2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

albert fabrega is reporting it too.

Zaamy
Zaamy

They just mentioned it on the team principal press conference too

BMMR61

Emag wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 13:47
I am glad this happened to be honest. Too much fuss over such a small thing because it was operating in controversial circumstances by exploiting the DRS opening. If they do end up winning the WCC, doing it with a rear wing which was not perceived well by the general public would have tainted it somewhat.

It's better like this.
It won't stop the whining about "cheating" though.

Darth-Piekus

So what do you think the change might cost in time if we change the rear wing for Vegas? That should be the last race with huge straights.

chrisc90

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 14:12
So what do you think the change might cost in time if we change the rear wing for Vegas? That should be the last race with huge straights.
Red bull estimated it to be 1-2 tenths. Quite a bit.

How true that is, nobody will know. Teams generally have a decent idea what others are doing though.

SilviuAgo

This is going to be interesting.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10656010/

McLaren says it is not only F1 team under scrutiny for flexing rear wing
While McLaren has been the main talking point over its flexing rear wing design, the team says others are up to similar game.

kimmmykim
kimmmykim

BMMR61 wrote:
Emag wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 13:47
I am glad this happened to be honest. Too much fuss over such a small thing because it was operating in controversial circumstances by exploiting the DRS opening. If they do end up winning the WCC, doing it with a rear wing which was not perceived well by the general public would have tainted it somewhat.

It's better like this.
It won't stop the whining about "cheating" though.
Will it though? Now that the the FIA have said it's not legal, then it can be inferred that it was always illegal. McLaren just got away with it.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

bauc

dialtone wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 13:41
bauc wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 13:36
Even if they modify it I dont think that this wing really made a difference and I wouldnt count the RBR daily as consistent. I want to see something official from the FIA.
That RW will not be used anyway by the end of the season, that was specifically made for SPA, Mozna & BAKU, correct me if I'm wrong but till the end, no other track require that low level of downforce set up on the rear.
Las Vegas obviously will have the same wing.
I forgot about that ugly race
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 13:44
dialtone wrote:
bauc wrote:
That RW will not be used anyway by the end of the season, that was specifically made for SPA, Mozna & BAKU, correct me if I'm wrong but till the end, no other track require that low level of downforce set up on the rear.
Or the ultra low down force wing.

If AMuS are reporting it, I think it's true.
Ultra low probably uses the same effect.

But I don't think the effect is that large. I wish it wasn't banned as it would mean other teams spend a lot of time to develop their variants for little gain.

Ben1980
Ben1980

In the eyes of many, this will tar the performances. People still hark back to changes and Red Bull and they get called names.

The wing was designed that way for a reason, no chance it didn't have an impact, but maybe they won a race they otherwise wouldn't.

I've seen Ferrari have brought new parts, so jumping on the flexi bandwagon, may even push them ahead.

Ben1980
Ben1980

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 14:24
mwillems wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 13:44
dialtone wrote:

Or the ultra low down force wing.

If AMuS are reporting it, I think it's true.
Ultra low probably uses the same effect.

But I don't think the effect is that large. I wish it wasn't banned as it would mean other teams spend a lot of time to develop their variants for little gain.
The effect would have been beneficial, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. In a sport when .0.01 can separate anything can be deemed large enough an effect.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ben1980 wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 14:27
The effect would have been beneficial, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. In a sport when .0.01 can separate anything can be deemed large enough an effect.
Yes obviously but I don't think that the effect is significant. If it was McLaren would be relatively faster in Spa/Monza/Baku compared to other races and that is just not visible.

dialtone
dialtone

FittingMechanics wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
Yes obviously but I don't think that the effect is significant. If it was McLaren would be relatively faster in Spa/Monza/Baku compared to other races and that is just not visible.
This position doesn’t make sense.

They designed it on purpose and are awesome for exploiting gray areas, but they did all of this for no gain and thus just spent money to gain nothing.

So are they awesome or what?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

dialtone wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 14:32
FittingMechanics wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
This position doesn’t make sense.

They designed it on purpose and are awesome for exploiting gray areas, but they did all of this for no gain and thus just spent money to gain nothing.

So are they awesome or what?
Who says no gain. Don't be making stuff up.

I don't think the effect is significant (important, large, or great, esp. in leading to a different result or to an important change). If it was some kind of magic bullet McLaren would dominate those races.

franbatista123

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 14:29
Ben1980 wrote:
If you can see it clearly with your own eyes, the effect cannot be insignificant. You can also argue that in Spa/Monza/Baku they were a bit faster than they should have been because of it.
Last edited by franbatista123 on 20 Sep 2024, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.