2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marc.W

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Perfect race today from both drivers and the strategy team!

Emag
Emag

It is what it is about the fastest lap. Can't do anything about it.

Car was really really fast here, Lando had some scares so I am pretty sure he was backing off in the second stint a little bit, could have had 30+ gap by the end.
Super disappointed with Oscar, the car should have had 1-2 if they maximized it. The pace in dirty air is so bad and he needs to work a little bit on that. It's very critical because you won't be having fresh air at every track to use the pace.

RedBull did much better than expected here, but Lando still had it covered. It's just annoying that Ferrari wasn't there to take P2 away since Oscar couldn't. They do have an upgrade for Austin but so do McLaren (I think). If their upgrade works and they still have a gap over RedBull after Austin, they do have a shot until the end assuming they maximize everything.

Ben1980
Ben1980

People wanted a dominant drive, they got one.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

I would not surprise that even they can crash on Norris in some point in coming races to aid Max.......

Slahinki
Slahinki

A 1-3 is great, but Piastri finishing over 40 seconds behind his team mate just isn't good enough. Maybe I'm harsh, but he needs to be closer and finish between Max and Lando.

Darth-Piekus

Shame on Red Bull using underhanded tactics with their B-Team to steal points from those who won it fair and square. B-Teams should not exist in F1.

mendis
mendis

Slahinki wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 15:51
A 1-3 is great, but Piastri finishing over 40 seconds behind his team mate just isn't good enough. Maybe I'm harsh, but he needs to be closer and finish between Max and Lando.
If a circuit is demanding on tyres, that's where Oscar struggles.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Urgh. This thread.

One of the most disappointing things I see on these weekends is the absolute neg ferrets who fester on any ounce of slightly imperfect element of the weekend and then lambast the team or driver for it.

Today we’re seeing people say Piastris p3 and 40s gap to team mate is “unacceptable”.

What don’t you understand? Stop reading the timing charts literally and open your eyes as to what actually happened in the race. He started p5, he had to manage tyre heat like everyone else and settle in behind the Mercs until the race strategy opened up to enable overtakes.

He executed perfectly and his only error this weekend was qualifying P5.

Amazing weekend for the team, two unbelievable young drivers, smashed Max by 30s which will happen very rarely, and extending the lead in the WCC.

Enjoy days like these because RBR are coming with upgrades in Texas.

chrisc90

53points needed, 6 races. 8.8points needed a race. (couple sprints too I think left) Effectively lando to win each race needed

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Do someone have the information on how many SCs Sargent and Latifi caused?
Seems like without this guys there are no safety cars, although some would have been excellent in the last couple of races with Lando in AZBJ and Oscar here.

bananapeel23

Slahinki wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 15:51
He was ultimately limited by being behinds the mercs in the first stint and having to go on a suboptimal strategy of going LOOOOOOOOONG on the mediums. His pace wasn’t 40 seconds off, but the strategy he needed to clear the mercs meant he ended up really far back.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Only way to win now is to have piastri always behind and finish 1-2 every race
Or have piastri slow him down each race

Emag
Emag

It's not really the gap that matters, it's the fact that the car had so much pace in that first stint, especially with the others starting to fall-off so early compared to McLaren.

I mean Lando was taking >=1s from Max at some point and close to 1.5s to George & Lewis each lap.
One has to wonder if Oscar could utilize a similar pace advantage, it might have been enough to overtake Russell on-track before they pit for hards. Would have really given him a chance to catch Max like that.

blastdoman
blastdoman

It takes a week for the FIA to launch a statement without any technical basis against a specific team that has not done anything illegal. Meanwhile, it allows one team to blatantly help another against its rival. I'm not going to say what I think about the FIA, lest the moderators not like it.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Annoying but not surprising to see RBR using the B-team to meddle. Takes the sheen off Daniel's least race for me. Anyway, I don't think it will battery in the end...it will either not be close at all or Oscar can come between Lando and Max a few times in the remaining races to make fastest lap irrelevant