2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SilviuAgo

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SilviuAgo wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 10:26
Reading some articles regarding Mercedes and RB struggle from the last races, a question raised on one comment and I want to discuss it also with you.
Is clear that RB has a major issue riding kerbs, and that was probably the main reason that last year they didn't won all the races . And the "guilty" part of the car was indicated to be the suspension. And now comes the question saw on https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/max- ... baijan-gp/ : "Who designed the horrible Red Bull suspension?"
It wasn't Rob Marshall the RB expert on suspensions? And if so, did he had some involvement in RB design for "23 and '24 or he already was out due to McLaren switch (in January '24)?
I am putting this question because McLaren, together with Ferrari, seems to have the best suspensions, and is strange RB to struggle so badly for this.
When Marshall was announced Red Bull said that he was not included in development of F1 car for a while now (I think at least no part in RB19 and RB20).

Btw Vcarb is running that "awful" suspension and doing well in FP1 and FP2. It is likely that it is not just the suspension, more likely that their Red Bull aero forces them to run super stiff or low and suspension can't cope.

mwillems

chrisc90 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 10:30
Nobody will go out their way to ‘offer’ to change a part on a car that they are certain complies to all regulation. Only way you would ‘offer to change’ it is you know it’s a grey area and you’ve been found out, or the FIA had had a chat with you and said we going to ban this with a technical directive/ or goes against one already in place.
Unless they think testing or regulation.may directly or indirectly harm them more that just knocking it on the head without any need for official clarification or tests.

Or perhaps they don't need it now since it's done 3 out of 4 races. They knew it was dodgy, they could have easily done this with many wings but chose to use it sparingly when it most counted. I expect they always knew it'd go, so why not keep in the FIAs good graces
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Big Tea

Other teams will have spent a wedge of their allowance either copying this or having some other flexing tweek in the pipeline, so it may even end up being an advantage to Mclaren to get a months benefit from it then close the loophole to others.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SilviuAgo

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 11:04
SilviuAgo wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 10:26
Reading some articles regarding Mercedes and RB struggle from the last races, a question raised on one comment and I want to discuss it also with you.
Is clear that RB has a major issue riding kerbs, and that was probably the main reason that last year they didn't won all the races . And the "guilty" part of the car was indicated to be the suspension. And now comes the question saw on https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/max- ... baijan-gp/ : "Who designed the horrible Red Bull suspension?"
It wasn't Rob Marshall the RB expert on suspensions? And if so, did he had some involvement in RB design for "23 and '24 or he already was out due to McLaren switch (in January '24)?
I am putting this question because McLaren, together with Ferrari, seems to have the best suspensions, and is strange RB to struggle so badly for this.
When Marshall was announced Red Bull said that he was not included in development of F1 car for a while now (I think at least no part in RB19 and RB20).

Btw Vcarb is running that "awful" suspension and doing well in FP1 and FP2. It is likely that it is not just the suspension, more likely that their Red Bull aero forces them to run super stiff or low and suspension can't cope.
This makes sense. Tks for reply.

Watching now live F1TV and no rain in Singapore. Hope to stay dry cause rain hazard can only shake up the order, and I don't want this. Is ok with McLaren fighting Ferrari for Pole and win, without Mercedes and RB in the mix :D

geogate
geogate

chrisc90 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 10:30
Nobody will go out their way to ‘offer’ to change a part on a car that they are certain complies to all regulation. Only way you would ‘offer to change’ it is you know it’s a grey area and you’ve been found out, or the FIA had had a chat with you and said we going to ban this with a technical directive/ or goes against one already in place.
They see which way the wind is blowing. The third brake pedal was legal, before they made it illegal. That didn't make the car retroactively illegal.
If the FIA want it gone, you cant argue the case, they make the rules. If the FIA were claiming the wing is illegal, then they would argue the case as they would be sanctioned for it. But it wasn't, so they aren't.
The fact they are voluntarily changing it pretty much proves it was legal to the technical regulations.

SilviuAgo

WOW, what a mighty lap from Lando..1:29:6. Amazing confidence in the car.

Emag
Emag

Lando is just on rails at the moment. Not sure if they're showing a bit more than others with engine modes, but I am really annoyed with Oscar being 8 tenths off. That is not acceptable if it remains in qualifying. If the car is good, they have to lock out the front row.

Darth-Piekus

We definately don't need anyone else than Piastri next to Lando. Piastri has to improve quickly as 7 tenths is very bad and I don't believe Oscar forgot how to drive from one race to the next.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

[-o<
Emag wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 12:26
Lando is just on rails at the moment. Not sure if they're showing a bit more than others with engine modes, but I am really annoyed with Oscar being 8 tenths off. That is not acceptable if it remains in qualifying. If the car is good, they have to lock out the front row.
If i looked Piastri’s time i would say it is normal fp3 engine mode. It is when Norris feels the car and the circuit. It reminds me of Spa 2021. I hope it will end as pole position.

Emag
Emag

Yeah the guy left nothing on the table. Need to convert it for quali though, doesn't matter if you're fast in an FP session.

SilviuAgo

So from FP3, Lando's good evolution continues,
Oscar is closer (but not enough for a Pole fight at this moment), Russell is back on cards (and is something driver related because Hamilton is still far), Ferrari seems to took a step back with overnight setup change, and Max is looking way better than yesterday (also driver related because Perez is nowhere).

mwillems

It's not modes between the drivers, Piastri can't get on with the setup. I've a feeling he's struggling to get the balance right for the point and squirt whilst keeping the front sharp. I can't see him improving but let's hope.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Norris went out for a second lap and did a laptime that would be good enough for P1, about a tenth or two ahead of Russel. Insane pace.

I am still worried a bit as it seems that there are big swings depending on the tire. On Mediums today Ferrari looked good but they are no where on the softs. Red Bull looked good on mediums as well, they are decent on softs but still a big gap.

Could it be that Norris is capable of keeping the tire from overheating while the others struggle? He is taking a lot of kerb, much more than others.

mwillems

Leclerc did an odd double warm up to see if it helps the tyres, so he is likely faster than what he posted. But still clearly with a bit of a gap.

-Bandit