2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Just saw the replay now from further back. He had a flashing yellow for a split second coming out of T15 which was off before he even reached the braking zone. He ran wide out of T16 and then lifted, but actually after 16 there wasn't a yellow anymore.

I am almost 90% positive he did not have to lift because the yellow was off before he braked for T16. Perhaps he would not have lifted had he not made the mistake, but it's pointless to bicker about with it at this point.

Hopefully they get lucky with a safety car tomorrow and that can bring Lando closer to the fight.

Luscion
Luscion

Darth-Piekus wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:32
What are you allowed to change without starting from the pitlane?
Adjusting the front wing flaps is about the only meaningful change they could make under parc ferme.

BMMR61

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:29
BMMR61 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:27
Some of the people here should be ashamed of the poor sportsmanship and abuse. The team and the drivers did a great job this weekend getting the car into a good setup after a pretty ordinary FP1,2,3. Lando had numerous laps destroyed over the two days, the worst being encountering the time bomb that's the Alpine. He was marginally quicker than Oscar and on track to Q2 so people need to shut it. It's a devastating result, especially after all the unnecessary hype about being favourite for WDC etc etc. Just too much hype, too much hate.

Fantastic lap by Oscar and with the lower downforce setup and among the fastest trap speeds he should have opportunities in the race but Charles looks pretty impressive. I don't think he made any significant errors across the two days which is extraordinary around this track. Both Ferrari drivers, Mercedes drivers and Max made big errors. For his second visit here he's knocking it out of the park and every McLaren fan need to get behind him (and Lando).
Amen 🙏

Race pace looked good. Start on the hards is perhaps the play from where Norris is
Yeah, the offset tyre strategy should play well with a car that's good on it's tyres in nearly all circumstances AND has low downforce top speeds.

That onboard confirmed it well that it was yellow that killed the lap dead. Unlucky.

chengzhongyi2013
chengzhongyi2013

Good analysis from Karun to explain Ocon's situation.
In my opinion, Ocon was wrong to drive around the lap when he had "sufficient damage" to his car for him to justify stopping at a safe spot (run-off area).
That said, by stopping at a safe spot he would have caused a local yellow and screwed up everyone in that sector who was on a push lap.
A catch-22 situation (bad luck for Lando)?
As what Karun had mentioned, was there a procedural defect in the way the flag situation was decided (should have been white if Ocon was sufficiently off line, instead of yellow)?

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

bauc wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:28
Lando was told by his race engineer to slow down, as soon as Lando slowed down, green flag was back on..... just a bad timing, that is all.
Now Oscar must take P1 into the first or 2nd corner and then to control the race from there.
With alternative strategy, Lando can still reach Max in the race, nothing in lost, nothing !
Even better. After Silverstone (letting Lando choose Supersoft) another evidence of his amateurism. Sorry guys But I firmly believe Lando deserves a better race engineer.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Is Norris not outside the track limit with his mistake?

Ben1980
Ben1980

He just got unlucky. It happens. Oscar was yellow in s3 so also slowed, but was far enough along.

Emag
Emag

Just looking at it again, it's so badly managed overall. Under no circumstance should they have allowed a situation where both drivers had to rely on the last laps of the session to get out of f*king Q1 with a top 3 car.

BMMR61

Oscar saying his lap was the messiest he has ever done! So the 3 tenths may exaggerate the Ferrari advantage.

Seerix
Seerix

Holy, this thread became super toxic immediately after McL started competing for top positions. People jumping to conclusions without actually having any clue what they are talking about.
Landos mistake did not cost him anything (even omitting the yellow flag), VER did worse mistake in Q3 same corner and it clearly was not quali ending error.
Good job by Osc putting it to P2.
I am happy there most likely won't be another 40 pages about team orders next week.

Sevach
Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:38

If that's as far as he went i think the front wheel is still on the line despite the fact that it isn't touching it(i'm kinda applying football logic here).
If this picture is after he started bringing it back towards the track for sure.
propercare wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:06
He should've just step on the gas and ignore the yellows, Max for sure would have done that. Even with penalty it would be better result.
I don't think he would penalyzed, the yellow he crossed before the 4th gear corner leading into the full throttle seemed to go blank just ahead of him getting there and the next light was a green light.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sevach wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:42
AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:38

https://i.postimg.cc/JhqVvsnd/image.png
If that's as far as he went i think the front wheel is still on the line despite the fact that it isn't touching it(i'm kinda applying football logic here).
If this picture is after he started bringing it back towards the track for sure.
I'm not sure because I've never seen something like this judged before in Formula 1.

Emag
Emag

Seerix wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:42
Holy, this thread became super toxic immediately after McL started competing for top positions. People jumping to conclusions without actually having any clue what they are talking about.
Landos mistake did not cost him anything (even omitting the yellow flag), VER did worse mistake in Q3 same corner and it clearly was not quali ending error.
Good job by Osc putting it to P2.
I am happy there most likely won't be another 40 pages about team orders next week.
Not sure if this happened in lap 1 or lap 2, but he did drop a potential P2 on his last run with a mistake, so it was far from perfect from Max too.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:32
What are you allowed to change without starting from the pitlane?
Underwear.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SilviuAgo

First exit in Q1 for a McLaren car in 2024. This is a thing that one and a half year ago was something between normal and usual. Yes, also in my opinion Lando made a mistake with that corner going over the kerbs and loosing the throtle momentum. But I think the best thing that we can do is to move on and to hope this Q1 result is an one off for this year. And as many said, what if Lando is losing WDC by 7 points do to Hungary outcome, likewise we may say whatif this exit in guali happen in Abu Dhabi? So with a lot of "ifs" we go crazy 😄
As someone said, this is a McLaren forum, we hope for the best for our team, we criticise our drivers, our strategy, our pit crew, our management, we know EVERYTHING and they are amateurs (sometimes :)) but as a fan we need to support them ant to help them to do better.
As some of you said (fans of Arsenal, Tottenham, Atletico Madrid, Roma, or myself Dinamo Bucharest) our teams won a championship long long time ago. But we never stop support them. Or throw lot of hate on them. So let's do like this also with our F1 favourite team. We are from all over the globe united by one common passion: McLaren.
Have a great Saturday and hope for a great race tomorrow and major points both in WCC and in WDC. Not to forget that Max is "only" P6 with Perez same part of the grid, not on Pole as almost everyone expected.
Last edited by SilviuAgo on 14 Sep 2024, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.