2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

bananapeel23 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:46
I’ve said if before and I’ll say it again.

Lando is not a true top driver. Verstappen, Hamilton, Leclerc and probably even Alonso would easily win the WDC in the McLaren. No top driver has any business losing the WDC in that car. Verstappen or Hamilton would probably get 12-15 wins in a car that dominant. Leclerc or Alonso probably 9-13.

Norris is really good, but he’s more of a Button or Massa or Rosberg than a Hamilton. He’s barely good enough for a WDC and needs a really dominant car to win one.
You seem to be talking like the car that has been in place the last 4 races was in place the whole season.

Ben1980
Ben1980

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:52
Max points start of season to Miami: 136points
Lando points start of season to Miami: 83points

Difference of 53points. 12 races on the points gap is the same (by 1 point).

That's quite a fact to bring things down to earth when you consider how well the McLaren car has been since its Miami update and how much the Red Bull fell off.
Even after Miami the Mclaren wasn't substantially faster than the Red Bull for a number of races, at times it wasn't as fast as the Mercedes or Ferrari. It was all pretty even for a while. Then Mclaren took a step, but even then, Max and Red Bull have still been challenging them.

bananapeel23

Ben1980 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:56
chrisc90 wrote:

That's quite a fact to bring things down to earth when you consider how well the McLaren car has been since its Miami update and how much the Red Bull fell off.
Even after Miami the Mclaren wasn't substantially faster than the Red Bull for a number of races, at times it wasn't as fast as the Mercedes or Ferrari. It was all pretty even for a while. Then Mclaren took a step, but even then, Max and Red Bull have still been challenging them.
At worst McLaren was joint fastest, and clearly the fastest at more than half of those. If you win 3/12 races in the best car, you have no business being called a top driver.

For context:

Leclerc has had a car capable of winning three times. He has won twice.

Hamilton has had a car capable of winning twice. He has won twice.

Verstappen has won every race he was capable of winning since Miami except for Austria.

Marc.W

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:53
Just saw the post F1 show with Daniel pretty much admitting doing the fastest lap was for Max. That's definitely against the spirit of the sport. It was a pretty hard watch, with Daniel getting very emotional at the end.
He cost McLaren a lot more than 1 point during his tenure with us, this wont affect anything.

CjC
CjC

CjC wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:37
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:53
Just saw the post F1 show with Daniel pretty much admitting doing the fastest lap was for Max. That's definitely against the spirit of the sport. It was a pretty hard watch, with Daniel getting very emotional at the end.
Name me another situation in professional sport where 2 teams compete against each other and their direct rivals in the same events…..
I’ll say no more

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10657168/
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

Max had an illegal car that was 8 tenths faster than the competition and last year much more than that. Mclaren has been that fast recently but nowhere as dominant as a car. Norris has to battle his own teammate and Max doesnt. Norris has to battle 3 different teams, Max didnt. I would have been surprised if Max didnt win every race with such a dominant car.

CjC
CjC

bananapeel23 wrote:

Lando is not a true top driver. Verstappen, Hamilton, Leclerc and probably even Alonso would easily win the WDC in the McLaren. No top driver has any business losing the WDC in that car. Verstappen or Hamilton would probably get 12-15 wins in a car that dominant. Leclerc or Alonso probably 9-13.

Norris is really good, but he’s more of a Button or Massa or Rosberg than a Hamilton. He’s barely good enough for a WDC and needs a really dominant car to win one.

