2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
napoleon1981
napoleon1981

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

The goal here for RB was to figure out how to fix the floor. Given the performance of Checo, I think we can be moderately confident that they have a handle on it. Even Max went well until they apparently took a setup direction the wrong way for Q and couldn't revert under Parc ferme conditions. Meanwhile Norris and mclaren keep fumbling and buying RB time. If they truly can fix the car in Austin they are in fine shape and this actually was a really good weekend for Max in the grand scheme of things.
Last edited by napoleon1981 on 16 Sep 2024, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

napoleon1981 wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 00:07
The goal here for RB was to figure out how to fix the floor. Given the performance of Checo, I think we can be moderately confident that they have a handle on it. Even Max went well until they apparently took a setup direction the wrong way for Q and couldn't revert under Parc ferme conditions. Meanwhile Norris and mclaren keep fumbling and buying RB time. If they truly can fix the car in Austin they are in fine shape and this actually a really good weekend for Max.
Nail hit head (sadly 😂)

Sergej
Sergej

Norris recovered 19 points in the last 3 races, that's less than what he needs to win the title, so that's a positive.

Next race in Singapore can hurt really bad though, maybe our friends at Ferrari can help stealing some points to Lando.

Then it will be all or nothing with Austin correction, I wish I had your confidence about that, but I don't want to up too much my expectations.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sergej wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 00:38
Norris recovered 19 points in the last 3 races, that's less than what he needs to win the title, so that's a positive.

Next race in Singapore can hurt really bad though, maybe our friends at Ferrari can help stealing some points to Lando.

Then it will be all or nothing with Austin correction, I wish I had your confidence about that, but I don't want to up too much my expectations.
Next race will be about using Perez to block the Mclarens after the 1st pit stops and to take away fastest lap point from Norris near the end.

The strategy has been aimless since Spa and pit stops are still far too slow right now.

The car can be slow or you can be an operational disaster class. Pick one. You cannot be both.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 17:38
I'm not sure P5 is a good starting spot. It puts you on the outside line for T1 and T2. Very dangerous place. P6 was better. Russell drop might just allow Hamilton the inside run on Verstappen instead whereas previously Verstappen would have had the inside run on Russell.
:D

Sergej
Sergej

some interesting bits from AMuS (translation by a user from autosport forum) https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... rez-crash/
- The "Frankenstein" floor is defently an improvment looking at the race from Checo in Baku

- Walche is optimistic that the Monza race has delivered the right information about the areas which lead to the instability on the floor

- Horner is stating that they were able to trace back in the development history and it turned out that the floor upgrade for the race in Barcelona 2023 has given the first stability issues with the car, basically when Checo had the first issues with the car. But they have not taken it too seriously since Max was still winning.

- Marko said that the ugprade for Imola has made everything worse

- Its very difficult to nail the setup of the RB20 in order to find the right balance and keep the tires in the optimal window

- Perez was running a small gurny flap on this rear wing, provided a little bit of downforce, i did cost him 3 km/h top speep . He was running also a bit softer on the rear axel compared to Max.

- Max had much more tyre wear in traffic compared to Checo

- Max was happy with the car on Friday, all changes they made went into the right direction. They went one step further before qualy, but that was one step too much.
another German speaking user added that setup difference between Checo and Max was actually tiny

so my take is that even a small change can push the car out of the working window, which is very small

Watto
Watto

Bill
Bill

mclaren is doing something with front and rear wing that doesn't look very good legal but fia is letting it go for the sake of the championship fight. commercial interest are taking precedence over sporting integrity.so i dont think redbull are being out developed

Macklaren
Macklaren

Bill wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 16:54
mclaren is doing something with front and rear wing that doesn't look very good legal but fia is letting it go for the sake of the championship fight. commercial interest are taking precedence over sporting integrity.so i dont think redbull are being out developed
just curious -- how do you distinguish between "outdeveloped innovation" and "illegal device". Esp. if the FIA has looked at it and signed off as legal, as they did last week?

organic

Sergej wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 15:29
some interesting bits from AMuS (translation by a user from autosport forum) https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... rez-crash/
- The "Frankenstein" floor is defently an improvment looking at the race from Checo in Baku

- Walche is optimistic that the Monza race has delivered the right information about the areas which lead to the instability on the floor

- Horner is stating that they were able to trace back in the development history and it turned out that the floor upgrade for the race in Barcelona 2023 has given the first stability issues with the car, basically when Checo had the first issues with the car. But they have not taken it too seriously since Max was still winning.

- Marko said that the ugprade for Imola has made everything worse

- Its very difficult to nail the setup of the RB20 in order to find the right balance and keep the tires in the optimal window

- Perez was running a small gurny flap on this rear wing, provided a little bit of downforce, i did cost him 3 km/h top speep . He was running also a bit softer on the rear axel compared to Max.

- Max had much more tyre wear in traffic compared to Checo

- Max was happy with the car on Friday, all changes they made went into the right direction. They went one step further before qualy, but that was one step too much.
another German speaking user added that setup difference between Checo and Max was actually tiny

so my take is that even a small change can push the car out of the working window, which is very small
All sounds positive really. If the car has been as fast as it has (fighting for wins still at canada, imola, austria, barcelona etc) whilst having developed in the wrong direction for over 12 months.. and after going "really wrong" at Imola, maybe there's a lot of performance to unlock there.

But all hinges on the Austin upgrade actually being able to reduce the instability.

Watto
Watto

Macklaren wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 17:33
Bill wrote:
i think its legal but probably push the grey areas more than others .

I am perhaps a little suspect of them saying it would take too long to redesign front wings to better comply if they updated the rules re like AM with their front wing a few years ago and RBR with their flexing rear wing given a few weeks to comply to new test ms a few years ago they were legal in they passed all tests - as per McLaren here, but maybe not the intent of them so fair play to anyone taking advantage.All teams look for loopholes sometimes the FIA clamps down others they don’t. Until/if they change rules though it’s all above board.

just curious -- how do you distinguish between "outdeveloped innovation" and "illegal device". Esp. if the FIA has looked at it and signed off as legal, as they did last week?

Bill
Bill

Watto wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 17:59
Macklaren wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 17:33
Bill wrote:
i think its legal but probably push the grey areas more than others .

I am perhaps a little suspect of them saying it would take too long to redesign front wings to better comply if they updated the rules re like AM with their front wing a few years ago and RBR with their flexing rear wing given a few weeks to comply to new test ms a few years ago they were legal in they passed all tests - as per McLaren here, but maybe not the intent of them so fair play to anyone taking advantage.All teams look for loopholes sometimes the FIA clamps down others they don’t. Until/if they change rules though it’s all above board.

i use common sense

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

Bill wrote:
Oh the irony of that.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It makes sense that the car's aero got more peaky as time went on. Remember how the RB18 launched with massively rounded off diffuser corners? It's like they were not even using the full expansion allowed by the rules. Details like this must have given the RB18 it's nice and progressive ride height insensitive aero characteristics. As the need to increase performance continued, they started using more and more diffuser volume, and more aggressive expansion details. This comes with the downside of peakiness and ride height sensitivity.

The floor and diffuser height regulation changes that were introduced in 2023 are probably also related to this. This is when Red Bull had to go away from running higher ground clearances in order to compensate for losing so much ground clearance due to the floor and diffuser throat being raised the 10-15 mm.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

Why people are so scared of Singapore? It's full of 90 degree corners which means it's easier to setup the car there. Just because Red Bull was weak there last year, it doesn't mean anything. Interestingly, Checo won in 2022.