2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Lewis was more than comfortable with the car yesterday, except for the hot seat and the new halo mount literally blocking his vision.

Speaking of that mount. Lewis position in the W15 and previous cars in this gen of cars has had him barely peeking over the steering wheel. That mount added a lot of height I cant see this change being made with any consideration for his comfort in the car.

Matt2725
Matt2725

Luscion wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:07
j_ste wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:06
Fast on the straight and absolutely nothing in the corners…not ideal.

Feels like the early part of the season again. In terms of times.
They're losing so much time in the corners, it seems like a tire temperature issue for both
Bono:“Nine tenths to Leclerc. Four and a half tenths sector one, nearly six tenths in the middle, purple in the final by a tenth and a half.”
Hamilton lost 4 tenths to Russell in their best sector 2. I know George routinely is able to fire up his tyres a bit better, which has been to his detriment in the race of course at times.

SKYnRacing24

Alot of comment on here talking straight facts tbh. Yeah GrizzleBoy your spot on with that "Cockpit 10cm back " narrative Lewis was running. He wanted to feel the rear more but i don't know wtf to think. I personally thought it would of helped with the rotation in his natural driving style that he taps into....yet here we are. There not nailing the setup, The tyres are fikkle and Lewis can't lean on them in a qualy . Its a combination of factors which is why he doesn't know how to fix it.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

atanatizante

Dunlay wrote:
Despite having a difficult FP2, missing most of the time and having disrupted FP3, George still puts it ahead of Lewis. Clearly, Lewis has lost his one lap pace long ago. So far, I guess this has been the biggest margin that he has been outqualified by George, like for like.
You guys have to just stop bashing him and see this explanatory video in order to understand why he hates these ground-effect cars and why he`d hardly get a pole position nowadays:

And in addition to that, it`s a known fact that since that battles with ROS, he tends to set his car more toward the race ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Tonino
Tonino

Solid qualifying. Considering that last year our quickest car was 0.974 seconds off pole, this is a solid improvement. In 2022, it was 1.353 seconds off.

Let's see how the race pace goes. I want to see some improvement here, as there was no progress from 2022 to 2023. We finished around 46 seconds off P1 both last year and the year before.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I don't understand this car. Is the problem now more than just the floor?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:46
It's politics.

Its tough for me to really believe that after finishing P3 last year while his team mate languished in P8 that all of a sudden in 2024 Lewis doesnt know what makes an F1 car of any kind go fast, SPECIFICALLY on a saturday.

He can go fast in P1. He can go fast in P2. He can go fast in P3. He can go fast in the race. Just not in qualifying.

Not buying it.

All of a sudden Merc doesnt know how to warm hisntyres tonthe correct temps before he leaves the garage?

Not buying it.

And that he only knows how to win on weekends where rain affected sessions gives him an advantage (spa quali, silvestone rain end of first stint)?

Not buying it.

And its just a coincidenc e that if notbfor being unable to gonfast on saturdays people would be questioning George Russels position in the team after another low finish in the WDC?

Not buying it.

Being "managed" out of a team is nothing new.

Edit: He just said in an interview that his car was amazing yesterday, then today 'all of a suddden thw tyres dont work all day', with a smile on his face.

Its clear enough for me.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 14 Sep 2024, 16:01, edited 5 times in total.

atanatizante

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 13:31
Merc put the old floor back on and challenge for pole? You can’t make this up…
HAM said that they need to understand why the new upgrade didn`t particularly work in certain circumstances coz this is basically the 2025 car ... so I think that from here onwards they`ll just use these 8 remaining races as testing sessions, bearing in mind that they would end 4th in WCC and they are not fighting in WCC ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

PlatinumZealot

Dunlay wrote:
Despite having a difficult FP2, missing most of the time and having disrupted FP3, George still puts it ahead of Lewis. Clearly, Lewis has lost his one lap pace long ago. So far, I guess this has been the biggest margin that he has been outqualified by George, like for like.
It could be the generation of car too. He was never blistering in the Ground effect rules.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Luscion
Luscion

AR3-GP wrote:
its a weird one, the car no longer seems consistent, its the second time in the 3 race weekends after the summer break they've been 0.5secs or more off of pole. A car that usually has issues with tires overheating in these temps(something lewis was complaining about in the free practice sessions) was struggling to put temp into them come quali. Maybe they raised the ride height causing a loss in performance? neither driver was complaining about the seat being hot anymore

Matt2725
Matt2725

Worth noting, George was told to back off in the final sector on his last outlap before this final run, as they didn't want to start the lap with Albon stuck with yellows waving.

So he lost a lot of tyre temp which compromised his S1. So there might have been a bit more.

Luscion
Luscion

George Russell:
"I think it was a fair result. Yesterday was a tough one and I was a long way off Lewis, today was better. Ferrari looks fast on this type of track. We need to understand why."

Lewis Hamilton:
Sounds like he didnt change much if anything at all setup related?

Quantum

GrizzleBoy wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:47
AR3-GP wrote:
It's politics.

Its tough for me to really believe that after finishing P3 last year while his team mate languished in P8 that all of a sudden in 2024 Lewis doesnt know what makes an F1 car of any kind go fast, SPECIFICALLY on a saturday.

He can go fast in P1. He can go fast in P2. He can go fast in P3. He can go fast in the race. Just not in qualifying.

Not buying it.

All of a sudden Merc doesnt know how to warm hisntyres tonthe correct temps before he leaves the garage?

Not buying it.

And that he only knows how to win on weekends where rain affected sessions gives him an advantage (spa quali, silvestone rain end of first stint)?

Not buying it.

And its just a coincidenc e that if notbfor being unable to gonfast on saturdays people would be questioning George Russels position in the team after another low finish in the WDC?

Not buying it.

Edit: He just said in an interview that his car was amazing yesterday, then today 'all of a suddden thw tyres dont work all day', with a smile on his face.

Its clear enough for me.

Or maybe he didn't warm his tyres up properly.
It's entirely plausible, and the most efficient and simple explanation without reaching into the conspiratorial realms of sabotage.

2025 Ferrari team thread is going to be an absolute riot yo :lol:
"Interplay of triads"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Matt2725 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:14
Worth noting, George was told to back off in the final sector on his last outlap before this final run, as they didn't want to start the lap with Albon stuck with yellows waving.

So he lost a lot of tyre temp which compromised his S1. So there might have been a bit more.
Could be, but the problem then will be Russell falling backwards and Hamilton moving forwards (but with far too much work to do). Mercedes cannot optimize their results if Hamilton doesn't qualify further forwards.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Quantum wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:21
GrizzleBoy wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:47
AR3-GP wrote:
It's politics.

Not buying it.

Not buying it.

Not buying it.

Not buying it.

Its clear enough for me.

Or maybe he didn't warm his tyres up properly.
It's entirely plausible, and the most efficient and simple explanation without reaching into the conspiratorial realms of sabotage.

2025 Ferrari team thread is going to be an absolute riot yo :lol:
No youre right. Lewis Hamilton not knowing what makes an F1 car go fast or not knowing how to warm up tyres is probably the best explanation there is.

Its more likely that being able to warm up tyres and go fast on a saturday every year of his F1 career except the year he suddenly announced hes leaving the team was just a coincidence, every single one of those years and he just forgot how to do it in 2024.

Youd have to be a dummy to believe that a man who knew how to do all of that in 2023 (and every of the 16 years previous) would know how to do it in 2024.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 14 Sep 2024, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.