of swapping it out for FP2. That unfortunately cost him 25 minutes of valuable track time and whilst we got to run both tyres, the programme was compromised. We'll be aiming to recover some of the lost ground with George tomorrow in FP3.
Last edited by Luscion on 13 Sep 2024, 18:43, edited 3 times in total.

cplchanb
cplchanb

[quote=Luscion post_id=1244075 time=1726245145

Lewis said the car felt great from the start and all the set up changes they made today improved the car. Thinks they're in the fight, its encouraging but he will still stay cautious and vigilant.
[/quote]

don't touch his car!!!!!

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

cplchanb wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 18:41
[quote=Luscion post_id=1244075 time=1726245145

don't touch his car!!!!!
[/quote]

You know the drill by now.

PlatinumZealot

They will even things up to being the drivers closer. Turn a P1 and P8 into a P4 and P5 cause why not?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

GrizzleBoy wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 20:27
cplchanb wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 18:41
Luscion wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 18:32

don't touch his car!!!!!
You know the drill by now.
You can't stand still between Friday and Saturday.

"Don't make it worse than before" would be better. :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I still think that Mercedes is doing something interesting with their suspension. Hamilton complained about a hot seat again. It's not the radiator air. It's the floor scraping and transferring heat to the bottom of the seat. Somehow they are able to run the car extremely low, which is why they can get away with such a small rear wing like they did in Spa this year.

zibby43
zibby43

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 23:59
I still think that Mercedes is doing something interesting with their suspension. Hamilton complained about a hot seat again. It's not the radiator air. It's the floor scraping and transferring heat to the bottom of the seat. Somehow they are able to run the car extremely low, which is why they can get away with such a small rear wing like they did in Spa this year.
Their wing level is somewhere between Ferrari and Red Bull this weekend.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

zibby43 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 03:55
AR3-GP wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 23:59
Their wing level is somewhere between Ferrari and Red Bull this weekend.
I think they are less than both of them, but maybe it's because of the way it is painted.

Merc wing reduces on the outboard part of the flap. Ferrari and Red bull are still steep.

atanatizante

Sevach wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 11:08
This generation of cars made upgrading your car waaaay more tricky than with flat floors, i'll miss this once the new 26 rules come(i suspect we will be back to more complexity=better).
Sometimes upgrades backfired and teams lost their way, but not nearly as much as now.
dren wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 19:03
This goes to show you that aerodynamics is still not a fully unsterstood field with several teams in these regs getting it wrong. I wonder if the performance they see in the tunnel doesn't scale proportionally to the larger race car. Wings may scale differently than the floor, etc, or have nonlinear scaling.
Is it scaling or other limitations to wind tunnels?
For example i think maximum speed is currently limited to 180 KM/H.
Also the wind tunnel models have no suspension whatsoever(as far as i understand), it must be hard to simulate the range of ride heights cars have to work and reactions to bumps, scrapping the ground...
At both races (Zandvoort and Monza) they were running the old floor and although their simulations said it's an improvement, on Sunday race they were slower due to the car's working window was much smaller for being much sensitive to the track temperature.
Therefore, the car wasn't able to generate enough load in order to remain into the tyre optimal working window hence they were loosing time over a lap...

With the old spec floor the car is slower but could sustain a wider working window that we could easily see on both occasions in Silvestone and Spa.

So sometimes you get more performance with an old spec even though the new one on paper is faster and to realize that fact you should ask Aston Martin squad ...

In the end in F1/motorsport it's always to find the best compromise that'll get the car faster over a lap, isn't it?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

j_ste
j_ste

Overnight changes, strike again. Like clockwork

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

j_ste wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 11:32
I think its more that the other teams were hiding their pace and Mercedes doesn't have any pace. Settle in for a long weekend

j_ste
j_ste

Jdn1327 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 11:35
j_ste wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 11:32
I think its more that the other teams were hiding their pace and Mercedes doesn't have any pace. Settle in for a long weekend
They quite clearly do have some pace.