2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 14:57
Emag wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 14:45
But I disagree on the premise that this is somehow a game changer and that McLaren suddenly has +10kph on everyone without DRS and now nobody has a chance to overtake them if they're in front ...
At those speeds, it could be up to 5kmh more and judging by top speed data and DRS delta it's definitely at least 3-4kmh. More than enough to be critical for overtaking. Ferrari lost because they stayed 2 laps too long on mediums and because they stayed on typical Hard tyre warm up cycle instead of picking up the pace, but having been overtaken already it didn't help to fight a car that sheds considerably more drag than others on straights
Yeah, this. Ferrari should have won the race anyway and we should separate the conversation about this wing from the Baku race specifically.

What I find odd is just how the FIA choose to enforce flexible wings differently in different seasons etc. I think “it passed the load tests, therefore it’s legal” is a totally valid response and if that’s always how they view it, then everyone knows where they stand. The fact that several times in the past new load tests or other mechanisms have been introduced mid- season just makes it all confusing. I guess I’m way off the Ferrari team topic though, other than that the silver lining is that we potentially still have this development path up our sleeve, whereas McLaren has already played their hand in this regard.

Vanja #66

WCC points, standings after 17 races are as follows:

2004 - 607 (latest points system)

2007 – 500 total, 29.4 points per race (latest points system, 17 races)

2017 – 428

2022 – 439

2023 - 298

2024 – 425

Even with Perez' intervention on Sainz and a missed win, WCC points haul remains very high relative to post-2007 seasons. It could keep rising by about 22-25p per race with 3 remaining Sprint weekends in the next 7 races and there should be over 550p by the end of the season, to equal 2022, 2018 and 2017 season as best WCC season since 2007/08. A very, very strong achievement without having the best car overall at any point of the season

f1316 wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 18:54
What I find odd is just how the FIA choose to enforce flexible wings differently in different seasons etc. I think “it passed the load tests, therefore it’s legal” is a totally valid response and if that’s always how they view it, then everyone knows where they stand.
Load tests have a very limited scope, which is why datum dots on rear wings were introduced after 2021 rear wing saga. There are parts of rear wing bodywork rules that this wing does not comply to and there's obvious excessive and unreasonable amount of flexing. Why the FIA suddenly allows this is a matter that teams need to get a fair explanation for.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

In Baku the so -called mini DRS resulted in more like 5/6 km/h, which just about seems to have compensated for the FERRARI ability to deploy for longer.

LM10
LM10

Fastest car in the hands of the fastest driver on this track could not be turned into a win and that’s a shame.
The first key factor was the decision by Ferrari to react rather than act and pit only after Piastri. The second key factor was Charles’ lack of defensive driving against Piastri. Though, both of these factors had a misbelief in common: That McLaren was not able to warmup the tyres as quickly as they did. This made the team take their time with pitting Charles and made Charles drive in a conservative way against Piastri.

However, once behind Piastri, Charles still had chances to win the race as the fact that he was in the DRS-range for over 30 laps showed. But there was another key factor: Little did Ferrari know that McLaren was benefitting from their own Mini-DRS (it’s a scandal btw that the FIA is turning a blind eye to this) lap after lap and making it almost impossible for Charles to overtake, even with only 6 tenths difference going onto the long straight. Without this trick, McLaren would have not won this race. This should have been Ferrari’s victory without a doubt.

As if this wasn’t enough frustration, the crash made things even worse.

An overall frustrating race, but things were learnt.

Now off to the next one in Singapore. I’m predicting a Charles pole and a win… barring any shenanigans or catastrophes.

deadhead

search wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 10:53
deadhead wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 00:26
Hopefully track can stay dry for Q and Race ...
usually it only rains in the afternoon and dries up for the late sessions. I think 2022 has been the only exception in those ~15 years of racing here?
Yes, no rain expected, but the weather there is very dynamic to say the least, so I'm just hoping it stays dry so we can see how the car goes.

Does anyone know if track temps get low for the race in Singapore? I know it won't be as harsh as Las Vegas, but I'm guessing they will be on the low side for sure.

scuderiabrandon

deadhead wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 23:36
search wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 10:53
deadhead wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 00:26
Hopefully track can stay dry for Q and Race ...
usually it only rains in the afternoon and dries up for the late sessions. I think 2022 has been the only exception in those ~15 years of racing here?
Yes, no rain expected, but the weather there is very dynamic to say the least, so I'm just hoping it stays dry so we can see how the car goes.

Does anyone know if track temps get low for the race in Singapore? I know it won't be as harsh as Las Vegas, but I'm guessing they will be on the low side for sure.
They typically stay around the ambient temps when it's dry at night time.

Emag
Emag

I think its predicted to rain every morning from friday to sunday, so they will likely have to deal with a “green” track every day.

There’s a 40% chance it will rain during the race as well, but might as well consider that 0 at this point. Too early for accurate predictions.

aleks_ader

I think Singapore there is chance for pole very big. Maybe even with luck 1&2 witch is crazy too say after BAR calamities. I just wait for better track too judge recent floor changes and new setup with car. Austin and Mexico will gave us and engineers finally clue if they commit recent changes also for next year.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

saviour stivala wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 19:14
In Baku the so -called mini DRS resulted in more like 5/6 km/h, which just about seems to have compensated for the FERRARI ability to deploy for longer.
Nah its no so much. Cumulatively i definitely could see 3kph but nothing more. After all bleed off happens at lower AOA of wing.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

bluechris

aleks_ader wrote:
18 Sep 2024, 18:55
saviour stivala wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 19:14
Nah its no so much. Cumulatively i definitely could see 3kph but nothing more. After all bleed off happens at lower AOA of wing.
If you count also the front flexing, how many klms is in sum? 7-8?

aleks_ader

front is bending for everybody

genarro
genarro

I dont know why everybody is crying about the McLaren wing... They have exploited a gray area and are pushing with innovative design. Something that Ferrari hasnt done since 2002.

bananapeel23

genarro wrote:
18 Sep 2024, 20:59
I dont know why everybody is crying about the McLaren wing... They have exploited a gray area and are pushing with innovative design. Something that Ferrari hasnt done since 2002.
Errm have you forgotten about the spicy engines back in 2019 or the halo wing mirrors in 2018 or the plank flex in 2022?

Ferrari absolutely, positively operates in the gray area a lot. Potentially more than any other team. Ferrari just does it to such an egregious extent that the FIA usually intervenes.

Vanja #66

Kind advice to all, don't feed the trolls. Recognize baiting, report the post and ignore it afterwards
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Sep 2024, 21:21
Kind advice to all, don't feed the trolls. Recognize baiting, report the post and ignore it afterwards
The sad part is that many of them are not trolls, but they simply don’t have a single clue of what they’re talking about.