2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vettel165

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wow by May today. Did his job to perfection. Still has 2 races of a lead with 6 to go. This second place feels like a win..
It was always going to be a bad track for Red Bull and suited to Mclaren. In the next races we have tracks like Austin, Brasil, Mexico, Abu Dhabi in which Max is usually very strong. Hopefully the car will be as well, it is promising. :)
Last edited by Vettel165 on 22 Sep 2024, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter

Top three drivers post RACE press conference | F1 2024 Singapore Grand Prix (Marina Bay). :lol:

The Power of Dreams!

KimiRai
KimiRai

avantman wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:07
this season of Max looks more and more like 2012 of Fernando Alonso
It does remind me a bit like it but let's hope it doesn't end the same way :( , it would be a shame if Max loses this championship due to the car difference despite being the best driver by far. Fingers crossed the Austin parts work well.

McG

What makes you think Max is is the best driver by far. I'll wait.
KimiRai wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:22
avantman wrote:
It does remind me a bit like it but let's hope it doesn't end the same way :( , it would be a shame if Max loses this championship due to the car difference despite being the best driver by far. Fingers crossed the Austin parts work well.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

KimiRai
KimiRai

McG wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:40
KimiRai wrote:
avantman wrote:
Max is the new generational talent after Alonso according to performance models. Roughly 2018 onwards Max became the best driver of the grid, which more or less coincided with Max maturing and starting to become more consistent, and has been ever since (list ends at 2021 but he has been the best in 2022 and 2023 too). Though they are among the best nothing suggests the likes of Norris or Leclerc have taken his place, certainly not the 2024 season.

https://f1-analysis.com/2022/05/31/who-is-the-f1-goat/

Rikhart
Rikhart

McG wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:40
KimiRai wrote:
avantman wrote:
It's due to us actually watching the sport for several years now. In fact, it's quite general knowledge, you just have to read several quotes from the main people across several teams.

langedweil

Calum moving as well ?
Was Dr Obbs on that earlier ?

HuggaWugga !

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh, any comment on today’s performance?
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 00:09
Juzh, any comment on today’s performance?
Not juzh but I think red bull and McLaren were flattered today by Ferrari being out of position. Sure Norris wasn't pushing at the end but leclerc's clean air pace was formidable and Leclerc (imo) would've beaten Max with a clean Q3, and maybe even started on pole/won.

It also made McLaren's pace possibly look better than it was. RB20 is obviously out of its window at Singapore, but it was still the third fastest team in the race behind Ferrari. Taking Ferrari out of that picture (as qualifying did) and it makes the McLaren look more dominant than they were in terms of pace. Sure the delta between red bull and McLaren was not exaggerated but you'd expect it to be sizeable at a track like this anyway.

If max finishes 20s behind Leclerc and Lando fighting for victory at Singapore, in my opinion I'd be perfectly fine with that. It's primarily the Ferrari absence due to quali making McLaren feel untouchable/otherworldly
Last edited by organic on 23 Sep 2024, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.

Watto
Watto

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 19:02
Looking forward to the Marko excuse report, err I mean column…

“If only Max didn’t make a mistake he would have won and everything is fine…”
Yeah, for sure. Its become less and less believable really. Even now I am I am struggling to believe much. The we can track the mistake back to last year, when Perez started to struggle. Today Perez struggled again and it if nothing else makes you wonder how much they understand or have the issues solved - I know the real fixes aren't going to be on the car until Austin but the testing leaves a few questions.

I don't think there is any chance of the Austin update making the fastest car but maybe more clear 2nd best car. Where they may get a luck for a win, right now they need a lot.

ispano6

KimiRai wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 20:11
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 19:27
The pitstop time average (moving average) has been increasing with every race. Something is very wrong at this team.

https://i.postimg.cc/nr1X4kxk/image.png
Andor Hegedus left to join Aston Martin in late 2023. It's not a one-man show of course but it could be one of the reasons.
Lee Stevenson as well and Sauber has really improved their pitstops too.

Paa

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 19:27

The pitstop time average (moving average) has been increasing with every race. Something is very wrong at this team.
They used to be the best in this so we know that the tools and procedures are there. So they must lack only on execution side.
So it is either high fluctuation or low motivation of pit crew. Possibly some combination of the two as these usually come together.

It is interesting that Sergio's pit stops tend to be faster, which has been the trend for quite some time. We used to think they kept it safe with Max as they used to have the margin to do so in recent years. But the margin is not there anymore and Verstappen"s pit stops are worse than ever. It could be that pressure is simply higher when they work on Max?

