2024 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, Sep 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2024 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, Sep 13-15

Seanspeed wrote: ↑
16 Sep 2024, 22:48
Perez had every right to retain his line and keep Sainz on his outside
The chase car can keep the lead car on his outside/inside?

It's the lead car who can keep the chasing car on the outside/inside, at least while he's the lead car. Once they're side by side both own same rights, but while there's a chase car and a lead car, the lead car can always choose the line, while leaving a car width for the chase car obviously

The lead car have always own the right to push the chase car almost to the wall, almost. There have been blatant examples where not even a full car width was left, but none was penalized. Sainz left 2-3 cars width to Perez

There not a single sensible reason to blame Sainz

Normally it would be Perez fault 100%, but I can understand Stewards decision based on sun conditions and lack of sharp movements from any driver

PlatinumZealot

Farnborough wrote: ↑
16 Sep 2024, 16:58
Define "lead" in this situation.

It was none of that apex and radius stuff, he wasn't clear on track, on a straight, to be able to "take" his line if that's what's being implied.

We're all mature enough to understand it was a to & fro set of behaviour from the two of them at that point in the race, each wanting the advantage, naturally . Being clear of the other car such as it could not cause a collision is just part of that.

Sainz never achieved authority over track position to enact that move.

Acceptance of Perez being judged to NEED application of avoidance proves just that. Until Sainz had clear status to do that, its a threat of "crash or move" on his part.

Showing the rules that clearly support that positional authority would illuminate this.
Yes he did achieve authority, he was in front on a straight and nowhere near a braking zone. He has the right to close in as long as he doesn't weave or do sudden irregular movements.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Perez can chose to stay there... But he should prepare to crash.

Racing Green in 2028

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

It is 100% Sainz Fault. Look at how he try to overtake Lecrec after over taken Perez... but lecrec his team mate. If... Sainz hit Lecrec on that maneuver then what will happen?

It is Sainz fault and try to turn left to cover Pereze(from on board camera) without knowing his rear tyre is inside of Pereze front right tyre....
Sainz Turned in and crash it. Why Perze to move left if he did, he lost the space again.... so I don't think it is Pereze issue....

Look at Sainz previous crash all are same and immature movement from him.

100% over rated driver in F1 with influence his father he is driving still in F1.

Tommy.G
Tommy.G

Anyone saying β€œPerez has the right to keep his line” next time you see someone violate a STOP sign or a red light on the road…just keep going until you crash with him! Do not avoid the crash! =D>

It’s classic Perez really not wanting to give an inch and preferring to crash instead of avoiding a collision! It doesn’t surprise me one bit…

F1NAC

selvam_e2002 wrote: ↑
17 Sep 2024, 05:44
It is 100% Sainz Fault. Look at how he try to overtake Lecrec after over taken Perez... but lecrec his team mate. If... Sainz hit Lecrec on that maneuver then what will happen?

It is Sainz fault and try to turn left to cover Pereze(from on board camera) without knowing his rear tyre is inside of Pereze front right tyre....
Sainz Turned in and crash it. Why Perze to move left if he did, he lost the space again.... so I don't think it is Pereze issue....

100% over rated driver in F1 with influence his father he is driving still in F1.
Lmao calm down. As you can see, Carlos "drifted out of that corner and his corner exit was slightly angled. Both drivers had their steering wheel pointed straight.

If Checo was a little bit more patient he would have grabed a podium. And he needed that after a long drought. But anyways it's just me I guess. As FIA said, both are guilty. But at least Perez had more space to manouver.

Vanja #66

Sainz didn't make any steering input towards Perez after corner exit, followed the racing line and had very little room on his right. Perez didn't make any steering input towards Sainz after corner exit and had a lot of room to his left. Driver behind is causing the crash if he doesn't do anything to avoid it, otherwise attacking driver would be allowed to T-bone the one ahead every time

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/x8Pkhcb47Yc
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Andres125sx

selvam_e2002 wrote: ↑
17 Sep 2024, 05:44

Your argument is an Ad-Hominem falacy :roll:

Haters gonna hate

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Andres125sx wrote: ↑
17 Sep 2024, 00:15
The chase car can keep the lead car on his outside/inside?

