2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sergej
Sergej

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

I am a bit worried about these setup experiments, how can you fu*k the setup so badly ? and, ironically, with the driver fighting for the wdc...I don't know, it's just so weird and frustrating.

organic

Back on the copium train
Helmut Marko: "We believe that from Austin we will have a package that should make us more competitive, probably even very competitive."
Sergej wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:14
I am a bit worried about these setup experiments, how can you fu*k the setup so badly ? and, ironically, with the driver fighting for the wdc...I don't know, it's just so weird and frustrating.
Max to SkySports:
"Already in qualifying I didn't feel like the final change we did with the set-up was the right way. We paid the price for that. It's probably as simple as that, if you look at Checo he had a much better race. He was more comfortable."

"From our side we tried something with the set-up going into qualifying, and it didn't go work out. You win and lose as a team. Of course I am not happy with this performance, but at the other end it sometimes works out great! You make some final changes before qualifying and it puts the car together - unfortunately this time it didnt."

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I think that making a misstep on the setup change before qualifying is proof they still don't "get it".

Quite interesting that Perez didn't get the same change. Maybe he didn't push for it?

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

I don't know why people are surprised. Red Bull clearly said that they're still experimenting, and this floor was just a quick patchwork. One setup worked well for Perez, but Verstappen's setup was not good enough. They only expect to solve their problems by Austin, when a bigger fix is coming.

Paa

To be fair Perez had really good pace. If they know what went wrong with Max and can avoid in the future, it doesn't look that bad.
Max doesn't need to win races to hold the advantage, just to have a car which can regularly fight for podiums. Perez had such car today, so hopefully it is a positive sign for future races.

organic

FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:24
I think that making a misstep on the setup change before qualifying is proof they still don't "get it".
Two different groups of engineers, isn't it? The trackside team and Verstappen will have made the setup change. And it's quite likely the issue that resulted in his bouncing etc is not related to the instability issues that they've had in the car all season

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

organic wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:31
FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:24
Two different groups of engineers, isn't it? The trackside team and Verstappen will have made the setup change. And it's quite likely the issue that resulted in his bouncing etc is not related to the instability issues that they've had in the car all season
Yeah, obviously. But in the past these types of changes would end up being an improvement and lead to VER dominating PER and the field. Something is not clicking.

Sergej
Sergej

The fact that they changed the setup badly compromising it makes me think they still don't understand the car, how to tweak it, and as consequence doesn't let me be confident about Austin correction. I hope they'll prove me wrong.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:35

Yeah, obviously. But in the past these types of changes would end up being an improvement and lead to VER dominating PER and the field. Something is not clicking.
You're making a lot of assumptions out of 1 bad setup change.

Vettel165

I am thinking now differently. If Perez could keep with the leaders today and had great race pace, now imagine Max with the proper setup. Who is usually about 0.4-0.5s faster than Perez in the race, or even more. If we take this into account Max would dominate the field. But its not that easy, as Baku was always a poor track for Max. Hopefully in Singapore it will be better. But its just hard for me in the last races as a fan, nothing works. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel. Just bring the last 7 races home please,that is all I am asking.
Last edited by Vettel165 on 15 Sep 2024, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

If not for the mistake in S2 in quali he would have qualified p2/p3. So yeah, the speed IS in the car. Only a matter of time when they pinpoint the combination of issues. It’s clear the car is still competitive when they unlock it

Paa

Also Max was really unlucky to stuck in the DRS train for so long which completely killed his race.
He was about to overtake Sainz when he just catched Norris. Then Sainz took his time for so long, that by the time he got past, Norris was just about to catch Albon. So besides that 1 attempt that Max took on Lando, where Norris was surprisingly aggressive, there was nothing else he could do. As the driver he was about to pass always had DRS as well.

Still, team was ignorant to realize the new situation and could not react and take Max out from the train, that was a really big mistake. Red Bull team from 1-2 years ago would not have been so passive to see how the race slowly going out from them.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:19
AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:02
Red Bulls bouncing isn't aerodynamically borne. It's a mechanical phenomenon in the low speed corners. He called it bouncing like a kangaroo in Monaco. There are no high speed corners here which would promote aero porpoising that Ferrari struggled with.
Most of the teams sorted out their floors for aero induced bouncing by mid-2022. What happened later was mostly induced by bumps, kerbs etc, ie mechanical induced and amplified by aero. SF23A was so on the edge that it got triggered almost everywhere in the race, while Leclerc just managed to wrestle it with some success in Q

Ferrari put too much emphasis on vertical kicks on the keel with Spain floor and decided to remove all of them on Monza floor and the car now behaves as good as prime-F1-75 judging by driver feedback. Those vertical kicks are the most ground-effect dependant features on these cars. Red Bull removed rear keel kicks, but kept the ones in the middle of boat section. If you want photo evidence let me know :)
It's a mechanical setting issue as I said:

"A wheel came off the ground all the time, so every time in all the slow corners, I was bouncing in all directions. It was like a go-kart," Verstappen added.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/301397/v ... th-it.html

Sergej
Sergej

Let's pray we survive Singapore now.

organic

Sergej wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:30
Let's pray we survive Singapore now.
Should be fine :mrgreen: