Manual traction control

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Matt2412
Matt2412

Manual traction control

Is Manual Traction Control the Next Frontier in F1?

With F1 teams always seeking ways to push the boundaries of performance within the regulations, could a manual version of traction control be the next big innovation?

Imagine this: a system where a computer analyses real-time data—wheel slip, tire grip, and track conditions—to calculate the exact edge of traction. Instead of automatically cutting power (which would be illegal under current rules), the computer simply displays feedback to the driver, letting them know how close they are to losing grip. It wouldn't intervene, but rather assist the driver in making precision decisions through tricky corners.

Here’s the big question: would such a system be feasible and, more importantly, legal under the current F1 regulations? Since the system isn’t actively controlling the car, but rather informing the driver, could it bypass the traction control ban? Or would this kind of computer feedback be considered an unfair advantage? Articles 9 and 8 don’t seem to directly ban such an implementation.

What do you think—could this concept be used by a team, or would it be a step too far within the rules?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Manual traction control

Are you wondering about Hamilton's traction metrics?
A lion must kill its prey.

JordanMugen

In other series it is allowed to program the shift lights to show whether there is wheelspin. ls that allowed in Formula One? :)

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

"would such a system be feasible" yes

Matt2412
Matt2412

Yes, Hamiltons comments about “Traction Metrics” got me thinking.

I suppose it all comes down to whether such a visual/audial representation of available grip is permissible. One could argue that the driver already has aides to show revs, tyre temperatures etc this would fall into the same category.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Manual traction control.....aka my right foot 😂
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Technical regulations 9.2.2 says it is forbidden to notify the driver of wheel spin. In theory it doesn't forbid notifying the driver of yaw slip and brake locking but both of these things are easily observed by the driver. The driver can see the front wheel under rotating, and the driver can feel yaw slip.

Matt2412
Matt2412

It might be semantics but the “onset of wheel spin” to me is retrospective ie the wheels have started slipping.

The idea here is to tell the driver how far they are from that happening.
Last edited by Matt2412 on 21 Sep 2024, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Matt2412 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 00:22
It might be semantics but the “onset of wheel spin” to me is retrospective ie the wheels have started slipping.

Do you drive, ride or do anything that you think that an alert of slippage would be useful? Do you drive karts?

I've ridden MTB for 30 years and I raced* motorbikes for a couple years before I had kids and in these activities, though not car racing, I think any sort of alert would be too late. I'm handy in a kart**

Am I missing something? How does a secondary alert beat the backside, the guts or rest of the body in dealing with lack of traction?

* Slow, but I won the final 2 races I where l entered
** I beat my son mostly 😁
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CMSMJ1 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 00:54
Matt2412 wrote:

Do you drive, ride or do anything that you think that an alert of slippage would be useful? Do you drive karts?

I've ridden MTB for 30 years and I raced* motorbikes for a couple years before I had kids and in these activities, though not car racing, I think any sort of alert would be too late. I'm handy in a kart**

Am I missing something? How does a secondary alert beat the backside, the guts or rest of the body in dealing with lack of traction?

It's done in other championships. I've seen it on the Audi prototypes from the early 2000s as well.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 00:58
CMSMJ1 wrote:
Matt2412 wrote:

It's done in other championships. I've seen it on the Audi prototypes from the early 2000s as well.

https://i.postimg.cc/fyJ3HtVp/image.png

That's a great lap.

Those lights are illuminated for other reasons though?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CMSMJ1 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 01:11
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 00:58
CMSMJ1 wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/fyJ3HtVp/image.png

That's a great lap.

Those lights are illuminated for other reasons though?
Yes there are 3 purposes of the lights.

1) Wheel spin on corner exit
2) Lockup on corner entry (driver can't see the tires with closed wheel)
3) Lift and coast marker, the lights "count up" to the coast marker (for energy harvesting, fuel efficiency).

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

This is a better example. They are real