It's the lead car who can keep the chasing car on the outside/inside, at least while he's the lead car. Once they're side by side both own same rights, but while there's a chase car and a lead car, the lead car can always choose the line, while leaving a car width for the chase car obviously

The lead car have always own the right to push the chase car almost to the wall, almost. There have been blatant examples where not even a full car width was left, but none was penalized. Sainz left 2-3 cars width to Perez

There not a single sensible reason to blame Sainz

Normally it would be Perez fault 100%, but I can understand Stewards decision based on sun conditions and lack of sharp movements from any driver
Again, the distinction between 'chase' or 'lead' car here is irrelevant when they're at all side by side down a straight. Both drivers have to respect the space/position of the other. There is no 'right to push a driver over' whatsoever. lol That is just not a thing.

Of course drivers will still try and push others around and squeeze them, and it will often work because of basic self preservation, but there is no rule about drivers having to move over just cuz another car wants to push into your space. If you try and push somebody around who doesn't want to be pushed around, you're going to risk a crash and if one occurs, it will be your fault.

PlatinumZealot

Perez was not side by side he ws behind. His front wheel needs to be at side pod level to be counted as beside. I don't think you are up to date on general racing guidelines! With all due respect.

In other news, Perez senior nearly got a heart attack after watch the crash. Found unconcious in his bathroom taken to hospital he is now stable. He should refrain from watching fromula 1 for now!!

Racing Green in 2028

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
17 Sep 2024, 12:28
Perez was not side by side he ws behind. His front wheel needs to be at side pod level to be counted as beside. I don't think you are up to date on general racing guidelines! With all due respect.
If Perez wasn't alongside, there would have been no crash. :lol:

Any bit alongside is alongside in this situation.

I'd love to see in the rules where it says that a driver HAS to move over if another car swerves into their space, though. I'm pretty confident no absolutely bonkers clause was inserted there saying so when I wasn't paying attention...
Last edited by Seanspeed on 17 Sep 2024, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

DRS
DRS

They were both to blame and the result was fair, it will teach them next time to give a little leeway.

bluechris

DRS wrote: ↑
17 Sep 2024, 12:37
They were both to blame and the result was fair, it will teach them next time to give a little leeway.
RB & Ferrari have money now to fabricate their own flexy wings or they will use catering money after this costly crash ? :)

TFSA

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
17 Sep 2024, 12:28
If a car is considered alongside or not depends on a lot of things. For an inside overtake in a corner, for example, you only need front axle ahead of rear axle to be considered "significantly alongside". The "sidepod" thing is bogus, and there's no credible source for that. From what i can tell, it's something people on the internet came up with.

But the problem here is that people are taking rules that apply to racing in a turn, and trying to apply them to two cars racing on a straigth.

Logic dictates that when two cars are racing on a straigth, they each have to respect each others space. It's as Seanspeed said. Sainz - even if he's following the racing line and is slightly ahead - can't move into Perez space when Perez is alongside him (and yes, Perez is alongside him) - and the same thing applies to Perez.

If it was as you said, then Perez would have been penalized. He:
  • had more space to his left than Sainz had on the right.
  • had better visibility in his position.
  • was behind.
  • was NOT alongside according to you.
...so if Sainz was entitled to the racing line, then ruling it as a racing incident is out of the question. It could only have been blamed on Perez then. Stewards noted that Sainz was following the racing line, but that's not the same as being entitled to it. You can't just take up space that's occupied by another car - that's only allowed in one instance, and that's when another car is attempting an outside overtake, and isn't fully ahead after the apex.

As other people said, they're both to blame - probably Perez slightly more than Sainz, because he was in the best position to avoid the incident.

PlatinumZealot

Nah you guys have got it wrong. Back to racing kindergarden with you.

I really have no biases in this case, but I have been around long enough and experienced a whole bunch of these conversations to know what is accepted as along side. A front wheel to rear wheel doesn't count as the leading driver cannot judge your car properly. Your car has to be "alongside" his field of view that he can reasonable react to you. It was accepted in the drivers' meetings that it has to be front wheel to side pod. If not the following driver must yield if he doesn't want to crash.

Racing Green in 2028