2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DRS
DRS

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 12:27
Nah these tyres are fked mate, look at these ridiculous gaps between team mates,
Russell must constantly get the best tyres then....

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
Nah these tyres are fked mate, look at these ridiculous gaps between team mates,
What is the baseline then? Although I was on board with Hamilton and Russell. The former seemed to not be pushing hard on his lap. Russell was pushing a lot harder. Maybe their outlap prep was different? I think the gap to each other is more 0.2 than what we saw now. We can only tell in quali now.

ToffeeTyres
ToffeeTyres

These tyres are shocking this year no consistency at all. It’s like different tyres for different team mates. Temperatures or pressures or simply Pirelli still not having a clue

SKYnRacing24

DRS wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 12:36
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
Russell made the comments about Pirelli. Just remember that. The fact the Ferrari's are nowhere all of a sudden and Piastri is 7 tenths off his team mate would point to that. Lewis is struggling but i said last week that would be expected. I don't know why you lot keep banging on about it. He has NO confidence atm. Russell's driving style in qualy just works with these tyres. The engineers don't know why. Pirelli doesn't and Toto just said they don't know why even when they changed certain components. The blind leading the blind.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

PlatinumZealot

It will be a relief for Hamilton when the season is over. This season is probably worse than 2022 even though he has 2 wins and doing decent in the championship?

Russell has definitely found something when it comes to driving the W15 in qualifying.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Luscion
Luscion

Toto said they're on different setups, that they tried a few things of Lewis' car and Russell's car performing well is because "We turned the car upside down, literally. Seems to be in a much better balance window." i'd expect Lewis to take Russell's setup for quali

DRS
DRS

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 12:49
DRS wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 12:36
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
Russell made the comments about Pirelli. Just remember that. The fact the Ferrari's are nowhere all of a sudden and Piastri is 7 tenths off his team mate would point to that. Lewis is struggling but i said last week that would be expected. I don't know why you lot keep banging on about it. He has NO confidence atm. Russell's driving style in qualy just works with these tyres. The engineers don't know why. Pirelli doesn't and Toto just said they don't know why even when they changed certain components. The blind leading the blind.
The comments mean little when Russell is fighting for a front row and Hamilton is fighting for Q3.

SKYnRacing24

It means little outside your lil bubble because you have no perception on Hamiltons reality. Your in denial phase its okay mate.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

atanatizante

It seems that in FP3 top teams, except Ferrari, were trying to feel how the car behaved between a 1-stop and a 2-stop race setup seeing that each team's drivers being 7,8,9 tenths between them ...

Worth mentioning that the first hot lap was the fastest for all faster drivers, meaning they could warm up the tyres sooner and get them into their optimum working window hence they were simulating a 2-stop race setup, coz here the wear is higher than usual.

HAM seems to have a better car now after the sim session that Vesti did in the late night hours, but the car has no bite to the front end ... maybe the setup didn't allow the car to get the fronts faster - as RUS did - into their window and again had some understeer but not to the degree he had on Friday, which presumably was dialed in in order to protect the rear tyres ... so all those above signs tell us that the car was setup for a 1-stop race and we will see that tomorrow if that was the case or not ...

Now looking back to last year's race when 2-stops seemed to be the better strategy here and bearing in mind that there is another DRS zone but mostly there is a high chance of an SC/VSC phase it didn`t seem to be a far-fetched scenario after all, don`t you think guys?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

If you are sacrificing 8 tenths to put a setup on the car, you are doomed in Singapore. I also don't see how a one stop setup would be 8 tenths slower.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

atanatizante wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:37
It seems that in FP3 top teams, except Ferrari, were trying to feel how the car behaved between a 1-stop and a 2-stop race setup seeing that each team's drivers being 7,8,9 tenths between them ...

Worth mentioning that the first hot lap was the fastest for all faster drivers, meaning they could warm up the tyres sooner and get them into their optimum working window hence they were simulating a 2-stop race setup, coz here the wear is higher than usual.

HAM seems to have a better car now after the sim session that Vesti did in the late night hours, but the car has no bite to the front end ... maybe the setup didn't allow the car to get the fronts faster - as RUS did - into their window and again had some understeer but not to the degree he had on Friday, which presumably was dialed in in order to protect the rear tyres ... so all those above signs tell us that the car was setup for a 1-stop race and we will see that tomorrow if that was the case or not ...

Now looking back to last year's race when 2-stops seemed to be the better strategy here and bearing in mind that there is another DRS zone but mostly there is a high chance of an SC/VSC phase it didn`t seem to be a far-fetched scenario after all, don`t you think guys?
This does make a huge amount of sense...but also 0.8 over a race distance means the 1 stopper will be out by 40 seconds at the end of the grand prix. So 2 stop is the way to go then?

DRS
DRS

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:44
If you are sacrificing 8 tenths to put a setup on the car, you are doomed in Singapore. I also don't see how a one stop setup would be 8 tenths slower.
That idea is absurd, absolute lunacy. Hamilton is trying his best to qualify as high as possible, make no mistake about that.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

DRS wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:51
FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:44
That idea is absurd, absolute lunacy. Hamilton is trying his best to qualify as high as possible, make no mistake about that.
Well you only qualify as high as your setup allows you to. Toto did say they tried 2 different setups for each car. I expect hamilton to merge with Russell's side of the garage. Albeit he will still be about 0.2/0.3 off Russell in raw quali trim.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Luscion wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:13
Toto said they're on different setups, that they tried a few things of Lewis' car and Russell's car performing well is because "We turned the car upside down, literally. Seems to be in a much better balance window." i'd expect Lewis to take Russell's setup for quali
They keep saying it whenever Lewis has a difficult session. It has become a routine now.

One thing that Antonelli is going to inherit, is a clueless garage, other than getting into a team that is scratching the barrel to find performance and the beginning of an exercise to understand the black art of those garbage Pirellis.

Quantum

Dunlay wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:57
Luscion wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:13
They keep saying it whenever Lewis has a difficult session. It has become a routine now.

One thing that Antonelli is going to inherit, is a clueless garage, other than getting into a team that is scratching the barrel to find performance and the beginning of an exercise to understand the black art of those garbage Pirellis.
Same tyres. Same team. Same car.
Russell is simply outperforming him this weekend up to FP3.
If Hamilton takes Russell's set up he will do much better, hopefully anyway.
"Interplay of triads"