2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 10:38
Ben1980 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 10:35
Trocola wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 10:14
Why is McLaren not changing the whole power unit on Norris' car, to have freshser parts for the rest of the season, and star from the pitlane and to avoid the first turn drama?

I do not understand what McLaren is doing strategy side

Maybe they don't think they need to?

I remember Mexico ( or Brazil?) Lando started near the back, people said idiots for not taking a new engine. Turned out they didn't need one.

Anyway, he's 15th, not 24th so, not sure giving up all the places woukd be worth it.
There's only 20 cars on the grid. 19 others if you include Lando.

Would start in the same position near enough. Ocon and Hamilton starting at the back too. Theres your 2 cars back straight away.
I'm still living in the olden days!!

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:44
Darth-Piekus wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:32
What are you allowed to change without starting from the pitlane?
Underwear.

=D> :lol: :lol: =D>

chrisc90

Ben1980 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 10:50
chrisc90 wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 10:35

Maybe they don't think they need to?

I remember Mexico ( or Brazil?) Lando started near the back, people said idiots for not taking a new engine. Turned out they didn't need one.

Anyway, he's 15th, not 24th so, not sure giving up all the places woukd be worth it.

Would start in the same position near enough. Ocon and Hamilton starting at the back too. Theres your 2 cars back straight away.
I'm still living in the olden days!!
Lando's starting P15. Bottas P16. Zhou P17 and Gasly P18. Hamilton and Ocon from the pitlane.

Depending what Lando took, he would only drop a couple places on the grid. Even the pitlane not a bad call given you will catch everyone back up by the 2nd corner due to the speed of it.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

chrisc90 wrote:

I guess this means they are confident the engine is strong and reliability is rock solid. Taking a penalty just to have one more engine in the pool makes no sense if you are not losing out performance due to weak engines or expect reliability problems.

Starting 15th is much better than starting from pitlane. Maybe he can improve his starting lap losses today.

chrisc90

FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 11:05
chrisc90 wrote:

I guess this means they are confident the engine is strong and reliability is rock solid. Taking a penalty just to have one more engine in the pool makes no sense if you are not losing out performance due to weak engines or expect reliability problems.

Starting 15th is much better than starting from pitlane. Maybe he can improve his starting lap losses today.
Only other option is to have the safety net.

It’s still a Mercedes PU - the same one that’s in the back of George and Lewis. Look how many issues theirs have had this season. George took a precautionary one this weekend due to oil contamination- and now Lewis has had to give up a strong position to change his.
There’s something by underlying with those PU’s.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

chrisc90 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 11:14
Only other option is to have the safety net.

It’s still a Mercedes PU - the same one that’s in the back of George and Lewis. Look how many issues theirs have had this season. George took a precautionary one this weekend due to oil contamination- and now Lewis has had to give up a strong position to change his.
There’s something by underlying with those PU’s.
I'm sure they thought about it. We will see what happens till the end of the season.

Trocola
Trocola

I do not think that having another fresh engine is bad, even in the case they are confident with the reliability of the Mercedes engine.

Now, as Hamilton has already taken the penalty and start from the pitlane, Norris will start behind him if the decide finally ti change the engine.

I do no think this is a good strategy. They are already out of position, why not take this chance to have a new engine, instead of risking to have an engine failure?

Maybe some of those papaya rules that no one understands

chrisc90

Trocola wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 11:39
I do not think that having another fresh engine is bad, even in the case they are confident with the reliability of the Mercedes engine.

Now, as Hamilton has already taken the penalty and start from the pitlane, Norris will start behind him if the decide finally ti change the engine.

I do no think this is a good strategy. They are already out of position, why not take this chance to have a new engine, instead of risking to have an engine failure?

Maybe some of those papaya rules that no one understands
Would depend how many components took? Lewis changed the setup - so a pitlane start. I think from memory taking additional components just adds up to something like a 50place grid penalty so would be at the back of the grid (not the pitlane)?

Ben1980
Ben1980

I'm not sure the Mckaren is set up for breezing past cars, with higher top speeds. So, this will need to be bang on with strategy or luck.

The only option will surely be hard tyres going as long as possible for a safety car. But also needs to be careful at the start as really in amongst it.

Emag
Emag

Ben1980 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 11:54
I'm not sure the Mckaren is set up for breezing past cars, with higher top speeds. So, this will need to be bang on with strategy or luck.

The only option will surely be hard tyres going as long as possible for a safety car. But also needs to be careful at the start as really in amongst it.
I don’t know if this is intentional or a genuine typo, but every time I look at the word, this image pops to mind, I don’t know why.

mwillems

Lando will have no issue getting to the top 8, even on hards. It is after that that it gets tricky. But I'd go long. SC is more inevitable than Thanos.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Emag wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 12:04
Ben1980 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 11:54

I don’t know if this is intentional or a genuine typo, but every time I look at the word, this image pops to mind, I don’t know why.
I only think I have some auto correct on it! So many typos it thinks that's just what I mean!

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Put on hards a pray for a safety car towards the end when others will mostly be on hards having already stopped. That's what I'm hoping for.

Also it seems Karun and Co have already decided leclerc has won this race so let's go spoil that party oscar!

search

Mcl_G10 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 12:41
Put on hards a pray for a safety car towards the end when others will mostly be on hards having already stopped. That's what I'm hoping for.

Also it seems Karun and Co have already decided leclerc has won this race so let's go spoil that party oscar!
the past six races in Baku, the winner only came from the front row twice.

Not really a statistic that speaks for Piastri either, of course, but it's not like a victory for Leclerc is a given indeed.

Darth-Piekus

Race soon starts. Good luck to both drivers and may Mclaren do all the right things and bring the best result. I also hope for a SC in order for Norris to get some luck on his side today.

Time to see if Oscar Piastri can be championship material.

One thing we can say for sure is that Mclaren is not that dominant in terms of speed as the Red Bull of the last two years.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 15 Sep 2024, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.