That car has been at worst joint best at every single race since Miami. 3/18 wins in that car is absolutely pathetic for someone that is touted as a top driver.
He must be *hit if you are comparing him negatively towards 2 WDC in the name of Button and Rosberg

SilviuAgo

bananapeel23 wrote:

That car has been at worst joint best at every single race since Miami. 3/18 wins in that car is absolutely pathetic for someone that is touted as a top driver.
By putting Leclerc there your post lost everything you wanted to point. You already forgot Leclerc masterclass 2022 when he did all the possible mistakes in the world (spin at Imola, crash at Paul Ricard, chaos in Monaco due to pitwall, losing P2 in Suzuka in the last corner to Perez etc etc)? :D
If you forgot, there is something to remember:
https://racingnews365.com/leclerc-refle ... es-in-2022

https://www.racefans.net/2022/10/21/lec ... s-in-2022/

So maybe McLaren is in the same position now, having a very good car but doing strategy errors (like in Silverstone or Monza) or driver couldn't extract all the car potential (Imola or Spain).
I am very happy where McLaren is, where Lando is, how Oscar is performing and like me are a lot of McLaren fans. Taking the positive of a 2024 that didn't start well and looking for 2025 with more than optimism. Cheers!

CjC
CjC

bananapeel23 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:59
Ben1980 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

At worst McLaren was joint fastest, and clearly the fastest at more than half of those. If you win 3/12 races in the best car, you have no business being called a top driver.

For context:

Verstappen has won every race he was capable of winning since Miami except for Austria.
What is your beef with Lando?
When McLaren signed Lando- Hamilton, Leclerc and Verstappen were already signed up to their current teams

CjC
CjC

SilviuAgo wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 19:09
bananapeel23 wrote:

By putting Leclerc there your post lost everything you wanted to point. You already forgot Leclerc masterclass 2022 when he did all the possible mistakes in the world (spin at Imola, crash at Paul Ricard, chaos in Monaco due to pitwall, losing P2 in Suzuka in the last corner to Perez etc etc)? :D
If you forgot, there is something to remember:
https://racingnews365.com/leclerc-refle ... es-in-2022

https://www.racefans.net/2022/10/21/lec ... s-in-2022/

So maybe McLaren is in the same position now, having a very good car but doing strategy errors (like in Silverstone or Monza) or driver couldn't extract all the car potential (Imola or Spain).
I am very happy where McLaren is, where Lando is, how Oscar is performing and like me are a lot of McLaren fans. Taking the positive of a 2024 that didn't start well and looking for 2025 with more than optimism. Cheers!
:lol: =D>

Ben1980
Ben1980

bananapeel23 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:59
Ben1980 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

For context:

That's all overly simplistic. And I'm dishing dinner so can't go back, but off top of my head.

Max V was capable to win Austria but didn't, he was capable in Silverstone aswell.

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 19:07
Max had an illegal car that was 8 tenths faster than the competition and last year much more than that. Mclaren has been that fast recently but nowhere as dominant as a car. Norris has to battle his own teammate and Max doesnt. Norris has to battle 3 different teams, Max didnt. I would have been surprised if Max didnt win every race with such a dominant car.
We don’t have proof that it was illegal. Plenty of times we see that these cars are very tricky to develop. Props to McLaren for achieving what they have now.
Max had to battle Hamilton in 2021 and that’s what makes you WDC material. We’re not going to cry a river that Lando has to do all of these things, that is needed from WDC material driver and quite frankly he still has to prove that, that’s my humble opinion.

Seerix
Seerix

Weird all these people just randomly pop in into McLaren thread with 'Lando is not good enough to win WDC'. I am not sure what the purpose of such messages is?

CjC
CjC

Seerix wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 19:20
Weird all these people just randomly pop in into McLaren thread with 'Lando is not good enough to win WDC'. I am not sure what the purpose of such messages is?
My thoughts as well

Darth-Piekus

IntrinsicVoid wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 19:14
Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 19:07
We don’t have proof that it was illegal. Plenty of times we see that these cars are very tricky to develop. Props to McLaren for achieving what they have now.
Max had to battle Hamilton in 2021 and that’s what makes you WDC material. We’re not going to cry a river that Lando has to do all of these things, that is needed from WDC material driver and quite frankly he still has to prove that, that’s my humble opinion.
You mean the asymmetric braking system that was already been illegal in both 1997 and 1998. Pretty much another form of it wont make it legal.