2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lasssept

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

- Toto confirms Mercedes will introduce a new floor specification during the Grand Prix in Austin.

Motorsport:
Mercedes is pinning its Austin hopes on a new floor it is planning to introduce, although its decision to revert to an older floor model in Azerbaijan hasn't produced conclusive results just yet.
"The track is an outlier, but nevertheless, it's not like this was night and day. We still suffered from the same balance performance that we had on the new floor. So in Singapore, we have the same one that's going to shift over and we need to race that. But from Austin onwards, we'll probably go to a new specification."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/frus ... /10654979/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Austin is a sprint weekend.

DRS
DRS

I'm not holding much hope for this weekend, I predict a shocker.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Changing floors basically every race since the end of the break is starting to sound like flailing in the dark.

Tonino
Tonino

Does anyone know when Simone Resta and Enrico Sampo are supposed to start? Is it October?

Lasssept

Tonino wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 19:58
Does anyone know when Simone Resta and Enrico Sampo are supposed to start? Is it October?
- A Mercedes team spokesperson has confirmed to RacingNews365 that after an agreement between Mercedes and Ferrari, Resta and Sampo will be free to join Mercedes from the same October 1st date.

https://racingnews365.com/mercedes-to-g ... y-in-trade

Tonino
Tonino

Lasssept wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 20:07
Tonino wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 19:58
- A Mercedes team spokesperson has confirmed to RacingNews365 that after an agreement between Mercedes and Ferrari, Resta and Sampo will be free to join Mercedes from the same October 1st date.

https://racingnews365.com/mercedes-to-g ... y-in-trade
Great. Thank you

atanatizante

Luscion wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 22:25
Hamilton: “It was the worst balance I’ve probably ever had so. One of the worst balances. Basically, I had so much front end but no rears I had to turn…
This means too much low DF and the reason why he and RUS were topping the top speed trap

[/quote]
“We had a great car on Friday. We made the tiniest changes into Saturday ...
He was ending FP3 on 10th position with 1.5 tenths down in S1 and 4.5 tenths down in S2 to RUS. The same delta loses in both S1 and S2 was also seen in the race, hence the experimental setup that was done in FP3 was kept for the qualy hence for the race ...

Shovlin: “ ... The first stint for both drivers was weak. We couldn't stop the rear tyres from overheating, and, at one point, it was looking like we were in for a very difficult afternoon.”

Both drivers were starting on the M-tyres and overheating the rears means too much load on the rear axle. Bearing in mind they went for a low DF setup this means either rear suspension was set in order to induce more load or just a bigger beam wing to compensate for the lower AoA RW.

“The Hard tyre suited us much better. George had clean air to work out how to get the best out of the tyres and maintain them in a good window. That served him well later in the race.”

Tyres cool down the straight and overheating when a driver either is sitting in the dirty air or just running too fast over a designated delta which is needed in the first stint with a heavy car. All drivers need to manage the tyres, particularly in the first stint of a 1-stop race when the car is full of fuel and the tyres are the softest of the entire range. Running in the free air is king, as Piastri said at Spa, meaning they don`t need to manage the tyres too much and run slightly slower just not run into the thermal deg phase, hence they could run faster.

Shovlin saying that RUS was doing well in the second stint on the H-tyre means the car was setup on the data gathered on Friday when they did the race sim runs. The fact that RUS, in particular, is baffled by the tyre's behavior means they have a narrow car setup window aka an unoptimized floor old for the low DF race tracks like Monza or Baku with an optimized one for the medium to low DF race tracks like Silverstone or Spa ...

[/quote]

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

PlatinumZealot

DRS wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 22:20
Prediction here, Kimi will give Russell all he can handle immediately. Big Hamilton fan here, I think he's gone stale, sad to say but I can't ever see him reaching past heights.
Wait until the new formula comes. The real Hamiton went away since the hybrid era came. Heavy, boat likes cars just don't suit his style.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Lasssept wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 18:32
- Toto confirms Mercedes will introduce a new floor specification during the Grand Prix in Austin.

Motorsport:
Mercedes is pinning its Austin hopes on a new floor it is planning to introduce, although its decision to revert to an older floor model in Azerbaijan hasn't produced conclusive results just yet.
"The track is an outlier, but nevertheless, it's not like this was night and day. We still suffered from the same balance performance that we had on the new floor. So in Singapore, we have the same one that's going to shift over and we need to race that. But from Austin onwards, we'll probably go to a new specification."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/frus ... /10654979/
It better not scrape it self to bits all over the track this time.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

214270 wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 12:00
Reminds me of ‘22 getting round that corner, except this had nothing to do with bouncing.

https://i.ibb.co/sgg9LFP/IMG-4841.gif
The car setting for this race was insanity.

DRS
DRS

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 04:07
DRS wrote:
Prediction here, Kimi will give Russell all he can handle immediately. Big Hamilton fan here, I think he's gone stale, sad to say but I can't ever see him reaching past heights.
Wait until the new formula comes. The real Hamiton went away since the hybrid era came. Heavy, boat likes cars just don't suit his style.
I don't think that, but as you say, we will soon find out.

Jurgen von Diaz

Vanja #66 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:54
It's outrageous that Lewis is still altruistically giving to the team doing all these experiments that will never benefit him.
Agreed, Toto is sucking the joy of racing from Hamilton and setting up everything for Russell. That's not the way to repay your 6x Champ... I had my doubts before, but after reading that 1-stop in Spa was meant for Hamilton, it all became clear... Typical Toto, what he lacks in leadership skills and personal accountability, he makes up for with a lack of sportsmanship
One-stopper was a gamble strategy, and two-stopper was the mainstream strategy. You do not gamble when you are in the lead, and Hamilton pitted against his closest rival Leclerc, as you do when you are leading. People see conspiracy theories everywhere when it comes down to Merc, meanwhile Sainz is quite comfortable getting beaten by Leclerc race after race without whining.

DRS
DRS

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 09:20
Vanja #66 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:54
It's outrageous that Lewis is still altruistically giving to the team doing all these experiments that will never benefit him.
Agreed, Toto is sucking the joy of racing from Hamilton and setting up everything for Russell. That's not the way to repay your 6x Champ... I had my doubts before, but after reading that 1-stop in Spa was meant for Hamilton, it all became clear... Typical Toto, what he lacks in leadership skills and personal accountability, he makes up for with a lack of sportsmanship
One-stopper was a gamble strategy, and two-stopper was the mainstream strategy. You do not gamble when you are in the lead, and Hamilton pitted against his closest rival Leclerc, as you do when you are leading. People see conspiracy theories everywhere when it comes down to Merc, meanwhile Sainz is quite comfortable getting beaten by Leclerc race after race without whining.
It doesn't take long for them to come out when Lewis has a bad race. It's been clear for a while now, him and his team just don't know how to set the car up. And folk were crying about Bono not going to Ferrari, Hamilton wants shut of him, his engineering team have been atrocious for a number of years now.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 04:07
DRS wrote:
Wow. He’s won 6 championships during the hybrid era hasn’t he? And the weight and size reduction that’s expected is not that big. They will still be driving heavy boat like cars and with more complicated aero too.