2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ScuderiaLeo

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Leclerc post-qualifying interview:

In 2021 and 2023, we didn't have the car to win, but luckily, we finished on pole. In 2022, we had the right car, but unfortunately, the engine blew up. Tomorrow, we will see: I haven't done a lap with a lot of fuel yet, so it will be important to adapt very quickly. But this year, we are stronger in race pace than in a single lap. That gives me confidence. There is always a difference between what is on paper and what will actually happen, but I will do everything I can to be perfectly prepared tomorrow and finish the job.

I don't consider this to be my home GP (laughs), but it's a circuit where I feel comfortable. After the mistake, I was quite confident anyway, also because I regained confidence in that corner in FP2 and FP3. I was happy with the car; I practically didn't change anything compared to FP1, and it was pretty much the same car up until qualifying. It's quite rare, but I felt good and knew I could change the car's balance with my driving. Whenever it's like that, I feel very comfortable.
Sainz:

I think I found something in Q3 that could have helped me in Q1 or Q2, but I'm happy to start from the third position. Yesterday, I was among the fastest over the long run, and I'm confident that things can improve in the race. If we do a good job tomorrow, we can try to win with either Charles or me. A one-two finish here would be important for the team and for the Constructors' Championship, where we are close.

Among the top eight, there is at most two-tenths of a second difference. It only takes a small change in balance to be ahead of the others, and I hope it will be us. I am convinced that we can achieve a good result tomorrow, with the number one goal being to finish in first place.

This third place is certainly not exceptional, but it is decent. I would have liked to be on the front row, but I have always struggled a lot on this circuit in the past. It's one of those circuits where you are not very fast from FP1 and then have to adapt: for Charles, it's totally the opposite. He is always very fast, and it comes naturally to him.
Drivers feeling positive, let's have a good race!! =D>

f1316
f1316

I’m sure others have pointed this out but exactly the same top 3 in quali as Monaco - in my view this says a lot about the inherent nature of the cars and the strengths/weaknesses of the drivers and less about the development race.

All of which is to say: great quali and seems like a good chance for the race. It doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll have the car post Singapore so I think the Austin upgrade will be key.

Interesting that Charles keeps mentioning a new part (almost certainly on the suspension) that caused the issue in Q2. I wonder what that’s about but interesting they’re bringing new suspension parts.

yooogurt

FORZA FERRARI!

dialtone
dialtone

yooogurt wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:42
One day this myth will finally end.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

dialtone wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:48
yooogurt wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:42
you mean that triple drs thing on red bull that was going around last season? I think it was in Baku isn't it I started to see more and more about this triple drs and what not video pop in my youtube feed, i still can't understand what even is that and if its real or not

Vanja #66

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:14
Leclerc post-qualifying interview:
I was happy with the car; I practically didn't change anything compared to FP1, and it was pretty much the same car up until qualifying. It's quite rare, but I felt good and knew I could change the car's balance with my driving. Whenever it's like that, I feel very comfortable.
Sainz:
I think I found something in Q3 that could have helped me in Q1 or Q2, but I'm happy to start from the third position. Yesterday, I was among the fastest over the long run, and I'm confident that things can improve in the race.
Some of the most positive comments since mid-2022. Not a single word on bouncing, looks good for Texas and later

f1316 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:32
Interesting that Charles keeps mentioning a new part (almost certainly on the suspension) that caused the issue in Q2. I wonder what that’s about but interesting they’re bringing new suspension parts.
I think it's a replacement/new steering box, not a newly designed.

dialtone wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:48
As far as I understand, he does not mention triple-stall-DRS nonsense :) But there was always a bigger delta for RB cars as their wings carried more drag without DRS with bigger flap frontal area and angle. Ferrari decided to do the same thing and introduced the new wing design at Spa 2023, exactly the wing we see here too. Bahrain and Spain wings from this year are of the same "family" and they do have the same DRS delta as RB wings now. Funny thing is, McLaren introduced this wing at Spa this year and it was also designed with bigger flap area and angle and their DRS delta is almost the same too.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Why no one asks Leclerc why he uses the throttle while braking into the corners... No one in the grid does it.

Even in this track he is only one who is using a bit of throttle in each corner. The biggest difference is in the last one before the long straight, where all the other drivers are at 0% and he is at like 10ish %.

Autobahn303
Autobahn303

The way Charles balancing the car through sector 2 is just absolute masterclass.

yooogurt

What I liked most was that the car was fast and had no problems in all three sessions. The track evolved, the temperature changed and only Ferrari was good everywhere. It turns out that the balance of the car is excellent with the setup, which is encouraging going into the race.
FORZA FERRARI!

ScuderiaLeo

Xyz22 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:55
Why no one asks Leclerc why he uses the throttle while braking into the corners... No one in the grid does it.

Even in this track he is only one who is using a bit of throttle in each corner. The biggest difference is in the last one before the long straight, where all the other drivers are at 0% and he is at like 10ish %.
I don't understand either, why do the media not ask the drivers about these kinds of technical things? Is it that they think it's too technical for most viewers to understand? I'd really love to hear his thoughts on it, it's come up in many discussions the past few races, not just on here but in all F1 spaces. Even The Race just wrote an article on it!

Leclerc vs Piastri:

Last edited by ScuderiaLeo on 14 Sep 2024, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

Autobahn303
Autobahn303

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:13
Xyz22 wrote:

I don't understand either, why do the media not ask about these kinds of technical things? Is it that they think it's too technical for most viewers to understand? I'd really love to hear his thoughts on it, it's come up in many discussions the past few races, not just on here but in all F1 spaces. Even The Race just wrote an article on it!

Leclerc vs Piastri:

https://i.imgur.com/7fVp4zF.png
Peter Windsor talks about that in his videos.

deadhead

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:33
Some of the most positive comments since mid-2022. Not a single word on bouncing, looks good for Texas and later
Is there a corner here that would induce the bouncing they've been struggling with?

Xyz22
Xyz22

Autobahn303 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:15
ScuderiaLeo wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:13
Xyz22 wrote:

I don't understand either, why do the media not ask about these kinds of technical things? Is it that they think it's too technical for most viewers to understand? I'd really love to hear his thoughts on it, it's come up in many discussions the past few races, not just on here but in all F1 spaces. Even The Race just wrote an article on it!

Leclerc vs Piastri:

https://i.imgur.com/7fVp4zF.png
Peter Windsor talks about that in his videos.
Yeah, but i'd like to hear Charles about it.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:

When front wheels are turned, they generate steering force and torque around CoG. As far as I understood when this was explained to me by vehicle dynamics engineers, when the car starts to pivot around CoG during steering, RWD cars induce oversteer with throttle application due to inertia of the rear end that "wants" to keep going straight and generates torque around CoG. With small amount of throttle, you can induce a bit of oversteer to your preferance, like Leclerc has

Again, I hope I understood and conveyed this explanation correctly. It's too small amount of throttle to really contribute to rear tyre remperature I think, so I think it's more about driving style (especially when he's comfortable with the car)

This is part of each drivers unique technique, we can't expect they'll explain this to anyone in public :mrgreen:
Last edited by Vanja #66 on 14 Sep 2024, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

deadhead wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:20

Is there a corner here that would induce the bouncing they've been struggling with?
Maybe the flatout corner before the straight, probably still enough to go flat but we would see signs of the car looking shaky in the onboards.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lecl ... /10654298/

Charles almost on that "i don't why everybody else drives so slow" about Baku.
If he didn't have his "I am stupid" moment in 2019 it would probably be 5 in a row.