2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Given that Piastri improved by 1.6, I just have a feeling Norris is on it today.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

the tyre pressure thing will be a bit concerning for ferrari fans - I was suspecting a bit of gamesmanship until they did something last minute that clearly was going to get them in front of the stewards - looked like some low key panic going on

Darth-Piekus

My opinion is go for a very quick first one lap. The car should be able to manage and I don't see the tarmac improving anymore.

We all wish for a normal procedure this time and both of our drivers give it their all and if possible secure the 1-2.

mwillems

Wow, Zak is properly laying into Christian Horner.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/brown ... /10656399/

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:15
FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:14
Ferrari/Leclerc referred to the stewards for changing pressures. Probably just a team penalty.
Just saw in the Ferrari thread. When was the tyre pressure adjustment? Pre fast lap?
For his second run on the soft- right at the end
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Nearly a second down. Tyres may be part of it, but something else is there and if it isn't a bad setup I don't see it coming back.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 14:03

And kudos to him to lay it properly on Red Bull. This team has to much toxicity inside.

Emag
Emag

Having seen how things have transpired, I am positively confident that under a different technical leadership, McLaren should have had a car good enough to fight for occasional victories since 2021. Need to see how they develop next year and into the new regs of 2026 to confirm this, but I genuinely believe James Key is incompetent as a technical director. He took a great concept left by Pat Fry in 2019. Developed it in 2020 and 2021 but relatively speaking, they remained stationary. Just flattered by Ferrari hitting a slump with their PU and Aston complaining about low rake cars being screwed for 2021.

He lost the development war with Ferrari during 2021 and proceeded to go with the most cautious approach one could possibly have for the 2022 rules (just go back and look how barren of interesting features that car looks, except maybe the rear suspension). Stuck in limbo with the 2022 car, even though they had hopes the French GP upgrade package will break them free of the midfield.

Then, completely change concept for 2023, only to mess it up in a spectacular fashion. I am pretty sure that poor reaction from James Key regarding the lack of pace as well as the lukewarm development plans probably triggered an uproar within the factory from people who were likely not listened to, just because they fell lower in the hierarchy.

No competent individual would have ever developed a car that was initially the slowest on the grid while having a technical rooster like the one McLaren had plus the facilities McLaren had. To be outdeveloped by Haas and Williams (which at the time was still building up) is embarrassing.

And look what he is doing at Sauber. Car started slowest, 3 upgrades later, they are still the slowest. Grant it, it's a transition year for them preparing for the Audi takeover, but being dead last with zero points scored? It's impressive when you consider that freaking Alpine who started with an overweight dog of a car has scored 13.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 14:16
mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 14:03

And kudos to him to lay it properly on Red Bull. This team has to much toxicity inside.
I'd rather Zak not be throwing shade, seems a bit un Mckaren like, which is to be above it a bit.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I have one question about the rear wings here in Singapore. Yesterday in both Friday sessions Lando was running with a Netherlands spec rear wing, but Oscar was running either Monaco or Barcelona spec. So, did Oscar have a Netherlands spec rear wing in FP3 or not? I can't figure out where exactly he's losing time compared to Lando.

The Netherlands spec has slightly less downforce and therefore higher top speed on the straights. It can also contribute to more neutral steering, rather than understeer, as is the case with the Monaco spec.

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 14:23
I'd rather Zak not be throwing shade, seems a bit un Mckaren like, which is to be above it a bit.
Personally I'm of the opinion that Red Bull deserve to get a lot of flak for all those years of constant whining. They are doing that from 2015. Every team has highs and lows. In Greece we say that every team has a moon. Perhaps it's the moon of Mclaren this time and I don't see why Red Bull is making such a fuss over a team that has done a better job for once.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 14:26
I have one question about the rear wings here in Singapore. Yesterday in both Friday sessions Lando was running with a Netherlands spec rear wing, but Oscar was running either Monaco or Barcelona spec. So, did Oscar have a Netherlands spec rear wing in FP3 or not? I can't figure out where exactly he's losing time compared to Lando.

The Netherlands spec has slightly less downforce and therefore higher top speed on the straights. It can also contribute to more neutral steering, rather than understeer, as is the case with the Monaco spec.
Zandvoort, both running the same I believe. Like last year, they did not run max DF.

Bear in mind that Oscar struggled here a lot last year, although not helped by a red flag.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Sep 2024, 14:47, edited 3 times in total.

-Bandit

wickedz50
wickedz50

Very important session coming up for Lando. Minimum top 3 required for any chance of a WDC fight. Best of luck to him and the team.

bananapeel23

Darth-Piekus wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 14:32
mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 14:23
Personally I'm of the opinion that Red Bull deserve to get a lot of flak for all those years of constant whining. They are doing that from 2015. Every team has highs and lows. In Greece we say that every team has a moon. Perhaps it's the moon of Mclaren this time and I don't see why Red Bull is making such a fuss over a team that has done a better job for once.
Every single team whines. Red Bull just does it very openly. Ferrari for instance will whine to the FIA alongside Red Bull and then stay quiet while Red Bull airs their grievances to the media. Red Bull is not any more whiny than other teams, just more public.

deadhead

wickedz50 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 14:41
Very important session coming up for Lando. Minimum top 3 required for any chance of a WDC fight. Best of luck to him and the team.
Bar any mistakes the car should put him on pole here. VER needs to finish 5th or bellow tomorrow for things to get interesting