Sergej
Sergej

Watto wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 01:37
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 19:02
Looking forward to the Marko excuse report, err I mean column…

“If only Max didn’t make a mistake he would have won and everything is fine…”
Yeah, for sure. Its become less and less believable really. Even now I am I am struggling to believe much. The we can track the mistake back to last year, when Perez started to struggle. Today Perez struggled again and it if nothing else makes you wonder how much they understand or have the issues solved - I know the real fixes aren't going to be on the car until Austin but the testing leaves a few questions.

I don't think there is any chance of the Austin update making the fastest car but maybe more clear 2nd best car. Where they may get a luck for a win, right now they need a lot.
The Austin correction doesn't need to make the car fastest again, and it probably won't (that would be Ferrari level of copium), it is "enough" to make it consistently second fastest so that Max can get comfortably to the podium.

To put it into perspective, if Max can outscore Lando in only one of the remaining weekends, then Lando has to make 11 points per weekend in the remaining 5, meaning that for Max it's enough to get to the podium (yes there are still the sprint and FL points but you get the picture).

If with a more stable and fast car Max can even manage to steal a win in a favourable track (I don't know which one could be), the picture is even better. Of course the Austin correction has to work, otherwise is game over probably.
Last edited by Sergej on 23 Sep 2024, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

avantman wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:32
Watto wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:13
I certainly think a lot depends how much red bull recovers in Austin and how much they really understand their issues.

What was essential a 30+ sec lead to Lando without traffic will be a lot to claw back.

Add that Ferrari and Merc might fight for the odd win too . It also perhaps means races where Max may finish 4,5,6 etc.

A lot has to go right for Lando at the same time the gap can quickly come undone too
there is no way red bull could recover their deficit to mclaren in tire deg, because it has been very significant ever since miami, where mclaren brought their B-spec car to the track. red bull can find some quali pace, some race pace, to be in better position to fight against and fend off mercedes and ferrari, but there won't be any fight against mclaren. these cars are in different class and have been for a while, no upgrade will close that gap, its literally impossible. even if max outqualifies lando on every circuit, or jumps ahead of him on the start, lando will do to max what he did in zandvoort. you can overtake quite easily on all circuits left on the calendar. mexico city might be the only exception, and this track is also my biggest hope for max to extend the lead. he has won the '21 championship with his exceptional move on the start in mexico in 2021 effectively. who knows, me might do it again.
I'm a McLaren fan but I don't think the things are as gloom as you make it for Red Bull. McLaren was utterly dominant only on three high downforce tracks (Hungaroring, Zaandvoort and Singapore). They were also very fast in Monaco but Leclerc got a great pole and that was it.

Don't extrapolate McLaren pace from Singapore just like their pace was not dominant after Zaandvoort or Hungary (which would have been another Lando 20+ second win without the swap). In other races, McLaren was fast but usually challenged by at least one other team. If this didn't happen the WDC fight would be a lot closer.

Mexico is probably a bad choice of a race to think McLaren is beatable. It is a high downforce track (though the air is less dense) so it should suit the McLaren just like Singapore, Zaandvoort and Hungaroring did.

The championship may come down to the battle of the updates between the four top teams. If McLaren stays on top but any teams jump between Red Bull and McLaren that is a huge risk for Red Bull. They have to stay at least closest to McLaren to keep things in their hands. For WDC Red Bull doesn't really need to beat Ferrari or Mercedes at this point, only important target is Lando.

It will be very interesting to see what teams bring to Austin. I expect all teams to bring their final update there.

basti313
basti313

Sergej wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 09:05
The Austin correction doesn't need to make the car fastest again, and it probably won't (that would be Ferrari level of copium), it is "enough" to make it consistently second fastest so that Max can get comfortably to the podium.

To put it into perspective, if Max can outscore Lando in only one of the remaining weekends, then Lando has to make 11 points per weekend in the remaining 5, meaning that for Max it's enough to get to the podium (yes there are still the sprint and FL points but you get the picture).

If with a more stable and fast car Max can even manage to steal a win in a favourable track (I don't know which one could be), the picture is even better. Of course the Austin correction has to work, otherwise is game over probably.
I think this calculation is too optimistic. The reality in Spore was the same as in Azer:
- Both Ferrari out of position.
- One Merc out of position...Russel qualified behind Ham. Screwed strategy on Ham, with a Med he could have gone for an undercut.
- Piastri stuck behind the Mercs.

Simple point is, that Max showed a perfect execution. Not 100% sure about the stop, but the rest was perfect.
Still P2 is a result of luck, not of pace. With a McLaren pushing through the race and without clumsy execution by Merc and Ferraris, this would have been again behind all others like last year or like Azer.

I fear a stable car is not enough. The next 5 races, except Vegas maybe, are not on difficult tracks, the execution errors will be less. I think they need a good upgrade to stay in range of the podium. And then the calculation looks completely different.
Don`t russel the hamster!