2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Toto Wolff: “Lewis, good to make it to the end. It was a horror race. I can so relate to it, we can all relate to it. At least we have taken the penalty now. Let’s move forward.”

Bono: “Lewis well done mate. That was P9, but yea, understand the frustration.”
Toto Wolff: “George the second part of the race was really well driven. There’s so much to learn here.”
George Russell: “Yea thanks Toto. Tyres tyres tyres. Thanks everybody, and especially everyone in the garage.”
Last edited by Luscion on 15 Sep 2024, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

sport777
sport777

Luscion wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:45
DGP123 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:39
Luscion wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:37
Russell getting another podium due to two cars ahead crashing in the final laps :lol:
Similar to Austria, but you take the gifts when they come.

All in all though, Merc were terrible this weekend. Miles off their rivals.
Yea both drivers complaining about grip, Russell tires got better towards the end of the race, Lewis saying he had to drive the car in a c shape (whatever that means). Russell in no man's land most of the race and Lewis struggling to pass a Haas
Mercedes did not drive very well in the first stint of the race, in the second part of the race Russell was one of the fastest after Norris, so I don’t understand that Mercedes has been having problems lately in the first stages

j_ste
j_ste

Luscion wrote:
DGP123 wrote:
Luscion wrote:
Russell getting another podium due to two cars ahead crashing in the final laps :lol:

Yea both drivers complaining about grip, Russell tires got better towards the end of the race, Lewis saying he had to drive the car in a c shape (whatever that means). Russell in no man's land most of the race and Lewis struggling to pass a Haas
Curving the corners, instead of sharp v’s. Which around Baku, is like eating soup with a fork

In terms of performance, it’s back to square one.

Luscion
Luscion

j_ste wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:49
Luscion wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

Curving the corners, instead of sharp v’s. Which around Baku, is like eating soup with a fork

ah that makes sense and yea the Merc has been very inconsistent since the summer break

Dunlay
Dunlay

Early in the season, Ferrari was better than Merc and Lewis probably felt vincidated of his decision to leave Merc and then came a period where Ferrari was behind and Merc was ahead, making Lewis rue the decision and now again Ferrari is ahead. I would like to see this see-saw continue. :lol:

Dunlay
Dunlay

Luscion wrote:
You need to be there to take it, like Lewis was in Spa.

SKYnRacing24

Knew Lewis would have a absolute mare with that suspension change. Car was unsteering and overheating front and rear axel on Lewis's car. It was grim to watch, He had to drive in a unorthodox way so he had no inherent pace. A C shape is where you can't use a linear line into a corner phase. You can't race when you drive like that but that style kept the tyres from overheating consistently through corners. Russell's radio at the end " Tyres Tyres Tyres " was a insight on how this car was not setup properly to utilise the tyres. I dont know where the team go from here and they have all this data and configurations but nothing is working atm. I expect Singapore to be a shitshow for Lewis again as he has no confidence in qualy trim. Russell will drive the wheels off it but overall the car in low speed hasn't been that great.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

SKYnRacing24

j_ste wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:49
Luscion wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

Thanks for the correction mate, thats what i meant to say in my analysis. Yeah its a unorthodox way of driving a f1 car
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

sport777
sport777

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:57
Knew Lewis would have a absolute mare with that suspension change. Car was unsteering and overheating front and rear axel on Lewis's car. It was grim to watch, He had to drive in a unorthodox way so he had no inherent pace. A C shape is where you can't use a linear line into a corner phase. You can't race when you drive like that but that style kept the tyres from overheating consistently through corners. Russell's radio at the end " Tyres Tyres Tyres " was a insight on how this car was not setup properly to utilise the tyres. I dont know where the team go from here and they have all this data and configurations but nothing is working atm. I expect Singapore to be a shitshow for Lewis again as he has no confidence in qualy trim. Russell will drive the wheels off it but overall the car in low speed hasn't been that great.
The Mercedes car with the optimal tire position is one of the fastest, in the second part of the race Russell was one of the fastest on hard, unfortunately they have not yet understood the reason why the tires sometimes do not work correctly, but as I said, the Mercedes car is quite good

mkay
mkay

Was it confirmed that Mercedes changed Lewis' suspension? I though that they only changed brake discs and obviously the PU.

Matt2725
Matt2725

GR's second stint was amongst the fastest runners. He was within 12-13 seconds of Checo when the accident happened after being a pit stop behind at one point.

Luscion
Luscion

mkay wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:01
Was it confirmed that Mercedes changed Lewis' suspension? I though that they only changed brake discs and obviously the PU.
nah they changed the suspension too, its in the fia document at the bottom

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Was there an issue with the pu and other parts on Hamiltons car? Also why change the suspension setup? He would have definitely been better off starting 7th. Overtaking was difficult here.

j_ste
j_ste

Dunlay wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:56
Luscion wrote:
You need to be there to take it, like Lewis was in Spa.
Leading the entire race and then someone being disqualified for an illegality. Not quite the same thing…but sure
Jdn1327 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:17
Was there an issue with the pu and other parts on Hamiltons car? Also why change the suspension setup? He would have definitely been better off starting 7th. Overtaking was difficult here.
They thought they could set the car up better and he would still get in the points. And then took advantage of that by taking new PU components.

Because of the crash, it worked out for them. But will mean little if they can’t improve the car
Last edited by j_ste on 15 Sep 2024, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

j_ste
j_ste

Edit.
Last edited by j_ste on 15 Sep 2024, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.