2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 01:09
214270 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:53
Tvetovnato wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:35
Dear lord what a complete garbage dump this thread has become. Gets worse race by race. Unbelievable.

Is it forum traffic that is prioritized no matter what or what is it?
Exactly. On the Ferrari & Rb threads they have good amateur data analysts & “experts” who contribute regularly & sort of up the contributing standards, in the Merc we’ve got some of the dumbest musings anywhere on this forum. It’s a problem
Are you one of those contibutors? Can you point us to your profound data analyses in this thread?
No I’m not, I don’t have the data access or inclination frankly; it’s implied in my comment none exist in the Merc thread inclusive of me. Best we have is Luscion but that’s largely on the team news front. Rarely do any traces/telemetry grace this thread & we’re worse off for it. Anything goes on here regardless of how ludicrous
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

mendis
mendis

214270 wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 10:39
j_ste wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 09:42
Unless he fits the tyres on the car himself…there is only so much he can do. Evidently…

https://x.com/MercedesAMGPCF1/status/18 ... 4259009576

This team. They used to be so disciplined and now, roulette
Vid link:

I don't understand when would Toto and company would understand that they simply give whatever Ham wants and don't be bothered about gambling and experimenting as he always goes public with his complaints. Then they can simply let him take responsibility of any outcome, good or bad. Atleast people don't have to listen to his complaints. Problem is, he doesn't like it when his team mate does a gamble and gets advantage out of it. He then says, that gamble was supposed to be mine! How does Mercedes solve this problem?

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

This team is a mess, still. To be so far behind mclaren who is a customer teams just makes it look even worse. I'm not sure how much of it lies with the drivers, the setups, the engineers, designers but collectively it's a tragic showing.

In Singapore the lead merc car must have been more that 1.2sec per lap slower that lando.

Far more to worry about than the ever ending George v Lewis debate

Vanja #66

214270 wrote:
j_ste wrote:
Unless he fits the tyres on the car himself…there is only so much he can do. Evidently…

Vid link:

Thanks for sharing, so much about Lewis going with it knowingly and willingly :lol:

The more this happens, the bigger his motivation will be in Ferrari - there won't be any nonsense like this, no experiments, no wondering around from setup to setup and serial downgrades 3 seasons in a row. He's gonna sit and drive and the only thing he'll be focused on will be adapting the car and himself to extracting 100% of its potential

Absolutely no way to end the tenure of their greatest Champ, Toto has to go asap
Last edited by Vanja #66 on 24 Sep 2024, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

SiLo

It was a stupid gamble to be honest. A better gamble would have been one on hard, one on medium.
Felipe Baby!

j_ste
j_ste

I don't understand when would Toto and company would understand that they simply give whatever Ham wants and don't be bothered about gambling and experimenting as he always goes public with his complaints. Then they can simply let him take responsibility of any outcome, good or bad. Atleast people don't have to listen to his complaints. Problem is, he doesn't like it when his team mate does a gamble and gets advantage out of it. He then says, that gamble was supposed to be mine! How does Mercedes solve this problem?
The sands of time…no issues next year with Kimi likely being way off George. But that’s just a plaster on a bullet wound

The strategists usually get things right…it’s why when things go completely wrong, that it sticks out.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

The gamble was interesting but it was high risk for little potential reward. I don't think it was realistic to expect to jump into the lead, but let's say he takes P2. This means he needs to keep Max behind. This should be possible as Max cannot risk a DNF so any type of strong defense by Hamilton should work. Then when pit window starts he undercuts Max and takes home P2.

Problem with the gamble is that if you don't jump Max at the start, you are done. You shouldn't really slow down your teammate so the team will bring you in earlier than they would against another driver and then you have a super long stint till the end.

Big big gamble to getting only 3 points more.

Matt2725
Matt2725

So Lewis is saying he has no agency or say over his tyre choice?

Sorry but I don't believe that for a second. Hamilton has been economical with the truth previously and is likely leaving out a few crucial details as to his involvement in that process. Either that or every success he's had in the past is all down to the team and not any decision he's ever made personally. He can't have it both ways.
Last edited by Matt2725 on 24 Sep 2024, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

DGP123
DGP123

You will never know the truth. Thread, as expected, will now just split. One side blaming Hamilton, and the other blaming the team. All in all, you will not come any closer to knowing the truth, as to what went down in house

All in all, whichever strategy they used, Merc were not at the races. Russell started P4, and ended P4. Max & Lando drove away, Piastri easily passed him, and only just survived a late onslaught by Leclerc. Hamilton would have been in the same boat, had he started on the medium.

Matt2725
Matt2725

The only tyre gamble I could see that would be maybe worth a go, is putting Russell on hards at the start to try and go long for a faster final stint on mediums.

Jurgen von Diaz

So Hamilton is going to receive the Bottas and Kovalainen treatment for the rest of the season. It could be described with one word: 'karma'.

Quantum

https://formu1a.uno/en/wolff-admits-mer ... l-evening/
And that was the wrong decision that we all took together jointly. It felt like a good offset, but with the real tyre deg that we had, there was just one way, and that was backwards.
"Interplay of triads"

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 11:31
214270 wrote:
j_ste wrote:

Vid link:

Thanks for sharing, so much about Lewis going with it knowingly and willingly :lol:

The more this happens, the bigger his motivation will be in Ferrari - there won't be any nonsense like this, no experiments, no wondering around from setup to setup and serial downgrades 3 seasons in a row. He's gonna sit and drive and the only thing he'll be focused on will be adapting the car and himself to extracting 100% of its potential

Absolutely no way to end the tenure of their greatest Champ, Toto has to go asap
Is this sarcasm? You might want to ask VET and LEC how much of a no brainer Ferrari's strategy calls are. If it will be anything like in the past, the fireworks are ready.

PlatinumZealot

Quantum wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 09:41
venkyhere wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 17:47
Ferrari of 2022, McLaren of 2024 have often been at the receiving end of 'clown strategy' decisions. But we must remember, they were all under the pressure of 'time' and a 'live race'. Compared to that, the decision to go for S for Hamilton before the race even started , has by far been the biggest 'blunder wearing a gamble/punt' disguise in my recent memory.
Hamilton is part of the strategy decision making process. He could have said NO at any point in that process.
He was ignored in this case.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Quantum wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 13:15
https://formu1a.uno/en/wolff-admits-mer ... l-evening/
And that was the wrong decision that we all took together jointly. It felt like a good offset, but with the real tyre deg that we had, there was just one way, and that was backwards.
Agreeing and deciding is not the same thing.

In business you have to say "we took decision together" when you are representing your team, company or group after a decision was made. It's just aformality. However you can still sya you disagree with it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028