2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I agree, if we aren't constructors champions, it's not because the best team won it, but because we messed it up.

The folks that have been working on this Mclaren since Baku last year are the real stars of this team, the only set of people in Mclaren who's performance is spotless. I know we get carried away with drivers, but let's face it, the successes of this team have really been based on our brilliant engineers and designers.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

aleks_ader

Are we sure Piastri is not robot. His monotone voice and shear "demeanour" about "Albons fan" really sums its up for me. He is like "guys just do their job fo FS"... I love it.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

mwillems

aleks_ader wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:43
Are we sure Piastri is not robot. His monotone voice and shear "demeanour" about "Albons fan" really sums its up for me. He is like "guys just do their job fo FS"... I love it.
Yeah he doesn't give two f*cks lol Do you have a link?

-Bandit

Jurgen von Diaz

Now that McLaren is starting to think about team orders, Lando and Oscar are on the wrong end of the grid. McLaren and Lando have some learning to do about how to fight for the WDC. They are amateurs.

mwillems

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:52
Now that McLaren is starting to think about team orders, Lando and Oscar are on the wrong end of the grid. McLaren and Lando have some learning to do about how to fight for the WDC. They are amateurs.
I'm not sure what the team can really learn about today.

Both drivers struggled in Q1, not sure why.

-Bandit

mwillems

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:06
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

First runs didn't look too good. Second runs on the same set looked good but Lando got caught out.

Only complaint could be that they let them only have one chance and let them get both drivers in the drop zone (just as VER).

Letting them out slightly earlier would have been less risky for yellow or red flags but would have them on a slower track.

Jurgen von Diaz

mwillems wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

Thinking about using team orders at wrong place and wrong time. Today they couldn't do anything, but they already had gifted 10 points for Max.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:16
mwillems wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

First runs didn't look too good. Second runs on the same set looked good but Lando got caught out.

Only complaint could be that they let them only have one chance and let them get both drivers in the drop zone (just as VER).

Letting them out slightly earlier would have been less risky for yellow or red flags but would have them on a slower track.

But both drivers first and second laps were slower than Leclercs first.

Leclerc got through own his first lap alone, let alone his 1 second quicker second lap. I didn't see why, but into Q2 it was fine.

-Bandit

Sergej
Sergej

Just a hindsight thought: if Lando does not lift, he is through Q1, and will be investigated after the session, he qualifies P2/P3; then, maybe (and that's a big maybe, look at Leclerc and Russell) he gets 3 places drop on the grid, starts P5/P6. Instead of P16.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

It's going to be a good watch tomorrow. Both drivers opposite end of the grid.
I think starting on the the hards and going long whilst making up places and finishing on the mediums (we tend to get faster compared to others as the race goes on) could make for an exciting finish. Add a safety car at the right time and he can even catch and pass max.

Edit: I'm also interested to see how oscar handles himself as the lone mclaren at the front, it's another stepping stone in leading the teams hopes for a win here. He's such a punchy driver and he will 100% back himself for the win tomorrow. Can't wait

deargodhelpme
deargodhelpme

Emag wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:14
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:07
I think if we don't get the WCC I'll personally ask Zak Brown to put Darth Peikus in charge of the team.
Jokes aside, if they don’t get the WCC they only have themselves to blame. Infrastructure and facilities in general have improved quite a bit (obviously), but from an operations perspective they’re still lacking dramatically. This season really put all the blunders in the spotlight.

It’s fair to allow the team a year of growth, but I would definitely expect changes going into 2026 if they continue like this next season.
I find this season very frustrating because I have been seeing it as very similar to 2009. Replace Button and Brawn with Max and Red Bull and Seb/Red Bull with Lando and McLaren. Red Bull also dropped a lot of points in 2009 simply because the team was not ready and not mature enough (Newey's words). And this is very clearly the case with McLaren right now. I expect a big improvement (but not perfection) next year but it is very frustrating to have to go through this this year.

CjC
CjC

Points vs Ferrari is the fight now.
McLaren had a good weekend in Monza but still lost ground to Ferrari in the WCC.
McLaren MIGHT leave Baku leading the WCC but Ferrari COULD leave Singapore leading the WCC.
That would be disastrous for us fans aspirations🤦🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/576683 ... llow-flag/ here's a good explanation.

Also:

I don't think there's anything Lando could've done. Just the racing Gods hating him. He doesn't look very hopefull about his chances tomorrow though. I think they should start on softs, bank on an early sc, or pit for hards and hope the tyres last.
Last edited by Dafnalina on 14 Sep 2024, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:23
FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:16
mwillems wrote:

But both drivers first and second laps were slower than Leclercs first.

Leclerc got through own his first lap alone, let alone his 1 second quicker second lap. I didn't see why, but into Q2 it was fine.
True. Maybe Leclerc is able to ramp up quicker or take on more risk.

I was worried the car had no pace but it looks like our drivers just had pace in reserve.