2024 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 20 - 22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 20 - 22

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:42
Dannys interview with Lawerence Boretto on F1Tv. Oh man.... Emotional.

This was his last race
It's really a pity that he couldn't rediscover his form.
A lion must kill its prey.

avantman
avantman

DDopey wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:40
Quantum wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:03
Tvetovnato wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 15:56
Never been a fan of the fastest lap point but today it really stinks, especially when a satellite team is the one being played with. Since they are insistant of keeping the rule, at least make it count only for the fastest lap among the top 10 drivers or something like that. Seems wrong that a driver that has nothing to do with the fight is able to impact the points handed out in the end.
Agreed. Red Bull might deny it, but if Max wins it by a point it will be because of this.
Totally wrong
If Norris loses by a point, McLaren has only themselves to blame. They had every chance to get Lando a couple more points.
'norris already collected 2 more points than max for fastest laps this year. let's be honest, the rule is ---, has always been ---, this rule has no place in formula 1, and I was talking about that since a long time ago, that one day it will lead to a controversy. I'm hopeful now questions will be raised and the point for fastest lap will be abandoned for good.
if max loses by point this year, it will be only because of this silly rule. that was always the worst scenario for me to see points for fastest laps decide the champion.
thanks to RB and daniel for going for it. hope see more of this. hopefully max and lando will be dead equal on points for fastest laps in the end and this rule wont be deciding factor.

mvfad

TFSA wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:39
No it isn't. Backmarkers pitting late and taking FL (even if they don't get a point) when they have the chance, just to make a statement, is not uncommon in F1.
  • Alpine takes a late FL, despite being out of the points? Oh i guess they can do that.
  • Haas doing the same (as they did on Lap 54 in this race with Magnussen, but he lost it to track limits)? Well, why not, his race was effed anyway.
  • Ricciardo doing it for VCARB? OH THEY MUST BE HELPING RED BULL.
You can't build a conspiracy on something that happens regularly and is fairly normal.
of course, for sure :lol: :-" \:D/ :-#

avantman
avantman

ispano6 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:47
They can ask Checo to fastest lap every race and sacrifice the WCC for Max's WDC. WCC is out of reach already. Yuki could also go for fastest lap to impress RB.
2nd place it Constructors cannot be a sacrifice. it's only makes sense to finish 3rd deliberately in order to get more development allocation in a position red bull found themselves now in. It's not really smart to refer to Red bull as a team battling for WCC having 3rd - 4th fastest car. They are in the fight for the only meaningful championship that is.

ispano6

There are still sprint races to throw in the spanner. Kmag got pole in Brazil before. It's not like Lando and Max will always be 1-2.

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

TFSA wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:39
mvfad wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:31
I don't think there are any naive children here and it's quite clear what RedBull did with their B team.
No it isn't. Backmarkers pitting late and taking FL (even if they don't get a point) when they have the chance, just to make a statement, is not uncommon in F1.
  • Alpine takes a late FL, despite being out of the points? Oh i guess they can do that.
  • Haas doing the same (as they did on Lap 54 in this race with Magnussen, but he lost it to track limits)? Well, why not, his race was effed anyway.
  • Ricciardo doing it for VCARB? OH THEY MUST BE HELPING RED BULL.

You can't build a conspiracy on something that happens regularly and is fairly normal.
For one weekend if RB takes FL at the end of the race by deliberately stopping for soft tyres it's fine as i don't mind that, but what if in remaining all races they continue the same trend to steal FL at the end of the race by pitting last at last couple of laps and then steal from only Norris then would you be fine with that?

ispano6

The rule is that you only can get a point if you're in the points. There is no rule saying you have to be in the points to get the fastest lap.

Carmack

Paa wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:25
erudite450 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 15:48
That's poor sportsmanship by RB pitting Ricciardo to take away Norris' fastest lap point.
This is rich coming after what Norris did to Perez in Baku.
I'm not saying either is wrong, this is racing, just please try not to be a hypocrite.
What did he do differently than Perez in Abu Dhabi 21, putting on his handbrake against Hamilton...get real

Tommy.G
Tommy.G

So quite a lucky double header for Max…this was supposed to bring Norris within 30-40 points of Max considering the pace deficit of the Red Bull! But the Ferraris and Piastri saved another day for him…

So I think now the drivers championship is pretty much done and dusted…there’s no way Lando is closing that gap plus the Red Bull looks promising pace wise!

