2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Autobahn303
Autobahn303

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 16:28
Had a bad feeling the red flag was gonna mess up Leclerc and his reference points further as the track gets colder and it happened... Incredible how a shower washing the track down cost them so much in the end, they don't seem to able to quickly get the info on track grip levels and react on it on the track itself, same lower grip (than expected) hurt them a lot in China

Gonna be very hard to make up positions tomorrow, might be best to lower the pace and go long on Mediums (or full pace on Hards) and switch to Softs later. Leclerc has one set with a in-out laps and Sainz has another new set. Using softs at the start is gonna end up wasting them in the race
What do you reckon? H-M or M-H? How abrasive is this track?

Vanja #66

Emag wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 16:32
Lap was gone by T1 already. The rest is kind of useless because Charles was probably fuming :

https://streamin.me/v/837e4c01
Honestly, no way that front left didn't touch the white line, they should make an appeal to see the evidence.

I don't think he was fuming, track went away and his references were all mixed up for sure. I feel like he should have backed down and put a banker in, not go for all in in this situation, but not being in a title fight himself and Sainz already losing a lot of points and grid positions two races in a row make a big blow to WCC chances... it hardly makes a difference
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ScuderiaLeo

Leclerc interview:

The tires weren't ready at all, not even halfway ready. I left the pits and they were at minus... I don't even know how many degrees, 10 or 12 degrees, at the front. I don't know why. This was the only time it happened, and it was our only shot. I did my best to put them in the right temperature during the out lap, but it was hopeless. I arrived at T1 and knew it was bad. I went wide, and I knew it was going to be disastrous. I'm really disappointed because we did everything possible to make it to Q3 strong, and then we have this random issue. All I can say is that I'm disappointed. We had the potential for a 1-2 if we took risks in Q3, but we couldn't even do that because the tires weren't ready.

I don't want to talk about the race yet. For now, I'm too upset. We know how important qualifying is for this track, so the chance of winning is almost zero. I don't know what can be done from P9. We had the potential for much more and we wasted it. I'll reset and come back 100% tomorrow like usual, but for now, I'm disappointed. Maybe we can finish P5 or P6... P3, if there's a miracle.
Vasseur interview:

Charles went too wide at T2 so we were hit with track limits. And since we only had one shot in Q3 due to the red flag, as a result, we ended with no time. That's both cars without a time in Q3. It's a shame since we had pace before. Now, we just need to prepare for tomorrow. We've always had a better race pace than qualifying this year. It's not easy to overtake, but there are opportunities when it comes to strategy.

About Charles and the red flag, both driver error and tire temperature issues are possible. Conditions are difficult here, FP3 the track was hot, in qualifying it was cold. You can see the struggle with temperatures with everybody after the red flag. I think it was a succession of small mistakes. For Charles, he started the lap with the right temperature, so I need to talk to him about it.
So... the drivers and teams are giving opposite opinions on what happened... #-o

[Edit] From a different interview from Vasseur:

Maybe we waited too long, we didn't want to be the first on track but this caused us to wait a bit in the pit lane. We were going for pole, so we waited as long as possible. We need to properly look at what happened with Charles' tires. Maybe it was a blanket issue, maybe the waiting, maybe something else.
Last edited by ScuderiaLeo on 21 Sep 2024, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

I mean, unless Leclerc hit some sort of placebo effect, the car was visually handling pretty bad in T1.

bananapeel23

Autobahn303 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 16:34
Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 16:28
Had a bad feeling the red flag was gonna mess up Leclerc and his reference points further as the track gets colder and it happened... Incredible how a shower washing the track down cost them so much in the end, they don't seem to able to quickly get the info on track grip levels and react on it on the track itself, same lower grip (than expected) hurt them a lot in China

Gonna be very hard to make up positions tomorrow, might be best to lower the pace and go long on Mediums (or full pace on Hards) and switch to Softs later. Leclerc has one set with a in-out laps and Sainz has another new set. Using softs at the start is gonna end up wasting them in the race
What do you reckon? H-M or M-H? How abrasive is this track?
Probably starting on the softs. If there is lap 1 carnage they get a better launch and then get to switch tyres for free. If not, they get a good launch and can easily hunt down the midfielders, then pit early onto hards and go long.

codetower

How frustrating….

