2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Lewis has shown in the past that his Q performance in particular is highly dependent on his mental and emotional state. I think there is some "wear" that has got to him with age, because you can't avoid biology, but I also really think he just hasn't been on the best state mentally this season. Left Mercedes for Ferrari, that's got to trigger something within you. It's the team that gave you all the records and you're leaving them, but you also have to do this last season with them.

Then your teammate is flying, and you don't feel at your best. For a while there you could see Lewis was losing confidence in himself with some of the comments he is been making. Especially that one after Monza when he said they will probably be better with Kimi next year. Things like that are psychological indicators to me.

I think it's too early to discount Lewis just on the basis of this season. We have to see how will he perform next year at Ferrari, and if the run of disappointing performances continues, then all of this bad-mouthing he has received here, would be better justified.

Henri
Henri

I have a feeling Lewis will win if he gets a great start

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

DGP123 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 16:35
Lasssept wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 16:31
HAM - P3

Whaaat ? =D>
Two hours ago, according to some, he was finished, needed retiring, and was going to be embarrassed by Russell in Q.

Love this thread.
Yes “new member” DRS is very quiet right now. He swore russel was going to blow away Lewis by 7 tenths.

Sevach
Sevach

I think this one time his late set up change worked because Hamilton was indeed nowhere in FP3, good.

DRS
DRS

Hammerfist wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 16:44
DGP123 wrote:
Lasssept wrote:
HAM - P3

Whaaat ? =D>
Two hours ago, according to some, he was finished, needed retiring, and was going to be embarrassed by Russell in Q.

Love this thread.
Yes “new member” DRS is very quiet right now. He swore russel was going to blow away Lewis by 7 tenths.
Notice how you fail to mention Russell's struggles in which he was clearly very vocal over? An impressive turn around from Lewis, the first he's done it all season.

Luscion
Luscion

DRS wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 17:09
Hammerfist wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 16:44
DGP123 wrote:

Love this thread.
Notice how you fail to mention Russell's struggles in which he was clearly very vocal over? An impressive turn around from Lewis, the first he's done it all season.
its funny because just a couple pages ago you were invalidating Lewis' struggles with his tires, anyways good job from both of them, second row lockout

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

This is a good recovery. I don't understand it, but it is what it is. :lol:
A lion must kill its prey.

venkyhere
venkyhere

DGP123 wrote:
Lasssept wrote:
HAM - P3

Whaaat ? =D>

Love this thread.
I am not a HAM fan, so usually dont care for the barbs and brickbats in this thread.
However, I consider HAM, VER and LEC as the only 'truly elite' drivers in current day F1 - it may not show up in results or stats or 'data' ; but in terms of 'pure talent' these three are one tier above the rest.

Which is why I am pleasantly surprised that HAM delivered in the Quali that actually matters for the race. Can't imagine how RUS's ego will be deflated now - looked 1/2 a second quicker than HAM in 3 practice sessions, yet ended up being slower when it really mattered. Because a huge part of his 'racing ethos' seems to be tuned more towards 'beating HAM' rather than his position in the race - this is an inference I have, from his car's body language on race day; and his body language and media bytes before/after the race ; right from 2022 until now.

SKYnRacing24

lmao i don't think even they do evidenced by Russells interviews . Lewis mentioned the tyres just switched on and the car had front grip again. Toto said it came down to down to getting the tyres in the window and keeping it there. Weird Weird things going on with there tyres. Its all coming down that these tyres can't handle the demands of these cars. Now Ferrari have experienced what Lewis was going through with the tyre pressures being to low or not heating up at all. Its not good enough and gives the impression of a crap product when teams up and down the grid have been experiencing the inconsistencies. Sigh.

Race pace wise i don't know where we will be, The car has been turned upside down so could eat tyres or could come into there own like they did in SPA.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Jurgen von Diaz

venkyhere wrote: I am not a HAM fan, so usually dont care for the barbs and brickbats in this thread.
However, I consider HAM, VER and LEC as the only 'truly elite' drivers in current day F1 - it may not show up in results or stats or 'data' ; but in terms of 'pure talent' these three are one tier above the rest.
No Norris? So he's just sailing on luck and waiting for the championship to fall into his lap.

Leclerc hasn't yet proven that his mind game can handle a championship battle. He tried in '22, but errors became to the picture.

Henri
Henri

https://x.com/F1BigData/status/1837502429719412849 car looks good a win looking close here 😃

j_ste
j_ste

Just watching Q3 again. Lando goes nowhere near the curb when crossing the finish line. Lewis is straddling the curb when crossing the finish line.

That McLaren is something else

Vanja #66

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 18:18
Leclerc hasn't yet proven that his mind game can handle a championship battle. He tried in '22, but errors became to the picture.
Nothing like inventing stories of recent events :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 18:32
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 18:18
Nothing like inventing stories of recent events :mrgreen:
The famous quote comes to mind...never let facts get in the way of a good narrative

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

j_ste wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 18:20
Just watching Q3 again. Lando goes nowhere near the curb when crossing the finish line. Lewis is straddling the curb when crossing the finish line.

That McLaren is something else
I agree. The McLaren has so much more pace than the others. Lando should disappear tomorrow but that might not be the smartest thing to do at this venue. An ill timed safety car can allow others to pit and steal your position if you are too far ahead.