TFSA

cliffgamerz wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:09
For one weekend if RB takes FL at the end of the race by deliberately stopping for soft tyres it's fine as i don't mind that, but what if in remaining all races they continue the same trend to steal FL at the end of the race by pitting last at last couple of laps and then steal from only Norris then would you be fine with that?
Depends on the circumstances. If you're out of the points and don't stand to lose anything (Ricciardo was close to dead last, in what is likely his last race), then as i said, backmarkers doing this isn't uncommon. If it's done systematically, then of course - but we're just imagining things right now. That hasn't happened yet.

The thing about me is that i hate conspiracies, so if people are gonna make them, then they need to do better than pointing to something that simply isn't that uncommon. Otherwise I'm inclined to crack down on it. :mrgreen:

I don't see anything suspicious about what happened here, other than the fact it was done by VCARB. If it was done by any other team, then nobody would bat an eye. Max getting told Lando lost FL in a championship battle isn't suspicious either - we've seen it happen before, because drivers are naturally curious about how much they gained/lost, just as Lando frequently also got told he got DotD by his engineer at the end of races. And Max thanking Ricciardo for it is not unreasonable either, because they have a history as teammates - especially if he also knows that its Ricciardos last race.

So at best, you have one suspicious indicator, which is already shaky. You need more - this hardly even qualifies as a conspiracy. :roll:

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Tommy.G wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:22
So quite a lucky double header for Max…this was supposed to bring Norris within 30-40 points of Max considering the pace deficit of the Red Bull! But the Ferraris and Piastri saved another day for him…

So I think now the drivers championship is pretty much done and dusted…there’s no way Lando is closing that gap plus the Red Bull looks promising pace wise!
Redbull does not look promising pace wise at all. This weekend Mercedes completely fudged their strategy, Ferrari forgot how to qualify and Piastri also didn't qualify as well as he should have. Those are the only reasons why it looks somewhat rosy for Redbull. They are way off the mclaren and the Ferrari and Merc can beat them depending on the track.

mzso
mzso

avantman wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:50
DDopey wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:40
Quantum wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:03

Agreed. Red Bull might deny it, but if Max wins it by a point it will be because of this.
Totally wrong
If Norris loses by a point, McLaren has only themselves to blame. They had every chance to get Lando a couple more points.
'norris already collected 2 more points than max for fastest laps this year. let's be honest, the rule is ---, has always been ---, this rule has no place in formula 1, and I was talking about that since a long time ago, that one day it will lead to a controversy. I'm hopeful now questions will be raised and the point for fastest lap will be abandoned for good.
if max loses by point this year, it will be only because of this silly rule. that was always the worst scenario for me to see points for fastest laps decide the champion.
thanks to RB and daniel for going for it. hope see more of this. hopefully max and lando will be dead equal on points for fastest laps in the end and this rule wont be deciding factor.
So? Technically fastest laps already were deciding in the championship. If Lewis got one more than he would have been champion. A point is a point, a driver just needs to score the most, no matter how it's awarded.

mzso
mzso

Xero wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:44
chrisc90 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:42
Dannys interview with Lawerence Boretto on F1Tv. Oh man.... Emotional.

This was his last race
Definitely sounded like it! Will be sad to lose him, but everyone has their time.
This sounds like quite a conjecture. No reports of him not finishing the year so far.

bananapeel23

Hammerfist wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:32
Tommy.G wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:22

Redbull does not look promising pace wise at all. This weekend Mercedes completely fudged their strategy, Ferrari forgot how to qualify and Piastri also didn't qualify as well as he should have. Those are the only reasons why it looks somewhat rosy for Redbull. They are way off the mclaren and the Ferrari and Merc can beat them depending on the track.
They need a huge jump in Austin if Max wants to win the WDC with any degree of comfort.

Paa

Carmack wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:15
Paa wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:25
erudite450 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 15:48
That's poor sportsmanship by RB pitting Ricciardo to take away Norris' fastest lap point.
This is rich coming after what Norris did to Perez in Baku.
I'm not saying either is wrong, this is racing, just please try not to be a hypocrite.
What did he do differently than Perez in Abu Dhabi 21, putting on his handbrake against Hamilton...get real
Where did I say it was wrong?
Read the post again.