Anyway, gotta go H-M and hope for a late yellow/red, thats the only option i think. Have to do opposite of the front-runners. I think at this point P6-P7 is the best we can achieve at this track without any help.

killua
killua

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 16:54
Leclerc interview:

The tires weren't ready at all, not even halfway ready. I left the pits and they were at minus... I don't even know how many degrees, 10 or 12 degrees, at the front. I don't know why, maybe the blankets stopped working. This was the only time it happened, and it was our only shot. I did my best to put them in the right temperature during the out lap, but it was hopeless. I arrived at T1 and knew it was bad. I went wide, and I knew it was going to be disastrous. I'm really disappointed because we did everything possible to make it to Q3 strong, and then we have this random issue. All I can say is that I'm disappointed. We had the potential for a 1-2 if we took risks in Q3, but we couldn't even do that because the tires weren't ready.

I don't want to talk about the race yet. For now, I'm too upset. We know how important qualifying is for this track, so the chance of winning is almost zero. I don't know what can be done from P9. We had the potential for much more and we wasted it. I'll reset and come back 100% tomorrow like usual, but for now, I'm disappointed. Maybe we can finish P5 or P6... P3, if there's a miracle.
Vasseur interview:

Charles went too wide at T2 so we were hit with track limits. And since we only had one shot in Q3 due to the red flag, as a result, we ended with no time. That's both cars without a time in Q3. It's a shame since we had pace before. Now, we just need to prepare for tomorrow. We've always had a better race pace than qualifying this year. It's not easy to overtake, but there are opportunities when it comes to strategy.

About Sainz and the red flag, both driver error and tire temperature issues are possible. Conditions are difficult here, FP3 the track was hot, in qualifying it was cold. You can see the struggle with temperatures with everybody after the red flag. I think it was a succession of small mistakes. For Leclerc, he started the lap with the right temperature, so I need to talk to him about it.
So... the drivers and teams are giving directly opposite opinions on what happened... #-o
But in another interview, Fred just said Charles tyres just went wrong, either lost temperature bc waiting in pitlane or bc the blanket.

ScuderiaLeo

killua wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 17:02
But in another interview, Fred just said Charles tyres just went wrong, either lost temperature bc waiting in pitlane or bc the blanket.
Yes, I just edited with that interview as well to my post.

These interviews are happening live and with different news stations, so I'm guessing they're getting new information between them.

jumpingfish

Leclerc came out of the garage just after McLaren, but ended up behind Alonso. As Alonso crawled slowly along the pitlane, Hulkenberg came out. Now they say the tyres cooled down in the pitlane? Question: What were Ferrari waiting for in the garage with the timer counting down from 8:04?

.Bole
.Bole

I dont trust zero what Vasseur is saying, there has been interviews in mid season when we were having issues and he was like its drivers, perf is there

Sevach
Sevach

The car was the best on the M-H, but i don't how to use all this pace.

Hopefully the 2 DRS zones late in the lap allow some overtaking, so we can at least get on the back of the Piastri and the Mercs.

Emag
Emag

Do we know if Carlos needs to take another gearbox?

Or am I a little bit too old school and somehow missed there are no longer penalties for changing gearboxes now? :lol:

edu2703
edu2703

In normal racing circumstances, P6 is the best we can achieve tomorrow. But I can already foresee the pain of being several laps behind a slower car because it's not possible to overtake on this track.

We can only finish higher than P6 with a lot of luck, which we didn't have today.

ScuderiaLeo

Emag wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 17:25
Do we know if Carlos needs to take another gearbox?

Or am I a little bit too old school and somehow missed there are no longer penalties for changing gearboxes now? :lol:
Sainz said in his interview to Sky that he doesn't know the condition of the gearbox yet, and he doesn't want to imply anything without knowing more.

If he does take a new one, I believe it would be a penalty. (Someone can double check.) But maybe they'll just use an old one.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Shocked to see LeClerc with 'NO TIME'.

Sainz... well he is the guy having a gala time, enjoying himself, with no concern for the team - he could have easily bailed out once the car started snap oversteering and he just kept pressing the throttle... Of all the top 4 teams, he is the guy whom I have seen (over many years) being incapable of recovering from an 'error' (probably has 95%+ error to crash conversion ratio).

Did Ferrari change the car after FP2 ? (because in the FP3 highlights I watched Ferrari were struggling)
Did Ferrari goof up their 'when to go for outlap' in the shortened Q3 ?
Why were the tyres not warmed up enough ? was it the waiting in the pitlane or the tyre blankets or the nature of the outlap ?